PDA

View Full Version : Glue for gas checks

n.h.schmidt
04-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi Everybody
This is for all you who use home made gas checks and/or older Lyman non crimped checks. Its known that if the checks stay on all the way to the target,that is best for grouping. Its also known that home made checks rarely stay on without help. What glues have been found to work well for holding the checks on? Thanks
n.h.schmidt

Calamity Jake
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I use Super Glue for the old Lyman 41's, seems to work pretty good.
Don't have problems with other calibers.

Down South
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
I've never used glue for my GC's but I've heard any type of the instant glues like Super Glue works.

beagle
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I quite frequently use Super Glue on the GC before sizing. I find that it gives more consistent groups with .22 cast as I suspect I was getting some lost checks causing flyers. I know I was as my chrony plactic shield looked like it had been hit with shrapnel./beagle

Hanshi
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
:drinks: Never had much problem with losing gas checks but that's an idea worth exploring. :-D:-D

n.h.schmidt
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys
I will give the Ca (super glues) a try. I just thought JB weld or other filled epoxy may work too. Will try that as well.
n.h.schmidt

Willbird
04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
I have used loctite black max for other things, it may be overkill but you can glue a primer or a percussion cap onto the nose of a 22lr bullet and fire it and they stay glued on til they hit the target.

Bill

Safeshot
04-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Glue works for me. If the gas check fits fairly well I like to use the "liquid " Super Glue. If the gas check is loose and/or has wrinkles around the edges (as some "home made" gas checks I have tried have) the "gel" Super Glue seems to work better for me. I have had the best results by pressing the gas check "straight on the (clean) base of the bullet" with the super glue on the base of the bullet (not crimping or sizing the bullet). Wipe off any excess Super Glue that is forced out of the joint immediately. After the Super Glue is completely dry/cured apply LLA bullet lube and size the bullet and size/crimp the gas check in place with a Lee sizing die. The only gas checks that I have found that separated from the bullet were those that separated after impact with the berm or bowling Pins. Good luck.

shotman
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
why not buy GOOD gas checks? You spend thousands on guns and worry about $30 a thousand for GOOD gas checks. I have not had a Hornady to come off[that i found]

Mallard57
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Ummmmm...........,
When you can find them.
Jeff

n.h.schmidt
04-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks again guys. It looks like the super glues and Loctite is the way to go.
As to bothering with home made checks instead of buying crimp on checks. I find satisfaction in the do it yourself stuff. Isn't that what we all do in the cast bullet hobby? Dinking around endlessly is what this hobby is all about. Some do spend thousands on their guns. Sadly I don't have the rescources to do that. The two guns I'm now working on cost me less than some reloading presses or even three thousand primers at current prices.
n.h.schmidt