PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 45-70 Blowup

missionary5155
04-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Good morning
NOT MINE ... But over on Paco´s place is a eyeopener with fotos of a Marlin 45-70 that blewup with cast loads. :( From what I read there was a boolit stuck in the barrel near the chamber and the follow up shot blew the barrel and receiver apart.
Sure got my attention reading it. :coffee:
Mike in Peru

badgeredd
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Good morning
NOT MINE ... But over on Paco´s place is a eyeopener with fotos of a Marlin 45-70 that blewup with cast loads. :( From what I read there was a boolit stuck in the barrel near the chamber and the follow up shot blew the barrel and receiver apart.
Sure got my attention reading it. :coffee:
Mike in Peru

It sounds like someone forgot to put powder in the case! Well DUH!

Nothing like checking every case for the proper charge, I'd say.

Edd

WHITETAIL
04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
5155, That is hy you should have no distractions when loading!:Fire:

wonderwolf
04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Can somebody really not pay that much attention when shooting that they miss the full recoil and a bullet impact down range? I'm always impressed with this kind of thing whenever I read about it. I know Nonte has a story about a guy filling the barrel of his revolver with bullets while he was trying to shoot a horse. It just seems to me that you would realize something was amiss if you had a round go "pop" and it act like a normal round.

jimkim
04-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Is this the same rifle? http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,43117.0.html

This one was blown up by a case full (we think) of ACC #7 instead of RL-7. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27612.0.html

nitroproof
04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Almost happened to me some 30+ years ago. Was shooting reloads in my 1895 Marlin off the bench at the range, one shot made absolutely no noise, worked the action and out came an empty. Figured I'd just forgot to load a new round. My guardian angel was on duty that day and wispered "check the bore". a 400 grain jacked slug was stuck in the bore! Ever since I give every reload a shake to hear the powder or give them a quick check on the electronic scale.

Shooting skeet/5-stand/trap I always peer down the bores before reloading (advantage of shooting a SxS).

MtGun44
04-12-2009, 01:51 PM
The remaining case on the bolt head looks identical. I'd guess it is the same
one.

As is true of any other power tool, you gotta be careful out there when shooting and reloading.

Bill

missionary5155
04-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Is this the same rifle? http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,43117.0.html

This one was blown up by a case full (we think) of ACC #7 instead of RL-7. http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,27612.0.html

This appears to be the same one as the cartridge base in the receiver and the Unfired cartridge in the mag tube look similar.

NHlever
04-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I have sectioned revolver barrels that had more than one cylinder full of bullets in them. The guys kept shooting until the cylinder wouldn't turn because a bullet was bridging the barrel / cylinder gap. No damage to the old Security Six's except the junked barrel. I've also shot cast bullets in 30-30's when I was young with little powder. I remember testing one load, and hearing a psssst .... Pop for the first two rounds, and then just Psssst on the third one. Sure enough that one was still in the bore. Yes, I would think someone would notice something was wrong usually.

04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Under understandably different circumstances, soldier's rifles from Civil War battlefields have been recovered with multiple bullet/charges in them. Not the same as punching paper, holy cow!!

1950Target
04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
When I was 9 years old and my oldest brother who was 12 years older than me took up handloading and had a willing helper in me, emphasized paying close attention to charging to the point that I developed the HABIT on my own of whenever loading ANYWHERE NEAR MAX DENSITY, to set my powder measure to throw 0.5 grain LESS than I wanted and throw the charge into the scale pan and use a trickler to get where I wanted.

The consistency of individually weighed charges pays off in consistency of loads and corresponding accuracy.

When load to plink I set the powder measure charge the cases directly in 100 rd lots and before seating bullets randomly select 15 cases to individually weigh.

I am proud to say in 43 years of handloading I've never had any sort of accident.

Some may say all this is too much trouble or too time consuming, I enjoy handloading, take pride in the product of my labor and can exchange the small investment in time and attention to protect my eyes, face, hands, arms and life.

Heavy lead
04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
When I was 9 years old and my oldest brother who was 12 years older than me took up handloading and had a willing helper in me, emphasized paying close attention to charging to the point that I developed the HABIT on my own of whenever loading ANYWHERE NEAR MAX DENSITY, to set my powder measure to throw 0.5 grain LESS than I wanted and throw the charge into the scale pan and use a trickler to get where I wanted.

The consistency of individually weighed charges pays off in consistency of loads and corresponding accuracy.

When load to plink I set the powder measure charge the cases directly in 100 rd lots and before seating bullets randomly select 15 cases to individually weigh.

I am proud to say in 43 years of handloading I've never had any sort of accident.

Some may say all this is too much trouble or too time consuming, I enjoy handloading, take pride in the product of my labor and can exchange the small investment in time an attention to protect my eyes, face, hands, arms and life.

Agree wholeheartedly, with all 10, and both eyes intact.

cajun shooter
04-13-2009, 07:33 AM
I 've seen the pic's and read the story. It seems that the owner of the rifle is telling that story and some people that know him have some doubt. He could have overloaded a case or several other things and does not want to fess up for being that stupid. So it's like when I was a cop and the person who runs off the road and hit's the tree. Everyone was trying not to hit that dog!!

pietro
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
[the person who runs off the road and hit's the tree. Everyone was trying not to hit that dog!! ]

Or, alternatively, the tree that got in front of their car. ;) :violin:

Four Fingers of Death
04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
I remember seeing a double decker bus that crashed near the rubbish tip when my mate and I were on the way to shoot a heap of rats. The road was not very wide and was very twisty. There was a telegraph pole situated right on the bend on the side that didn't have a sidewalk (read dirt track for pedestrians) and the bus driver had cut the corner a bit and slammed into it with the side of the bus. doing extensive damage to the side of it.

There was the old cop from the local police station who was well known around the area as he was a bit of a character. The bus driver was an Italian with a very broad accent. The cop said how 'fast were you going?' 'Twenty miles an hour, I'm'a going real slow!!' The cop then said 'and how fast was the pole going?'

Thinking back it was interesting to note that this was in the suburbs of Sydney and we were both carrying 22 semi auto rifles walking along the street. We were rubbernecking with the locals and no one paid us any attention. The old cop actually said 'G'Day boys' and smiled and ruffled my hair as he walked past. I hate to think what would happen nowadays. Kinda like that girly movie, steel magnolias, Dad out front of the house shooting squirrels or birds out of the tree so that their wedding/ party would go alright. Just off the main street of the town.