PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

Daves1
04-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Which Lyman lubrisizer to buy and why? The classic old 45, or the Gray doublestrap 450, or the Orange 450 with cushy handle? Do any of these work or last longer than the other?:cbpour:

beagle
04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I'd go for the 450s. I have one of both styles and either does a fine job. The orange single handle job looks more frail in design although I've never broken a handle.

From what I'm reading, they're better than the 4500s.

The #45 is nice but a little fragile for general use although I used one for 20 years or so and broke the base by dropping it. There are no parts for these from Lyman./beagle

atr
04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I have the classic 45...its worked great all these years (45+).....I size boolits up to 30 cal but if I were sizing boolits in larger calibers I would opt for a more robust sizer....

the 45 works well but you have to be careful about the lubricant...if it is cold and wouldn't flow into the die, then the pressure builds and you run the risk of cracking the cast iron body of the sizer...my advice is to use lubricant which is flowable in cold weather or...as I do,,,,warm under a heat lamp to get the lubricant flowing

atr

Calamity Jake
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I would spend a little extra and go with the RCBS for the strength and warranty and be done with it.

JMO

dubber123
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Of the choices given, the gray double strap. I have one, and also one of the newer orange 450's. The newer one has alot of cast linkage the older one doesn't have. The gray model with the steel lingage is much better built. Or buy an RCBS....

freedom475
04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
+1 for the RCBS

Bret4207
04-10-2009, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't buy a 4500. Nothing but trouble from what I hear. I have a 45 and gray 450, the nod goes to the 450. Given my druthers I'd buy a used RCBS before I bought a used Lyman, but I started with an RCBS and it just feels better. Get an older one that uses the ratchet handle if you can.

Daves1
04-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm staying away from the 4500, no good reports anywhere.

sviolett
04-10-2009, 09:32 AM
What about the Saeco brand?

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 09:37 AM
its interesting to look at the different makes.they all are based on the lyman.
the saeco is much like the old lyman,pre 45.with Meepos dies
the RCBS looks like a modified lyman.
just what is wrong with the new lyman 4500???. I have two #45s.they work good.
the saeco takes their own dies the RCBS and Lyman dies interchange.that should tell you something.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Maven
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Daves1, I have two RCBS Lub-A-Matics and one Lyman #450 and really don't see too many differences between them. However, the RCBS is a bit trickier to use when lubing very long CB's, but it has a H & I (sizing die) retaining nut that's more robust than the one on the #450. Moreover, RCBS machines have varied over the years with some having a solid base (uses solid lube) and some not (uses hollow lube sticks) as does the #450. Those without the solid base can leak/extrude lube because of that, but that's very easy to remedy (See my earlier post in this room.). Also, the body castings of the #450's and Lub-A-Matics that take the hollow lubes appear to be identical to one another. Lastly, the RCBS lifetime warranty is something to consider, although in candor, I've never had a problem with my #450 or Lyman's customer service when I needed parts (not free though).

Shiloh
04-12-2009, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't buy a 4500. Nothing but trouble from what I hear. I have a 45 and gray 450, the nod goes to the 450. Given my druthers I'd buy a used RCBS before I bought a used Lyman, but I started with an RCBS and it just feels better. Get an older one that uses the ratchet handle if you can.

Mine is also gray. Are some orange??
I just acquired a Lyman 45 I'm not sure if it is all there. Any suggestions on finding out?? Any resources for info??

Shiloh

Storydude
04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Post a pic.

DLCTEX
04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a Lyman 45 that I bought used 6 years ago that has sized thousands of boolits for me. I also have an RCBS that I also bought used about the same time, same results. I have sized 45 cal. boolits with both, but if sizing WDWW I use the RCBS. I did break the handle of the RCBS on some hard boolits (spot welds broke) but repaired it with a hose clamp and have used it three years this way. Need to contact RCBS for warrenty on several items. I would select a RCBS if buying a new one due to strength and warrenty.