PDA

View Full Version : stupid question (lyman 4500)

TREERAT
04-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Just got my first lube sizer, could not afford size die and top punch yet. something I do not understand, how can the push rod ever reach the bullet to push it back up,:confused: could I be missing something since I have not even seen a size die yet. do they mabye have a piece inside the die that the push rod acts apon? could someone please post a picture of the inside of a lyman sizing die? also the base of my new 4500 looks like a chunk of metal broke out and was welded back up before they did the hammer tone finnish, very noticable and sloppy.

Bret4207
04-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Yes, there's a tightly fitted rod in the die that pushes the boolit back up out.

On the 4500, yours is not the first complaint I've heard of.

1Shirt
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Have a couple of 4500's, and an early variation, along with an RCBS. All work satisfactorily, however, there is more quality built into the RCBS. If I were buying new, I would go with RCBS. They both use the same dies.
1Shirt!:coffee:

atr
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
these sizers are made of cast iron and the cast has been known to split/break if the presssure from the lub is too great....it gets to great if its cold and wound't flow into the die.....sounds like whoever had this sizer before you had this problem....

TREERAT
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
sounds like whoever had this sizer before you had this problem....
Brand spanking new outa the box! I bought the whole casting kit from Lyman. that is why I am complaining. I wonder if they sold me a repair job, refinished at new price?

codgerville@zianet.com
04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Last year I bought a new 4500 and was really disappointed in the quality of the casting and the finish. The mounting base is not even machined flat so I have to use a rubber pad under it. I have an older 450 which is built far better, and an RCBS which is also very well built. Seems that Lyman's quality has slipped over the years.