PDA

View Full Version : Primers,Paid to Much???

smokemjoe
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Tuesday I bought a 1000 Fed. Large rifle primers for $37.00 with tax, I walked out the gun shop door saying what did I do that for, Today I called a friend that once had a gun shop, I got got 2,000 Rem. large rifle for $27.00 a 1000, and I know he didnt pay much over $12.00 for them. Been stored in his bedroom , Wasnt that $37.50 kind of high, Gunshop said the shooters themselfs have caused this as OBomber has done nothing, Whats ya think, $37.50 Smokemjoe

pumpguy
04-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Supply and demand. They had them and you wanted them more than you wanted the 37 bucks in your pocket. No regrets allowed.

opentop
04-09-2009, 12:24 AM
look them up on GB and see what they are bringing. 37.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to GB prices.

Throckmorton
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
since I can't find ANY of any kind right now,I'd pay it.

I wouldn't lke it,but I'd pay it.

waco
04-09-2009, 01:28 AM
how long before the primer companies can catch up with demand?
any ideas anyone?:???:

mike in co
04-09-2009, 01:34 AM
about half price......one of my customers, a commercial relaoder was paying 30 plus for primers last weekend.
70-75 at the local gun shaow last weekened

you did fine IF you needed them.....if for inventory......wait and see

opentop
04-09-2009, 02:03 AM
any ideas anyone?

I talked to my primer supplier yesterday and he said Winchester is 270 million rounds of ammo behind schedule. CCI is making 1 million primers a day, 7 days a week and they are 95 million behind schedule.

Buckshot
04-09-2009, 03:17 AM
any ideas anyone?:???:

.............The component makers are not going to make any drastic effort to "Catch Up". They may add some temporary unskilled labor in areas where they might be needed, but I seriously doubt they're going to hire and train new machine operators, setup people or maintenance people for something they surely view as temporary. Remember, this happened back in the late '90's when Clinton threatened component taxes and restrictions.

While it wasn't as widespread as this hiccup appears to be, the current frenzy level can't be maintained long enough to make such things feasible for a manufacturer. Also, the people that make the primers are NOT walk in's off the street. Part of their maufacture is a manual hands on deal that requires great care. You also have lead times to deal with in material procurement. Many manufacturers operate on a JIT (Just in Time) inventory situation.

Some might be able to take some steps to slightly boost production as much as possible without sacrificing safety or quality. I'd bet that any legitimate increase won't make a heckuva difference overall. A 10% increase across the board would be major. Consider if you walked into your favorite gun place and they had 15K assorted primers on the shelf. That 10% increase would represent only 1500 more primers. One and a half 1K bricks. With the current feverish buying it wouldn't even be a speed bump.

................Buckshot

Lloyd Smale
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
ill give you 120 bucks shipped for all three. I cant find a single pack of lg rifle or sm rilfe here anywhere. Im pretty well set on pistol primers but sure would like to run into about 10k of each of the rifle primers.

smokemjoe
04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Yous made feel better, Its hard to eat $37.00 a 1000 when I got primers back in the 60s for $25.00 for 50,000 or $50.00 with 50 lbs.- 4831 from Bruce Hodgen, Even when the last primer scare was on you could get primers for under $10.00 a 1000 from powder valley if u ordered over 100,000, Guess we seen the good days. Thanks for the lift. SJ

NVcurmudgeon
04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Tuesday I bought a 1000 Fed. Large rifle primers for $37.00 with tax, I walked out the gun shop door saying what did I do that for, Today I called a friend that once had a gun shop, I got got 2,000 Rem. large rifle for $27.00 a 1000, and I know he didnt pay much over $12.00 for them. Been stored in his bedroom , Wasnt that $37.50 kind of high, Gunshop said the shooters themselfs have caused this as OBomber has done nothing, Whats ya think, $37.50 Smokemjoe

I don't think you paid too much, Joe. I haven't been completely frenzied, but I have doubled my usual inventory of primers just in case, 18,000 instead of the usual 8,000. Prices in northern Nevada have been $32-$37/1000 lately, if you can find them. Betcha when the current madness subsides, there will be little, if any lowering of prices.

mike in co
04-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I don't think you paid too much, Joe. I haven't been completely frenzied, but I have doubled my usual inventory of primers just in case, 18,000 instead of the usual 8,000. Prices in northern Nevada have been $32-$37/1000 lately, if you can find them. Betcha when the current madness subsides, there will be little, if any lowering of prices.

unless the mfg raise thier prices, i would expect the prices to become "normal". maybe not the 16 to 20 that we saw a couple of yrs ago, but somthing in the 20-30 dollar range i would think. i sold mine at 22 or so per k in any wolf primer. was not getting rich.

remember this a is a supply /demand issue, not a cost of raw materials issue. not like bullets and brass over the last couple of years( yes most primers have a brass cup)

just have to wait and see.

mike in co

Ole
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
If you only bought 1000, the extra you paid isn't worth worrying about, IMO.

I'd buy them off you for that if you were local, and I'm not short LR primers.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
supply and demand isnt very high in my area. I have had people pass on primers I was selling for $30 a brick saying they wouldnt pay it.. I gave them a chance and if they change their mind they are going to pay this time. $30 didnt seem to bad to me.

69daytona
04-09-2009, 07:02 PM
My local gun shop has small pistol and large pistol primers on hand. I just got 5000 large rifle primers for 27 a brick but cant find any Magnum large rifle anywhere.
I also have 20 lbs of powder coming next week and picking up 4 more lbs tomorrow just for trading for Magnum large rifle primers.
Have had a case of Magnum primers on order and they just keep saying they are over due and should be anytime.
Be thankful for what you paid, people here in Calif are paying 95-100 bucks per 1000

softpoint
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Last gun show I was at I bought 3 k, From a guy walking the floor with them for 30.00 k, There are a few people who now think they bought too many and are letting go of a few. :-D

mike in co
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Last gun show I was at I bought 3 k, From a guy walking the floor with them for 30.00 k, There are a few people who now think they bought too many and are letting go of a few. :-D

well that is sorta true. i bought more, but i can eventually buy more. i dont need any today, so i am not passing up an opportunity to make money... i will be selling at least 5k and maybe more at a gun show next week.

fact is you just reminded me to do an inventory and see what i can live without.

mike in co
just finished inv....found 13k i can live without for a while......

mooman76
04-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't really think you made a bad deal. Not that good either. Some where's in the middle. I hear people all over that can't even get them. I wen't out last weekend to see out of curiosity and could find any at all but vegas doesn't exactly have a lot of relaod places here and then it's spotty. I would have picked up a few k just because they are getting harder to find and I think they will even get harder to find for awhile til things stablize abit. I even went on line and every reload place I could think of had none at all and some weren't taking backorders either. You could have done worse, I've heard of some paying allot more and glad to get them.

smokemjoe
04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
I went out Friday and Today and shot 160 rds. in my M1 Garand and K31, I walked down to the target alot more to save shooting so much. You dont realise how many primers you shoot when you go out 3-5 times a week and then have in your head , what happens if you cant get anymore primers. Thanks- SJ

EDK
04-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Our local shop has WOLF LP for $26.99 and shotgun primers; that's all. I bought another 5000 LP today.
The high end place in Fenton MO didn't have any rifle or pistol primers out yesterday.
The GRAFS store in St Charles MO didn't have much when I was there last...should have bought the 5000 Large Rifle they had the week before! Small pistol are d--- near impossible to find.
Go to GRAFS in Mexico MO web site; then to smokeless powder and primers. The cupboard is pretty bare there also.
You can get more money...and the government is printing more to make yours useless!...but primers and powder are less available. Get what you want and can afford.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

PS I think I'll go back to the shop Monday and get another 5000 LP if he has any left. I like shooting the 44s better than 357s anyhow.

remy3424
04-12-2009, 10:18 AM
It is this hoarding that is creating the current shortage and I am as guilty as the next, I only shoot a 1000 a year but have 6000 in the vault. Do I need to stock than many...no, but the frenzy has got everyone spooked and now it might take years to get through this mentality. Until everyone has 2 lifetime supplies people won't stop buying.

stubshaft
04-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Last Thursday I bought 1K WW SR primers for $45.00. I went in today to buy some more and was told that "because of the shortage we are selling only 100 per customer per day". Then the owner told me that the price was increased to $5.50 per hundred. I left without any primers and WON'T be returning for any of my other needs. I WILL NOT support facilities that prey on consumers.

TAWILDCATT
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I would think that common scense would have you backing of the heavy shooting
to conserve what you have rather than continue to use up every thing you have.I have enuf and have had enuf.I shoot when I feel like it but I am to busy whit othe gun projects to do much shooting.:coffee:[smilie=1:

klcarroll
04-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I would think that common scense would have you backing of the heavy shooting
to conserve what you have rather than continue to use up every thing you have.I have enuf and have had enuf.I shoot when I feel like it but I am to busy whit othe gun projects to do much shooting.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Well, ....I, for one, have put my recreational shooting “on hold”!

…..I just can’t see burning powder now, if there is even a remote chance that we might face a “There-Isn’t-Any” situation in the future.

Kent

Heavy lead
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
I have 2 primers left, that is all:-D One for emergency :roll: And one in case it's a dud:twisted: You just never know.

:bigsmyl2:[smilie=s::veryconfu[smilie=l::killingpc::kidding:

CSH
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Guys, shoot your rimfires if you can't get primers or want to preserve the stash. 22LR ammo is still pretty cheap.