PDA

View Full Version : lightweight 45-70 loads

Loki
02-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I have been shooting with several others for the 45-70, I have some hard cast
300 gr bullets that are giving me poor accuracy. I don't think that they are upsetting on firing, and thus tumble down the bore of my Encore. I have been told that 5744 is a good powder for the 45-70. Is it good for light loads like the 300 grain class of bullets ? Anybody have any suggestions as to cast bullets that can be purchased out of softer alloy, or can I cast them with bullet weight alloy and what mold to use ? I shot some 300 grain jacket loads over some 3031 and they shot fine, so I know the gun and sights will work.

I would really like to find a good lightweight mold that casts these lighter loads out of wheel weights, however I can use softer lead if I must. Any ideas on these would be great !

Loki

drinks
02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
RCBS and Lyman both have 300gr gc molds, as I own the RCBS, I would suggest buying the Lyman.

PatMarlin
02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
LEE's 340gr mold is one of my favorites. I like the RCBS's too.

Look here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3444

44man
02-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "not upsetting and tumbling down the bore?" What are they, .44's? You fail to mention the boolit diameter and bore dimensions so we can't help you a whole lot. Also need the barrel length.
I shoot 300 gr boolits from my 45-70 revolver with extreme accuracy.
If you are shooting the Encore pistol, 3031 is way too slow but for the rifle it is OK. Please give us more information.
Oh yeah, twist rate too.

Dale53
02-16-2006, 02:03 AM
In my Marlin 45/70 lever rifle (early, new issue 1895 with conventional rifling) the Lee 340 shoots very well (1.5" groupds at 100 yards) with a book load of 4198. I use 5/1 ww/linotype

Dale53

Larry Gibson
02-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I have been shooting with several others for the 45-70, I have some hard cast 300 gr bullets that are giving me poor accuracy. I don't think that they are upsetting on firing, and thus tumble down the bore of my Encore. I have been told that 5744 is a good powder for the 45-70. Is it good for light loads like the 300 grain class of bullets ? Anybody have any suggestions as to cast bullets that can be purchased out of softer alloy, or can I cast them with bullet weight alloy and what mold to use ? I shot some 300 grain jacket loads over some 3031 and they shot fine, so I know the gun and sights will work.

I would really like to find a good lightweight mold that casts these lighter loads out of wheel weights, however I can use softer lead if I must. Any ideas on these would be great !

Loki

If you are using the 5744 you are probably pushing the PB bullets to fast. I have found 5744 to not be a good powder for light loads and light bullets in the 45-70. Try 12 gr of Unique, 10 gr of TiteGroup or 8 gr of Bullseye with the 300 gr bullets. These have all shot well in my 45-70 with 300 gr commercial cast bullets. Velocity will range from about 1200 fps down to 1000 fps.

Your bullets should be .458/.459 and should not require "bumping up" when fired. If you get leading due to the hard wax lube simply tumble the bullets in Lee's liquid alox giving them a very light coat.

Larry Gibson

Loki
03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try some of them and see how it goes.

I am using hard cast .458 bullets in an Encore rifle 44Man. I believe that the bullets are too hard and don't seal the bore. That is what I mean by upset. I think the proper term is obturate. Anyway I want to load down so I can shoot more without a shoulder pad. Encore's are light weight 45-70 platforms. I am planning on some fun with this stuff over the next few months.

wills
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Here's a light boolit

Dale53
03-03-2006, 01:03 AM
I have, on loan, a two cavity Lyman mould for the "Collar Button" bullet. I have a bunch cast up but have not yet loaded them. I look forward to nearly no recoil for practice. I'll report further when I get some loaded up.

Dale53

lovedogs
03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Loki... Part of your original question that hasn't been answered is that of commercially available bullets that may be suitable for what you want to do. It may be blasphemy on this site to mention copper plated soft lead bullets such as Rainier Ballistics makes. There are other brands doing the same thing. But if you wanted to just load and shoot without doing your own casting, these could be a viable alternative. Be advised, however, that you must have a good, smooth bore and keep the velocities down. If either of these conditions are violated you'll strip the copper off and lead a bore like you've never seen before. Good luck!