PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 44 Special

Ben
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
I couldn't stand the temptation ( I know you've been there also ! ! )

Ruger 44 Special followed me home today.................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0004.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%2044%20Special/PICT0009.jpg

Heavy lead
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Very nice. Let us know how she shoots.

Ben
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I've got brass on the way. I could use a nice mold for the Special.

Ben

Tom Herman
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I've got brass on the way. I could use a nice mold for the Special.

Ben

Hi Ben!

Try the Lyman 429421... It's a SWEET mold! Casts great bullets. It's easily my favorite mold.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Ben in Cleavland, I am confussed. What exactly is the Ruger that followed you home? It looks like a flat top but it has pins instead of screws. I was not aware that Ruger made a SA in .44spl only. I had an original flat top several years ago but I had to let it go for collage tuition money for my son. Along with the Ruger went a beautiful Colt SA in .45 cal. It was made in 1930. The real tragedy of the story is , three weeks after I sold my friend the pistols, thieves broke into his home and stole 43 handguns. Up untill now nine have been recovered, but nothing of real value. The .44 spl is my favorite center fire cartrige. I like the Lyman 429291 mould. I think I have three of them.

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Ben ,I must make a correction to my previous thread. I should have said my favorite .44 spl mould is 429421. I guess I am too tired to think. After this one is posted I am off to bed. Of course I am still curious about that pistol that followed you home. Actually, I am turning a light shade of green.

old goat
04-09-2009, 01:56 AM
...Gopher....Try this link.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUNVB44SPCL&mfg=Ruger&family=Blackhawk+Series&model=Blackhawk+Flattop&type=Revolver&caliber=44+Special&action=Single+Action&finish=Blue&stock=Black+Plastic

...old goat

Ben
04-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Old Goat:

Thanks for the link, seems quite a few people aren't even aware that this one is being made. Right now it is still a scarce item.

I walked into a large gun shop in the Birmingham area yesterday. There it was NIB in the display case. Temptation got me ! !

Ben

Irascible
04-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I've had my 5 1/2" gun for about a month shoots great. Best fitted Ruger I own. 4 5/8" ordered, but they are not being delivered yet. The only problem is that I had to buy them for list as they are only being sold through long standing Lipsey's dealers. When I ordered mine the MSRP was $475 when I received it the MSRP was $579. I paid $509, but I'm sure it will always be worth that and if Ruger doesn't come out with their own version, it should go up in value in the coming years.

Ben
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Here is what I paid for mine yesterday. How'd I do ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%2044%20Special/PICT0001.jpg

klcarroll
04-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Well, .......I have to admit to belonging to the "I-Didn't-Know-They-Were-Making-That" club!!

I want one.

Kent

C A Plater
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I would have jumped on that one had I seen it. I'll have to check the shops in Birmingham out to see if there is another. I have a standing order with a small shop in Cullman and am still waiting. Congratulations on the find.

runfiverun
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
i just got the ruger hunter bisley in 41 mag,and you gotta find this?
man...
i guess i will see if the shop will take the other 41 in on trade. dangit Ben..
here i am with 44 special brass a couple of 44 molds a set of redding dies and no pistol.

Ben
04-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Beagle is still waiting on his Ruger 44 special. His has been ordered for a long time...........

When I walked in S.E. Guns in Trussville yesterday and saw this pistol, it didn't take me long to start reaching for some $$$$.

Ruger 44 Specials seem to be fairly hard to get right now.

Ben

old goat
04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
...For those who haven't heard, click the link.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44Flattop.htm

...Availability of guns and barrel lengths, vary with each dealer. Some dealers can get them, and some can't.

...old goat

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks Old Gout. God I hate to call you that after sharing that link with us. How about Handsome Old Dude? It looks like I am going to cash in all the pop bottles I have saved. I must have one of those pistols. I would bet you that Ruger has to put on a night shift. I have lots of jacketed bullits I bought from Seirra before they moved to Missouri. I lived close to the plant and would buy seconds from them. I knew a young women who worked in the office and I would call and have her get them for me so I wonder if they are seconds. I also have several moulds in .44. If this pistol has the Colt s.a. grip frame I even have a set of real ivory grips for it. I paid a man in Long Beach ,Ca. a whopping fifty bucks to make them for me back in the mid sixtys. He fit them to a Colt s.a.in 32.20. I converted it to .44 spl. not long after. A coversion I have lived to regret. It kept blowing the ejector off the barrel. I wonder how long before the Ruger .44 spl. are available on the left coast? Gaww, what makes it worse is I foud a modertly priced Luger in a gun shop last Sat. I have been giving some thought to buying it. I guess it will have to go on the back burner.

9.3X62AL
04-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Ben, that is one fine find. GORGEOUS machine!

Slayer, I don't recall having ever seen you get this excited about a short gun in the time I've known you. An encouraging development, and well-justified.

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Another 'didn't know'er.

Is this a Ruger catalog item or is it made to order for a big distributor, kinda like
Lew Horton does with S&W?

Bill

Naphtali
04-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Just as I was about to ask what the attraction is for the Ruger 44 Special when Freedom Arms M97 44 Special appears to be superior in every way, you show me -- every way but one. And that one may be more significant than the M97's superiorities.

Ben
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
MtGun44:

Straight from Ruger's Web site :http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?type=Revolver&subtype=Single+Action&bct=Yes&SearchIn=All&family=Model&variation=Variation&imagefield.x=7&imagefield.y=18&caliber=.44+Special&finish=Finish&blength=Barrel+Length&work=Yes

MtGun44
04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks !

Very interesting.

What does "DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE" mean? Limited distribution channels?

GOPHER SLAYER
04-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Deputy Al, I have had a love affair with the Colt s.a. since I use to watch Hoppy, Gene and Roy along with Durango Kid shoot at the bad guys every Saterday afternoon at the Malone theater in Sikesto , Mo. back in the early 1940s. I was in the Navy in the early1950s when the Ruger s.a. began to appear on the cover of Gun Digest. I dreamed of the day I could own one. When I was out of the Navy and got a job,one of my first puchases was a Ruger single six. While I was stationed in San Diego one of my favorite pass times was going thru the pawn shops on E and F streets. Their cases were filled with all manner of handguns including many Colt single actions which were very expensive at that time and remained so untill Colt started to make them again in1956. They remained cheap untill the early1970s. I bought and sold a few of them during that period thinking they would remain cheap. I haven't done well in the stock market either .

C A Plater
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks !

Very interesting.

In this case it means that it is available through only one distributor, Lipsey's. Often the distributors will come up with a configuration that they think will sell and get the manufacturer to make a run of the special versions with them being the exclusive distribution channel.

old goat
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks !

Very interesting.

...Lipseys had Ruger make them, and they are the only distributor that has them. They will all, in one way or another, come through Lipseys' distributor network.

...old goat

9.3X62AL
04-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Hear that, Gopher. The first handgun I ever fired is now in my safe, a 1906 Colt Bisley 4-3/4" in 32-20. That left a lasting impression, 'cause most of my Ruger S/As have been Bisleys ever since.

These smaller-framed 44 Specials are attractive as can be.

Dale53
04-10-2009, 12:24 AM
I've had one of these ordered for several weeks. My dealer is now "Certified with Lipsey's" so I may have a chance. I have my fingers crossed. I have been waiting for one of these for fifty years!

I have bullets cast and brass waiting. I even have leather ready! I can't wait to get that baby out to the range (here's hoping!:drinks:).

Dale53

GOPHER SLAYER
04-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Al, and to anyone else interested. In the fiftys and sixtys there were two types of Colt single actions that were very difficult to sell. The first was any pistol of the black powder era. I remember a very nice black powder s/a with a 4/3/4 inch barrel in .45 Colt in Lee Crumbs Accuracy Gun Shop in Whittier and the asking price was 75 dollars. I don't know how long it took to sell. The second type that was almost as difficult to sell or trade was the Bisley. I had a collection of law enforcement badges I advertized for sale in the Shotgun News . A man in Los Angelos contacted me and asked if I would trade even for two Bisleys that he had. I declined the offer. I later sold the badges for $485. Those badges today would probably bring two to three grand. I don't know what the Colts would fetch. When I relate these stories of that time I am sure some find them hard to believe. What they don't understand is the dollers I refer to where silver or at least backed by silver. Others might ask how I can remember such details about guns I looked at for mear moments so many years ago. To tell the thruth I don't know. I can say this. If you tell me a story now you had better tell it exactly the same twenty years from now. I do wish I had a delete button in my brain so I could clear out some of the trash. I suppose many of us would like to wipe out some bad memories.

Leadforbrains
04-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I got my brass yesterday and I picked up my 5.5 inch Ruger this morning from Frontier Firearms. So far so good, but the grip feels a little small to me. I just loaded up 50 rnds with 7 grs of N340 with the Lyman devastator hollowpoint. Made for some good lookin boolits. Now if I can just get to the range to try them out. I really am lustin after the shorter barrel version, but I haven't seen one yet.

Leadforbrains
04-10-2009, 08:41 PM

You did good!!! Mine cost me $489.00. Ive been wanting a new .44 pistol and I couldnt pass up a chance to have one of these. I hope I can sneek away to the range tomorrow.:drinks::Fire:

Ben
04-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Leadforbrains :

I'm planning on shooting mine also tomorrow, could you share some results / target pics with us please ?

Ben

Leadforbrains
04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Leadforbrains :

I'm planning on shooting mine also tomorrow, could you share some results / target pics with us please ?

Ben
I will be glad to as soon as I get out to the range. I got honey dos tomorrow and easter is a no go, but I plan on getting to it soon. I have the gun and fifty rounds loaded, and I am looking at them everytime I walk by the table. Its tearin me up inside that I can't get to the range right away.

Leadforbrains
04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
YEEEHAAAH! The wife is sleepin in and I am off to the range!!!!:Fire:

Leadforbrains
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Here's a couple of pictures and the results of a brief visit to the range.
The pistol shot well at 15 yards, but it took me some effort in getting use to the grip. This is the first load I have tried in the Black hawk. It consisted of a Lyman429640 cast out of straight range lead. The boolit was sized to .431 with a gas check installed. I used 7 grs of N340 powder and JPW for lube. The pistol at the bottom is the Blackhawk .44 special.
I have only one .44 mold, and I realize now I am going to have to rectify that.

Ben
04-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I also shot my Ruger 44 special today.

I didn't have a wide variety of bullet styles to shoot today . I only had the RCBS 250 gr. Keith ( sized to .430 ) to shoot in my revolver.

Needless to say, I'm VERY pleased with the accuracy from my new revolver. This is my 1st day out with it. There are many more days of shooting to " fine tune " things with different molds, different powders, etc.

Glad I bought mine ! !

By the way, when I typed in my data on the photos, I stated that there were
5 shots in each target, wrong........... 6 shots were fired at each target at
a full 25 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%202/PICT0004-1.jpg

Ben
04-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I've got big hands, the grips on my Ruger, New Model, 44 special are small.

Would a set of Pach grips be better suited to my big hands.

Which model Pach grip will fit my revolver ?

Thanks in advance .......

Ben

Dale53
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Ben;
It appears to me that you have a WINNER! Yes, and I'm a bit jealous:mrgreen:.

I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

Still waiting...

To answer your question:

Yes, the Pachmayr grip will fit better for a larger hand. The only problem is whether or not Pachmayr makes a grip for your new Ruger .44 Special. I would guess that it is the same as the new, smaller Vaquero and the .357 Anniversary Flattop. My suggestion is to call Pachmayr direct and ask them:

http://www.pachmayr.com/contact/

Dale53

Ben
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Will do Dale...........

Many thanks,
Ben

Leadforbrains
04-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Nice shootin Ben! I see right now that I need to get me one of those Keith molds.
The grips on mine seemed smallish to me to.

Ben
04-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Does a lot of twisting and turning in my hands. I'm not used to that. I think I'll call Pach on Monday and see if they have any grips that will fit the New Model 44 spec.

Ben

9.3X62AL
04-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Looking at the pics of the revolver........I'm wondering if Pachs or other panels designed for the Colt SAA might not fit. You might ask that question, too.

I recently brought home a Police Positive in 38 S&W, vintage 1920. Those hard rubber tiny factory grips do not work in my big ol' paws AT ALL--and the long butt on the older PPs defies fit on any current aftermarket grip other than the Tyler T-Grip or $200 "one-off" Hogues. Diving into my spare grip collection, I found a Pach "Presentation" set to fit D-frame 2nd Generation revos. They were a pretty close fit, only requiring a bit of rubber and metal skeleton removal near the back end of the trigger guard area. Not the most attractive or aesthetically-pleasing grip set on earth, but they work well and that little roller just drives tacks now.

Ben
04-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Hello Al :

I'll be on the phone with Pach on Monday a.m. asking a few questions. If I can get a nice set of grips on this pistol, I'll be good to go !

Thanks,
Ben

Leadforbrains
04-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Hey Ben if you get a set of pachs that work out for you please let us know. I think I could use a good set myself and I will have to add those to my list along with a Keith mold, holster, etc, etc.
I looked at your targets again, and it looks like you have a winning hand with those load combinations. I don't think you need any more tweeking at all!:drinks:

Ben
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I should know something by mid day Monday. I'll post the results of my phone calls.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I called Pachmayer today to try and find out which grips fit the New Model Ruger 44 Special.

The lady told me that RB03137 is the grip that fits the pistol. She said :

" If your pistol is a New Model Ruger Black Hawk ( Not Super Blackhawk) and has a round trigger guard, this Pach Presentation grip ( RB03137 ) will fit the pistol ."

I'm not certain if that it correct or not ? ?

After reading this link :

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-44Flattop.htm

It states ( referring to the New Model Ruger 44 Special ) :
" The grip shape is the New Model XR3, as was introduced on the New Vaquero a few years ago. "

Is there a rubber Pach grip that fits the New Vaquero ?
I don't think so.............? ?

I'm confused

Ben

sixshot
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
The stocks (grips) on the LIpsey's 44's are small, very small. I made these from Holly & because they are thicker they handle much better than the factory stocks.
The set on the right is also Holly, made for an N frame S&W, they aren't finished, I had just made them. The leather is by Mike Barranti, nothing better when it comes to leather.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_1824-1.jpg

Dick

Ben
04-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I want an over sized Pach rubber grip, but I'm still a little unclear as to which model fits the New Model Ruger 44 special. Yes these grips are small ! !

Thanks,
Ben

txpete
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a question is this the same frame that is used on the 50th anniversary 357 blackhawks.
thanks
pete

Jeff H
04-13-2009, 10:58 PM
I have a question is this the same frame that is used on the 50th anniversary 357 blackhawks.
thanks
pete

Yes.

Note, though, that the grip in question - the steel grip frame, is considerably narrower (thinner) than the aluminum grip frames. This is why the plastic grips feel small on the .44 Special. I was excited about the black grips because of having used the old original hard rubber grips on the original XR3 grip frames. Man, what a disappointment! The new ones are like wood rasps and the thin grip frame makes them too small to hang onto right. I sucked it up and ordered from Cary Chapman a set of the plainest grips he had for it in California Olive Wood. His grips are thicker than factory and extremely well done. He is aware of the minor differences and even cut the grip spacer to fit my frame. I ordered and returned Ruger's Rosewood grips - still too thin, didn't fit right and they put polyurethane on a wood that needs no finish which looked cheap. Wasted postage two ways on that lesson. Cary told me he was making some Walnut grips for this frame ("new" XR3) when I ordered but I did not want to wait. The ones I got from him are perfect and put the front sight is "right there" when I bring the 'Special up - every time. I got set #622, same price as 623. They are expensive but it was worth it once I put them on the 'Special I have waited for for decades.

http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

One option to "fatten" the grip panels is to add spacer material, like the vulcanized knife handle spacer material, to the backs of your panels. It comes in different colors so you could create a nice contrast or use black to make it match the originasl. It's amazing though, what a properly shaped set of wood grips will do to a good sixgun.

Don't waste your money on a spring kit either. These seem to be considerably less stiff than any othe NM I have had or handled. Maybe just my imagination but the spring kit really didn't do much at all. Bought a Belt Mountain Base Pin and it measured .001" over the original diameter. "Eyeballing" confirmed good chamber/bore alignment with original and Belt Mountain pins. No discernable gain there.

Overall, this is the sweetest single action sixgun I have ever owned and it shoots great right out of the box. Chamber mouths all let a .430" cast LSWC pass through with a gentle push and feel very consistent. Sights are great - the whole thing is just plain sweet. OK, there was a mile of creep in the trigger but I fixed that.

Jeff H

Dale53
04-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Jeff H;
Thanks for the report. I've heard NOTHING but positive reports on these revolvers (cylinder throat dimensions, accuracy, etc) and am anxious to experience this myself (it's kind of ridiculous me whining when I am sitting here with four FINE .44 Specials but "there it is"...).

I'm still waiting...:veryconfu

Dale53

C A Plater
04-14-2009, 10:26 AM
The grips on the anniversary models is what most refer to as the "New Model Vaquero" style. The others like XR3-red do not fit the new frame with the key lock under the grip. I've found some decorative versions available for the new frame but no oversized yet.

Ben
04-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe the lady at Pachmayer is correct ?

The lady told me that RB03137 is the grip that fits the pistol. She said :

" If your pistol is a New Model Ruger Black Hawk ( Not Super Blackhawk) and has a round trigger guard, this Pach Presentation grip ( RB03137 ) will fit the pistol ."

Guess I'll just order it and if it doesn't fit, return it ? ?

Ben

Dale53
04-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Ben;
Go to Ruger's web site:

http://shopruger.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&categoryId=19071&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=19057&lastCatId=19057&faNav=y

There you will see that the grips that you want to fit the .44 Special, are the same for the New Vaquero and 50th Anniversary Black Hawk, NOT for the New Model Blackhawk. It is possible that Pachmayr is not yet "up to speed" on the models mentioned. That would pain me as I have every intention of getting a pair of Pachmayr's for MY new .44 Special (if and when it comes in...).

Now that you have this new information at hand, I suggest that you call Pachmayr back and get a clearer answer. Maybe you can help each other.

Then, when you have it all nailed down, maybe you can give US the correct part number:mrgreen:

Good luck and keep us informed.

Dale53

Ben
04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Dale53 :

Bad news with a phone call to Pachmayer a few minutes a go

No Pach grips to fit the New Vaquero and 50th Anniversary Black Hawk.

Looks like a dry run..................

Does Hogue have a set of over sized grips to fit our pistols ?

Do you mind checking that out & see if you can get an answer to that one ?

Ben

C A Plater
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I know for a fact the over molded XR3 from Hogue does not fit because I tried it on my .357 Anniversary Special.

Dale53
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Hogue does not have a set of grips that fit, either.

I think I will wait until I get my revolver and maybe make a set of spacers to widen the grips. The other choice is a set of custom grips. I would MUCH prefer Pachmayr or Hogue rubber grips. I'm a shooter, not a collector, and I am a bit like Forest Gump, "Pretty is as pretty does". Maybe, maybe they just may come up with a set, soon (although the New Vaquero has been out for some time already and most Cowboy shooters will not be interested in rubber grips - being more interested in "looking good" than "being good":groner:).

Both Hogue AND Pachmayr have to perceive that they can sell enough to warrant the expense of tooling up and maybe in this "down market" they see no profit in these particular grips.

I just may be forced to make a set out of bone. Now, that would look REALLY good and I could size them like I want. Mm-m-m-m...

Dale53

snake jenkins
04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Very nice! I have an old Bowen custom ruger .44 speccial built using an OMBH .357 with a 4 3/4" Colt New Frontier barrel on it that loves the RCBS 250 KT boollit pushed by 7 grns of Unique

Ben
04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Guess that I'll just sit and wait then. Maybe someone will make a set of oversized grips for these revolvers ?

Ben

Irascible
04-15-2009, 12:46 PM
www.Eaglegrips.com have them for the new model, as does www.gripmaker.com
As far as springs go, The older "New Model", meaning it has the transfer bar, came with 23 lb hammer spring. The New Vaquero, Aniversary 357 and Lipseys 44 have a 17lb spring. I just installed a set of 14 lb springs in a pair of New Vaquero's and there wasn't much felt difference. For my own Bisley Vaqueros, I went from the factory 23 lbs to 17lb Wolfe springs and it was a huge change. I didn't change the hammer spring on my Lipsey's 44 Special, but I changed the trigger spring to 30oz before I even shot it!

Leadforbrains
04-15-2009, 05:14 PM
www.Eaglegrips.com have them for the new model, as does www.gripmaker.com
As far as springs go, The older "New Model", meaning it has the transfer bar, came with 23 lb hammer spring. The New Vaquero, Aniversary 357 and Lipseys 44 have a 17lb spring. I just installed a set of 14 lb springs in a pair of New Vaquero's and there wasn't much felt difference. For my own Bisley Vaqueros, I went from the factory 23 lbs to 17lb Wolfe springs and it was a huge change. I didn't change the hammer spring on my Lipsey's 44 Special, but I changed the trigger spring to 30oz before I even shot it!

I have been looking at a set of Eagle Rosewood Gunfighter grips. I will be ordering a set of those as soon as the money to pay for them is available.

Ben
04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I haven't found any nice rubber over sized grips yet for my Ruger 44 Special ( and probably won't for some time to come ).

However, at least I'm making progress.

For the past 4 or 5 days I wasn't even clear on what to ask for when I was ordering. Now I think I'm clear, maybe this will be a help to someone else wanting grips for their Ruger New Model 44 special.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/VaqueroID.jpg

Dale53
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Well, I have done some more research on grips (and I don't even have my new Ruger .44 Special yet - or even know if I am going to get it) and here is the best information that I have found:

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Scroll on down to the updated section and you will learn (if you already didn't know it) that there are both a New Vaquero (same as Flattops, etc) and a NEW-NEW VAQUERO (that is NOT a misprint - there is a pre-lock New Vaquero and a post lock New Vaquero. The .44 Special should have the same grip as the post lock New Vaquero.

I can see me making a set for mine out of bone or some exotic wood. However, I suspect that first, I'll add spacers to the factory grips and shoot it that way until I finish the custom grips. Of course, for those with smaller hands you may be quite satisfied with the issue grips.

Dale53

Stray Round
04-16-2009, 07:50 PM
How is the front sight on your .44spl's? I have one of the new 357 flattops and the edges of the sight blade are slightly rounded rather than a sharp 90 deg.
Definitely causes a problem sighting in different light.

Wonder if there is a limit on the number of these 44's? You guy are sure making me want one bad.

Leadforbrains
04-16-2009, 09:18 PM
How is the front sight on your .44spl's? I have one of the new 357 flattops and the edges of the sight blade are slightly rounded rather than a sharp 90 deg.
Definitely causes a problem sighting in different light.

Wonder if there is a limit on the number of these 44's? You guy are sure making me want one bad.

There is a limited run of these pistols. There is a link to an article on the first page of this discussion that goes into great detail. I have no issues that I can tell with the front sight being rounded. the only issue I have is that the grip is a little small for my hand. Otherwise it is a great pistol and I like mine alot.

Jeff H
04-16-2009, 11:58 PM
There is a limited run of these pistols. There is a link to an article on the first page of this discussion that goes into great detail. I have no issues that I can tell with the front sight being rounded. the only issue I have is that the grip is a little small for my hand. Otherwise it is a great pistol and I like mine alot.

As I have gathered, there is supposed to be 1,000 each of the 4 5/8" and 5 1/2" versions total. As I have taken from another forum frequented by .44 Special and Ruger nuts, 500 of each are being/have been run recently and the same will occur in the Fall. This is forum heresay at this point but I like mine so much that I have a second 'Special on order as a backup. I personally don't think the CAS crowd sees the 'Special as having the romantic appeal of the .45 Colt and would not count on their demand driving future regular production. As has happened before, there are just enough very passionate and verbal 'Special advocates to nudge someone into making it a production deal only to have it fail for lack of sales. I say we take these 2,000 and run.

Leadforbrains
04-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Jeff I am glad that I found one in the 5.5 inch version. I originally wanted one in the 4 and 5/8ths barrel and I hope I can eventually locate one of those. I'm like you now that I have one I feel the need for a backup.

Four Fingers of Death
04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I bought 1000 x 44 special cases a couple weeks ago, thinking of getting my NIB Marlin into action for cowboy stuff. Must have been fate as I went to a gunshow and saw one of the local gundealers was selling a very neat 44Special Colt. I belongs to a friend of mine who has a stroke recently and can't shoot. Got $1200 on it, I have never seen a real Colt SA for less than $2000 in Australia in any sort of shape. So much for banking the $1000 I am getting for a sale of another rifle.

You have done well, the 44 Specials are sort of sacred to me, being a big Elmer Keith fan. I have owned plenty of 44 mags, but never struck a 44 Special before (not real common in Australia.

Good luck with it, you could duplicate old Elmer's loads with that one for sure.

Mick.

Jeff H
04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
.......I'm like you now that I have one I feel the need for a backup.

Considering that there seems to be a lot of guys still waiting, I am thinking I am VERY lucky to have gotten my mitts on ONE. Has anyone else here had one come in? Anyone else find one yet? I am already daydreaming about a .44 Special New Vaquero. I hope the apparent demand for the Lipsey's .44s gets the Ruger marketing group thinking about that one. Can't say I need any more than the one I have but thinking about it is getting me worked up.

......one of the local gundealers was selling a very neat 44Special Colt...... So much for banking the $1000 I am getting for a sale of another rifle...........Mick.

So, in the end, you helped a friend out and got a .44 Special - a Colt to boot! That's great, Mick! I have always had a "soft spot" for the 'Special myself and it has been my "all-'round round" for a long time.

Dale53
05-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Well, I received my new Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum today. I am going to try to shoot it tomorrow (depending on the weather - rain is forecast). The barrel finish is excellent, but the frame on the bottom sides is not done as well as I could have wished for. There are polishing marks under the blue. The grip frame is fitted well. Ruger has finally truly solved the loading and unloading "problem". Now, with the new design, it is EXTREMELY easy to load and unload. I can do it in the dark. Kudos to Ruger (wonder where they were during the past fifty years?). At any rate, a REAL improvement.

Trigger is not too heavy (didn't weigh it) but it has a "yard" of creep. I'll have to do something about that. The action is "Cowboy Action" smooth and light. The cylinder throats are at .431" and all the same within .0005" and that is GOOD! The cylinder "holes" are smooth and well finished. This one should eject smoothly with little effort. I believe that these babies will shoot. We'll see...

All in all, a great value in a fine handgun. I would like to thank Ddeaton for putting me on to this one (his reward is he got his today, also!:drinks:). We look forward to having an interesting summer with these handguns.

Hopefully, we'll get our .44 Specials before long. We have had one each ordered for several weeks. I am looking for them sometime later this month (wishful thinking?, perhaps)...

Dale53

Leadforbrains
05-02-2009, 10:36 AM
:drinks::drinks:Congrats on your new pistol Dale! I hope your .44 special comes in soon.
I took mine out shooting again Friday and it shot great. No leading and all shots were touching except for a couple of fliers. I'm getting a little more use to the grip now, and it doesn't seem to bother me as much. I really am loving this pistol.[smilie=w:

Dale53
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I guess I can't speak for others, but I suspect that most of us feel the same. We .44 Special fanciers kind of look at this as "Manna from Heaven". It has been a long time in coming and I am as excited as a kid waiting on Christmas. I hope that I am lucky enough to get one (mine has been ordered for weeks).

Still waiting...

Dale53

AnthonyB
05-02-2009, 11:58 AM
My 44 Special went to the range for the first time last weekend. Load was the RCBS 44-250K HP over 7.0 grains Unigue. The pistol range was crowded, so I just shot clods of dirt on the 100 yard rifle berm and scored regularly enough to make this a favorite already. Velocity of the 7.0 load was 930 fps. Tony

Jeff H
05-02-2009, 11:52 PM
.....Hopefully, we'll get our .44 Specials before long....

Dale53

I'm hoping for you as well. I feel guilty haveing one when other 'Special fans don't.

It's the gun I wished Ruger would make for years (and years and years) and is a real treat. I played with a lot of configurations with the OM SBH and just couldn't get it to where I wanted it. Finally settled on an OM .45 Colt with a 5 1/2" barrel (originally 7" but it had been ported), Alpha Precision front sight, SBH hammer, steel ERH.... It was a sweet, nicely balanced and good-shooting big bore but it still wasn't a .44 Special. Ironically, it weighed less than the 'Special does and I would have been as happy with an aluminum grip frame on the 'Special but the steel really is nice so I won't complain. Cured the "creep" and, as you mentioned, there was a LOT of it.

Now you've gone and got me looking at that Anniversary .44! For all the years I shot my OM SBH, I never fully warmed up to it. The grip frame and unfluted cylinder were the two things I least cared for. The Anniversary model looks like it would make it very easy for me to consider a mag again.

Jeff H
05-03-2009, 12:14 AM
...44-250K HP over 7.0 grains Unigue......I just shot clods of dirt on the 100 yard rifle berm..... Tony

Great load and great way to use it. I have not had mine out for that kind of fun yet - just paper to date.

I have shot mostly 7.5 gr. Unique under a 250 Keith so far but found some Lee 208 gr. wadcutters loaded over 5.5 gr. W231 (disclaimer: "in MY gun..." "work up your own..." etc.) which I had loaded for one of my 3" Charter Bulldogs years ago. I used the bar code on the edge of my target stand (cardboard box) as a target and was very impressed with how they bunched up at point of aim. They shot about 8" low at 25 yards from the Bulldog. Brought home 400 flat-base 215 gr. LSWCs today. My best friend casts commercially and makes me bring something home to "test" every time I go see him (what one won't do for a firend:wink:). I am a big fan of the 250 Keith but have a 215 gr. Lyman GC LSWC that shot very well from the mag. I don't usually need gas checks so I would not have bothered with this mold/weight. Interested in seeing what it will do in this 'Special.

JesterGrin_1
05-03-2009, 12:44 AM
I have to ask a DUMB ? lol. Is the Grip Smaller on the Ruger .44 Special than the Black Hawk Hunter in .44 Mag or other Black Hawks?

Dale53
05-03-2009, 12:52 AM
JeffH;
No need to feel guilty. I am happy for you. Hey, it's not like I don't have other handguns. This is just a (heck, you know exactly why I want one - just like everyone else:mrgreen:).

Mine is coming - I can feel it:mrgreen:!!

Dale53

Leadforbrains
05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I have to ask a DUMB ? lol. Is the Grip Smaller on the Ruger .44 Special than the Black Hawk Hunter in .44 Mag or other Black Hawks?

Jester I have and old model SBH in .44mag with Pachmyer grips on it. The grip frame and the factory black plastic stocks on my new .44spcl BH grips are smaller to me. Its not uncomfortable to shoot at all, but it did take a couple of range trips for me to get used to my hand placement on the grip so as not to have to much finger in the trigger well.

insanelupus
05-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Ahhhh, now if they'd only make it with the Ruger Bisley grip frame, it would be perfect!

JesterGrin_1
05-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Jester I have and old model SBH in .44mag with Pachmyer grips on it. The grip frame and the factory black plastic stocks on my new .44spcl BH grips are smaller to me. Its not uncomfortable to shoot at all, but it did take a couple of range trips for me to get used to my hand placement on the grip so as not to have to much finger in the trigger well.

There is one of those .44 Special Rugers for sale here for what I think is a good price of $4OO.oo. And thought about it :). I have smallish hands so for me the standard .44 Mag Black Hawks grips are a little large. That is really why I have been looking at the Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag but the barrel is just too long to me as I would like a 4 5/8" one. As I do not intend to use it as a bat lol. Or for hunting at any distance. It would be just as a carry arm when out hunting.

It is not a huge deal as I do have two S&W 629's one is the Classic and the other is just the older style like the old 29 with the 6 1/2" barrel. But I feel the single action is just more handy than the double action.

Leadforbrains
05-03-2009, 01:21 PM
$400.00 is an awesome price! I dont think you will regret buying it at all.

jforwel
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/jforwel/jpg0061JPG.jpg
Here's mine, I picked it up last month for $479. Those are 429421s off to the side. So far I have had good results with Unique and not bad results with 2400.

I have just received a holster, belt slide, and belt from Simply Rugged, good stuff.

Irascible
05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Ahhhh, now if they'd only make it with the Ruger Bisley grip frame, it would be perfect!

Well, the factory has come out with a Bisley Vaquero on the small frame, so you could, swap one in I suspect!
I would be happy with just the Bisley hammer!

Irascible
05-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Anybody know if the 4 5/8" guns are being delivered yet?

Rodfac
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Yep...picked up mine from a dealer here in Louisville, KY yesterday morning. Serial number 520-178xx, test fired case dated: 4/19/09. $489 delivered. Shot it last night and again this am. With the sun at my back and sitting against the deck supports, 7 gr of Unique and Valley's 200gr TWC shot into 1.125 and 1.00 inch at 25 yds! 240 gr pills of an off make did an honest 2" for six shots. Nice fit and finish, good timing and a trigger pull , (with one of the return springs off its post) of ~2#. A small amt of creep, but it smoothed right up after about ten, "push on the hammer while dry firing to smooth up the sear". It really helps...try it. Couldn't be happier. Spent the afternoon building a Tom Threepersons holster for it. Great packin pistol. Regards, Rodfac