PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs case prep center??

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
IS THE RCBS POWER CASE PREP CENTER WORTH THE COST OR IS IT JUNK?? Im interested in one but would like to know yoou guys think of it

Thanks!!

Dennis Eugene
04-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I like mine only use it for cleaning Primer pockets and chamfering casees inside and out after trimming. Dennis

August
04-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I have one and it works well. It is very difficult to hold onto the brass after a short session of chamfering, however. I got mine before Hornady came out with their version of this idea. I would definitely go with the Hornady unit today because it has a chuck for holding the brass while conducting various operations.

monadnock#5
04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't use mine for everything, but for match ammo I like it a lot. Remove military primer crimp, uniform the primer pockets, debur flash holes, clean the primer pockets, non rotating brushes with a reservoir for mica for the case necks. It really comes into its own when you need to get it done fast. If you get one, make sure to have a cookie sheet to set it in and a brush small enough to get between the stations. You'll be making lots of brass chips.

Jeff.L
04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Have one and use it all the time, have had no problems with it.
Jeff:coffee:

keeper89
04-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I like mine a lot better since I bought a set of mechanic gloves to wear when using it, saves a lot of finger fatigue........:-D

Ron B.
04-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Get one; the best bucks you'll ever spend. And, if you wear the assessories out, call RCBS they'll send you brand new stuff free. I use mine a lot; almost everyday. It's great for everything it's advertised it will do. If you can, dedicate a spot for it in your reloading area.

GRB

BLFD1
04-12-2009, 01:11 PM
(This is a cross post from another thread)

I don't have the Hornady but I do have the RCBS. The Hornady looks like it costs too much and would burn up too much time...

Well, it looks like I'm the minority. I have one (RCBS) and like it. That said, I have also (like most of us) found ways to make it better.

I am in the process of having a Lee hand trimmer turned down with threads that will screw into the prep center. Then I will be able to trim, inside/outside chamfer, primer pocket clean, neck brush/lube, and military crimp remove in the same location. I also have resisted pulling it apart and seeing how I could make it turn faster. But I think I'll let the warranty run out first. I'll post when I make the above improvements.

Chunky Monkey
04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I absolutely love mine.

I like mine a lot better since I bought a set of mechanic gloves to wear when using it, saves a lot of finger fatigue........:-D

I to got a pair of rubber coated work gloves to help hold brass and keep fingers from getting tired.

7of7
04-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I have one also, I use it mainly when I am initially processing brass. Flash hole, primer pockets...
I don't have to deburr the necks anymore because I spent the 50 bucks on the trim pro cutter head that deburs all in one step... so, I a now down to just the primer pockets, and flashholes..

softpoint
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I like mine, I'ts about 5 years old(I think), I've used it quite a bit, no problems so far:-D

crawfobj
04-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I bought one a few months ago and love it. I got mine right before the Hornady unit was introduced, but that one is much more expensive, even for the additional features you get. I have mine set up to chamfer, debur, ream primer pockets, and brush primer pockets.

I drove a brad nail into the chamfering tool to plug the gap that was there. This keeps it from catching the case mouth if I don't have it centered perfectly. I ruined a couple of cases before I came up with this.

runfiverun
04-13-2009, 02:53 AM
ted.
i have had the rcbs unit for quite some time now it sits on the bench right behind the trimmer.
champher,cut primer pockets,flash holes,and crimp remover all right there going at once.
it also has that spot for neck brushes.
waaay better than doing it all by hand.
when removing the crimp.i can check when it's gone,with the primer pocket cutter. when it fits the cutter the crimp is gone.
the lyman flash hole tool and pocket cutter will fit it too.

2Sharp
04-14-2009, 06:32 AM
I really like my RCBS. I champher new cases and clean primer pockets with mine. I put a bandaid on my finger to help hold the case.

bj

bullshot
04-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Get one. When you use it, you will wonder how you got along with out it.

Chunky Monkey
04-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Get one. When you use it, you will wonder how you got along with out it.

Thats exactly what I said to myself! :shock:

Geraldo
04-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I broke my right hand a few years ago and while I was recuperating I planned to shoot a sniper match left handed. The problem was that I was low on reloaded .308 ammo. I asked my wife to help me trim and prep cases with my manual trimmer and a chamfer tool. After a few cases she asked, "Isn't there a better way to do this?" I told her that there were machines for this process but that they were kind of pricey. The rest is history-I ordered an RCBS case prep machine and power trimmer, came in second in the match, and wondered why I didn't buy these tools years before.

04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
7 of 7 what is the TRIM PRO CUTTER HEAD ?

Hardcast416taylor
04-14-2009, 10:09 AM
The trim pro cutter head is an add on from RCBS that lets you set it up for the case you are trimming so you can de-burr inside and outside when you are trimming. I use my case prep machine from RCBS alot for the last 5 yr. or more since I developed "Artie-ritis" in my hands. Robert

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-14-2009, 10:25 AM
This is what got me interested! Anyone set theirs up this way??

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/RCBS%20Trim%20Mate/?action=view&current=HPIM0179.flv

leadman
04-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I have an older (6-7 years?) that I would not be without. On mine the threaded location by itself in front of the housing does not rotate, never has. Maybe mine is broken?

Would like to get the set-up like Idaho Elk Hunter has to trim.

Newfoundlander2
04-14-2009, 06:14 PM
The RCBS is worth it the Hornady is WAY, WAY overpriced (over $400.00 IIRC) and dangerous with its exposed turning sharpened tool heads.

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Midway has them on clearance! $99+ shipping. I was going to get it at Buffalo Arms but they were out of it and the Chargemaster 1500. I can pick up in person there and usually get a better deal than anywhere else after shipping and such. With it on clearance it came out to about the same price as BA

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I have an older (6-7 years?) that I would not be without. On mine the threaded location by itself in front of the housing does not rotate, never has. Maybe mine is broken?

Would like to get the set-up like Idaho Elk Hunter has to trim.

Call RCBS and tell them and more than likely htey will have you return it and you will get a new one. There customer service is usually that good

Ron B.
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey leadman!
All five stations, on the lower level should rotate. Remedy is one telephone call away!
Just be forthwit, regarding the unit's age. I'd almost guarantee RCBS will replace the unit pronto with a brand spanking new one! They'll even send you all the accessories!

You win!
GRB

BLFD1
04-17-2009, 09:05 PM
This is what got me interested! Anyone set theirs up this way??.

I have mine set up that way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlLp1s0dJRA

markinalpine
04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
...and made a cup using a 1/2" PVC pipe cap. Drilled a hole through the end, inserted a 8/32" screw with a star lock washer through the hole, and filled the cavity with course steel wool. After I've trimmed and chamfered the cases, I lightly polish the rim with the steel wool, which helps prevent scraping lead when seating boolits. This way I don't have to bell the case mouth as much, reducing work-hardening of the brass.
Mark :coffee:

markinalpine
04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's the URL for Varmint Al's reference to case mouth polishing: http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Polishing_Brass

And here are two pictures of my version installed on my prep center:

Mark :Fire: