PDA

View Full Version : "Quicky" ingot moulds

dubber123
04-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Here are a few ingot moulds a friend whipped up ;
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_3121.jpg I am so annoyed he can do this stuff!:roll:

Green Frog
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
They're gorgeous! Don't be annoyed, be happy he is your friend and both willing and able to make them for you. BTW, in case you didn't know it, the cost of that aluminum, plus machine time, would FAAARR exceed the price of buying them as factory cast iron or aluminum units. That was a very classy thing for your friend to do for you. Congratulations, and enjoy using them.

Froggie

mikenbarb
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Nice molds and you should see if he wants to make them to sell here. Im sure he would do well with sales.
PS- Ask him if he wants another friend who needs real nice aluminum ingot molds.LOL.

captaint
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Yo dubber, those are some mighty fine looking molds. I'm afraid mine look like the Lyman unit sitting next to the beauties. Enjoy Mike

deltaenterprizes
04-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Nice molds and you should see if he wants to make them to sell here. Im sure he would do well with sales.
PS- Ask him if he wants another friend who needs real nice aluminum ingot molds.LOL.

Trying to sell them would be a losing proposition, the material is at least $5/ft and machine time is at least $40/hr plus the cost of a tapered endmill to get relief,how much are you willing to pay for one?
Now it they were cast from scrap materials could be cut in cost by 80% but labor would still be prohibitive.

GSM
04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
It's good to have friends.

Very envious.

carpetman
04-09-2009, 02:07 AM
dubber123---You are going to feel like an illegitimate child at a family reunion. About half the discussions here it seems is what to use for an ingot mold (usually muffin tins) and how you went about getting them. Whether teflon or not. Whether rusted or not. Whether you found them at garage sale,Christians in Action, Salvation Army or was stupid enough to steal them from your wife. Now you are set for life and wont be able to join the discussions--you'll be a complete outsider. I'll not even offer to take them off your hands---I don't want to be an outcast.

dubber123
04-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Oh, don't worry about me getting all high and mighty with these spiffy billet ingot moulds, I didn't say he made them for me, he just let me use them, which is worse, because they work even better than they look!

Tom W.
04-09-2009, 06:36 AM
And just when are you going to loan them out?????

Randall
04-10-2009, 12:37 PM
So, where do I sign up to borrow them?:mrgreen:

waco
04-11-2009, 01:11 AM
i work in a fab shop with a full machine shop...
you would be amazed at all the cool stuff you can make that is gun/casting
related when you have al kinds of quarter million dollar machines at your disposal, and
good friends that know how to run them!
ingot molds, top punches, form, and trim dies...ect....ect
love my job and all the cool stuff we have there!
waco:drinks: