PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 molds at one time.

supv26
04-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Yesterday I tried running 2 molds at the same time. I was able to keep the molds at a good temp and things went really smooth. I was casting .430's and .452's and water dropping them.

I ordered a 6 cavity mold and now I am waiting on a set of handles for it. I am wondering if I can run it also with the other molds to increase production. I can see I am going to need to find more lead!!!!!
:Fire:

Shiloh
04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Just develop a cadence. Works very well. If water dropping keep two pails.

Shiloh

Bret4207
04-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I have a had a hard time keeping the aluminum moulds hot enough when using 6 bangers in rotation. I went back to 1 mould and the BruceB Speed Casting Method.

supv26
04-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Just develop a cadence. Works very well. If water dropping keep two pails.

Shiloh

Yea I need to get another pail. I was dropping them in the same bucket and then had to sort them after I lubed them. Easy to tell the difference though, the 45's are round nose the 44's are swc. But, I sure wouldn't want to make the mistake and try to push a .452 through a .430 sizer!
:Fire:

Shepherd2
04-08-2009, 07:40 AM
I've tried to run two 6 cavity aluminum moulds but was never able to keep them hot enough to get good results. I've used two 4 cavity iron moulds with good results many times. When they get hot, they stay hot. When you've filled one mould and set it down the sprue on the other is just about ready to cut. Keeps you busy but once you fall into the groove the boolits pile up and the pot goes empty.

Tom W.
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
And it empties pretty darn quick... I was using three molds last weekend... a 2 cavity 30 cal RD mold, a Lee 2 cavity 300 gr. and a Lee 2 cavity 230 gr....Lotsa lead piles.....

JeffinNZ
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I seldom cast with only one mould. I dislike casting so when I do it, I do it proper like. I run my Lyman 20lb pot as the main and my Lee 10lb pot for sprues and as the top up pot. This way I am always adding hot alloy.

jdgabbard
04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
I run two 2 banger molds all the time. If I were using a 6 banger, I would probably just stick with one.

SciFiJim
04-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Jeff, I've seen the reference to two pots at once before. Do you have the smaller pot set up to pour directly into the larger one. If so, can you post pics of the rack that you built for it?

donald duck
04-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I have had great success using a 6mm and a 7mm together, that is filling one, letting it cool while I fill the other, let it cool and knock out first. Works great, use same 5 gallon bucket of water about half or a third full. I spray my molds with Pam or Mazzola cooking spray. Works for me!!

Tom Herman
04-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Yesterday I tried running 2 molds at the same time. I was able to keep the molds at a good temp and things went really smooth. I was casting .430's and .452's and water dropping them.

All good advice so far... I pre-warm the molds on a metal plate on the stove, then drag them outside and start casting. That gets them up to temperature, and I can usually start casting good bullets in a couple of pours instead of drawing the pot down the better part of an inch before everything starts working well.
Once you start casting good, just develop a cadence, and you're good to go.
It matters not to me that different bullets get dumped and have to be sorted. I have to inspect them later on anyways!

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

JeffinNZ
04-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Jeff, I've seen the reference to two pots at once before. Do you have the smaller pot set up to pour directly into the larger one. If so, can you post pics of the rack that you built for it?

No, they just sit side by side and I tip the 10lber into the 20lber all careful like.