PDA

View Full Version : mag. primers in the .38spl?

waco
04-07-2009, 09:37 PM
when loaded with 231, is it ok to use mag primers?
is it a GOOD idea because its a ball powder?
thanks guys
waco:drinks:

felix
04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
OK, but not desirable with 231. ... felix

HeavyMetal
04-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Once upon a time I stumbled onto the best 45 auto target powder, Winchesters 452AA.

I won't bore you with details about accuracy as this is not your question, I loaded and shot a ton of 45 cast with this powder.

Then one day I found myself with a short barreled shotgun! I wasn't getting groups I was getting patterns!

I went nuts trying to figure out what had gone worng with my pet load!

After a couple weeks it dawned on me that I had purchased a supply of Federal large pistol magnum primers, because my dealer had been out of standard, and had loaded them in my pet load!

The hotter flame really messed that load up! I switched back to regular primers and got may pet load back and shooting just as it always had!

So my thoughts are don't swap primers without doing some load testing particularly when using small doses of ball powders!

As always each gun is a rule unto itself, but my experience taught me to make small batches and test before making a full scale swap of a load component!

waco
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
thanks guys
the only reason i ask is because i have a lot more spmp, than just spp
you know how it is trying to buy anything right now!
waco

smokemjoe
04-08-2009, 09:05 PM
I see after reading this I have 3.000 Rem. Large rifle Mag primers. What will it do to my cast bullet loads. Thanks- Joe