PDA

View Full Version : Miller or Gilbert caster from the 1930's. Anyone heard of one?

mikenbarb
04-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I got a small old electric bottom pour and it looks to be an old Miller or Gilbert caster and believe its from the 1930's or 1940's sometime but not positive. Has anyone heard of these bottom pours? It looks like the old ones they used to pour lead toy soldiers. I will post a pic in a bit and any input would be great. Thanks, Mike
PS- And it still works perfect!

mikenbarb
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/003-40.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-42.jpg

454PB
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Neat!

Kinda looks like a heavy duty version of the Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot.

mikenbarb
04-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Yep, I just read that this is from the mid 1930's sometime and mady by Walter Miller of Allentown Pa. or it could be a Gilbert caster for making lead toys. It holds 1-1/2 pounds of lead when filled to the top.
Imagine lead toys being made now, The Chinese would love chewing on them.LOL.

Bret4207
04-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Neat!

Kinda looks like a heavy duty version of the Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot.

Naw, if it looked like a Lee there'd be 9.5 lbs of hot lead on the base!!!

mikenbarb
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
+1 Bret.LOL. This one dont leak a drop of lead and its made like a tank. I just wish it had a larger capacity but its good for around 50 .30cal bullets. The recovery time is FAST and it will melt a new pot full of lead in about 2 minutes.

Bret4207
04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm rather thrilled with the SAECO I've finally got working. I even made a custom tool to clean the nozzle. It strongly resembles a hunka bent wire, but the custom aspect is discernible to the trained eye. :bigsmyl2:I just need to find some of the insulation they used to protect the wiring connectors. It gets REALLY hot behind that cover!!!

Green Frog
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
That unit looks like most of one that I got in a set with mould guides and moulds to cast lead toy soldiers, etc. IIRC, mine was by Gilbert, the folks who later made chemistry sets, slot car sets and other kinds of neat stuff for boys up through at least the early to mid-'60s. I've often thought of casting a bunch of soldiers to use up my odd lots of poor quality lead alloys.

froggie

Green Frog
04-08-2009, 01:40 PM
That unit looks like most of one that I got in a set with mould guides and moulds to cast lead toy soldiers, etc. IIRC, mine was by Gilbert, the folks who later made chemistry sets, slot car sets and other kinds of neat stuff for boys up through at least the early to mid-'60s. I've often thought of casting a bunch of soldiers to use up my odd lots of poor quality lead alloys.

froggie

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Phil Sharps book has a article on the Miller.it is a modified gilbert.I have one and the toy soldier molds.this one I used as a boy to cast soldiers and painted them.I modifiyed one like Miller to cast bullets,still have it.Gilbert was a great company back before WW2.had chemical set from them.I also have a Potter pot.to bad redding did not take the saeco pot when they got the molds.:coffee:[smilie=1: