PDA

View Full Version : "Ron's Ingenious Bullet Pulling Doo-Hicky!"

Ron B.
04-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Almost three years ago, my wife and I moved to Trinidad, CO; vacating the excessive heat and humidity of East Texas. Getting settled in to a new home-location, I kind of gave up my "Gun Stuff" hobby, as my wife lovingly calls it. About 6 months gone to the rears, I jumped back in full blazes. I soon discovered altitude effects more than just breathing. All my reloads, and factory ammo shot hot! Much hotter than I like; and feel safe with. So, it meant either chunking a lot of reloads or pulling; reloading anew! I don't chunk. :Fire:

Long story short, I soon tired of fighting battle with my centrifugal-hammer style pullers. These things are great for one or two rounds; but definitely not hundreds.I knew there had to be a better way. Here is what I came up with. My wife, prone to nick-naming refers to it as "Ron's Ingenious Bullet Pulling Doo-Hicky Doo-Dad!" See photos; they explain things better than I can. Then, rush out to your shop and cut the nozzle end off a caulk tube and :kidding::kidding::kidding:

Junior1942
04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Dang. Another guy who doesn't know how to operate a digital camera. Giant photos are not for the web, please.

Ron B.
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
What side of the pallet did you get up on this morning? :)

GRB

cheese1566
04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
No kidding! Dial up is out...so is windows 98....:coffeecom

Junior1942
04-07-2009, 10:24 AM
No kidding! Dial up is out...so is windows 98....:coffeecom
Many rural areas in the US have dial-up only. And many people can't afford DSL. But file size isn't the only issue. Physical size is the other issue. I have a 20" monitor (and Windows Vista), and even if I go full screen the above 1023 pixels wide photos go off the right hand side of the page. SO DOES THE TEXT.

Here's my point: learn your camera or lose your readers with small to medium sized screens and with slow to medium fast Internet connections. It's simple courtesy.

deltaenterprizes
04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Looks like you got the collet backwards.A press mounted collet type puller is faster. I think Forester had one with fingers that was even faster.

StrawHat
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
There are programs available to resize photos when you load them on your computer.

A search will turn them up and many are free for the asking.

Ron B.
04-07-2009, 12:30 PM
How's that?

GRB

Junior1942
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks!!!!

carpetman
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
If I understand what you did you are still using inertia---pounding the hammer gizzy. For cast bullets remove the die from your press and run bullet up through the hole and clamp on with pliers and then lower the ram. Remelt the bullet and press on. For jacketed bullets get the collet type puller.

Ron B.
04-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Man, I just don't think anyone's getting this. :)

The caulk tip simply guides the collet over the loaded round. The bullet end of the round is pushed into the end of the caulk tip. Anyway, it works for me. Indeed a press mounted collet would be faster. And yes, pliars work if you don't mind destroying your bullet.

Any yes, my collet's on backwards. So is my head.

GRB

deltaenterprizes
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
I knew a guy that was using the collet to hold the bullet and was actually able to pull a couple of bullets but he said it sure was a lot of trouble, then I showed him how to do it the right way.
When I got my first progressive press, a Hornady Pro-7 ,the only shell plate available was for 45ACP. I loaded 800 rounds with too light a powder charge and 200gr SWCs. I was afraid a lighter recoil spring would cause damage to the gun so I pulled 800 rounds with an inertia type puller. I broke 2 of them.
Good idea, it would have helped with that project!

45&30-30
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
GRB, Thank you for sharing your idea, it's fun to 'MacGyver'. :drinks: If you get to pulling a bunch of bullets and the rubber on the collet breaks, both of mine did, you can use the shell holder from your press in its place. I have found it to be quick, but the end cap wants to back off, so a little attention needs to be paid on stubborn bullets.

oldhickory
04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I have an RCBS collet puller, but somehow prefer the inertia myself. I discarded the three piece dilly-o with the key ring spring that holds the rim years ago and now use standard shell holders, seems to work a lot better for me.

MtJerry
04-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I have an RCBS collet puller, but somehow prefer the inertia myself. I discarded the three piece dilly-o with the key ring spring that holds the rim years ago and now use standard shell holders, seems to work a lot better for me.

Please take the time to read the following thread I posted a few years ago on another forum that I moderate. I had a round go off using an inertial puller using a STANDARD SHELL HOLDER and came to the conclusion that the discharge was caused by the shell-holder.

I would recommend that you not use the shell holder, but use the collet supplied. What you are doing is dangerous in my opinion.

Please read the entire thread as it took some time to figure this out. There are numerous pictures.

http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48609&highlight=reloading+accident

Ron B.
04-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Hello MtJerry!
I bet you moved back a foot or two; when that thing went bang! :)

Nothing should make contact with the primer; nothing. I want to stress what I have here is only an aid to get the collet "OVER" the bullet. The nozzle from the caulk cartridge is then removed "BEFORE" the loaded bullet goes into the centrifugal puller. Why are things, so simple sometimes made to appear complicated? :)

Play safe,
GRB

fourarmed
04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
Great idea, GRB. I have always hated inertia pulling SWC bullets from straight-wall cases.

danski26
04-07-2009, 06:21 PM
2nd the good idea.....i had to pull one round the other day and didn't it take me four or five tries to get that collet on the case. Normaly it works fine but that darn cartridge was a fighter!

How can a catridge go off when using a shell holder???????????? I guess i must read and be informed......

ASM826
04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
This is a good, inexpensive idea, and I will be trying it the next time I have to pull bullets.

Now, off topic:

No problem here with the size of the image, but if you do want to some resizing, cropping, and basic editing tasks, Irfanview is a great little editor. Available at
http://www.irfanview.com/

On the screen size of displayed images, if Junior1942 or anyone else wants images to always fit their screen, here's the how-to from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/customizing/autoresize.mspx

Ron B.
04-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey ASM826; thanks!
About Junior; I think he just wanted something to beach about.
To his credit, and StrawHat's I did resize them. :)

GRB

Old Ironsights
04-09-2009, 02:18 PM
GRB, Thank you for sharing your idea, it's fun to 'MacGyver'. :drinks: ....

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/070_pics577.jpg

EOD3
04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Some of you might appreciate a little light reading; http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37727 :coffee: