PDA

View Full Version : ALOX warning true or false

jballs918
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
hey folks i was looking at ebone this morning and i ran across this:

NOTICE: Arachidonate Lipoxygenase (ALOX) and Cyclooxygenase (COX) Polymorphisms is a Colon Cancer Risk. There is NO Alox in this lube.

ok is this a lie or what, one must wonder where this comes up. can anyone shed a bit of light on this. ok i read the baattle,but colon cancer. im wondering where they got their info

StarMetal
02-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Alox is a petroleum product. Any petroleum product just about is a carcinogen. You can read that on the side of a can of motor oil.

Joe

jballs918
02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
ok i got you, now just worried about where they got colon cancer. one must figure that most of the stuff that we use it large or extended large quanities would do this. i wondering how much of the stuff they had to use on rats to get this effect.

trooperdan
02-15-2006, 01:15 PM
The quote you posted has NOTHING to do with "our" ALOX. The stuff we use in lubes is a calcium soap.

Junior1942
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I really like Lee Liquid Alox, but I'm not likely to use it as a seasoning on a grilled pork chop.

Denver
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
I've oftened wondered just what is Alox anyway? What was/is it's original purpose or use before it was "discovered" for use in bullet lube?

trooperdan
02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Denver, it was intended as a rust preventative on metal. Think of it as Waxoyl or spray on vehicle undercoating.

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I've been using Alox lubes, mostly Javelina brand, and some
Tamarack brand for 29 years and it hasn't gotten me yet. Of course I only use it as a boolit lube, not for internal consumption. The only loading-related product I consume internally is Hercules (now Alliant) 2400 powder. I really like 2400 and sprinkle a little on my morning oatmeal.

stocker
02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
NVCurmudgeon : Don't sprinkle it on your beans though except before contests involving matches and a very large dark room.

13Echo
02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
"NOTICE: Arachidonate Lipoxygenase (ALOX) and Cyclooxygenase (COX) Polymorphisms is a Colon Cancer Risk. There is NO Alox in this lube."

OK, what the post refers to are genetic variations in enzymes that occur naturally in the body, to wit: Arachidonate lipoxyegenase and Cyclooxygenase. If these are abnormal then there is an increased risk of developing carcinoma. Alox as used in bullet lubes is, I believe, an aluminum containing soap or grease and has no relationship to human genetics. But I'm certain the ebay seller of lube is absolutely correct, there are no abnormal human enzymes in his lube.

Jerry Liles

robertbank
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey look at it this way. Do you really want to be the only person in the hospital dieing of nothing when you are old and on the way out?

Stay Safe

buck1
02-15-2006, 10:50 PM
They must live in Kaliforn I A . Every things bad for you over there. Most likely just trying to scare up some sales. A bunch of BS if you ask me. ...Buck

Bass Ackward
02-15-2006, 10:50 PM
ok i read the battle,but colon cancer. im wondering where they got their info

jballs,

I have used Alox off and on for quite awhile. Alox tends to .... develop strong emotions on either side of the issue. While I have heard of some people telling others to take their Alox and shove it, I seriously doubt they took them literally.

I know the stuff manages to get all over everything. If you are afraid of Alox giving you colon cancer, please try and keep it out of there. :grin:

wills
02-15-2006, 10:51 PM
This certainly explains it!

http://carcin.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/25/12/2467

carpetman
02-15-2006, 10:58 PM
If someone tells you to take Alox and shove it---remember if you do you might get colon cancer.

versifier
02-15-2006, 11:56 PM
.... now just worried about where they got colon cancer....
I believe it generally occurs somewhere between the appendix and the rectum. I would advise against Alox insertion on general principle :shock: , but I'm not into kinky, just casting boolits and having normal relations with women. These activities stay separate in my life and I'm happy that way. :lol:

45nut
02-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Speaking of keeping things in the proper perspective......

"Brokeback, Wyoming

A rugged cowboy from Brokeback Mountain, Wyoming, goes into the doctor's office and has some tests run. The doctor comes back and says, "I am not going to beat around the bush, you have AIDS."

The cowboy tugs at his Stetson and sets his jaw and says, "Doc, what can I do?"

The doctor says, "I want you to go home and eat 5 pounds of spicy sausage, a head of cabbage, 20 un-peeled carrots drenched in hot sauce,10 Jalapeno peppers, 40 walnuts and 40 peanuts, 1/2 box of Grapenuts cereal, and top it off with a gallon of prune juice."

The cowboy squares his rugged shoulders and asks, "Will that cure me, Doc?"

"No, but it should leave you with a better understanding of what your butt is for."

sundog
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
45nut, Hooah. sundog

fatnhappy
02-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Alox is also used to polish contact lenses.
If you're that concerned, why don't you google the manufacturer and request a copy of the MSDS. That way you don't need to rely on internet gossip for your colo-rectal health.

9.3X62AL
02-16-2006, 01:02 AM
Hey, Wills--that clarified everything, all right.

sundog
02-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Uh..., Al, since you apparently understood that so well, maybe you can explain it to the rest of us -- well me, anyway. sundog

StarMetal
02-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Well if it isn't alox giving a scare there's a new one on the news tonight. They discovered a chemical, PFOA, used in processing Teflon, causes cancers. Guess what, we eat food cooked in teflon pots and pans, and if I'm not mistaken don't some artificial joints for use in the body have teflon sleeves for like a bearing surface?

Joe

Lee
02-16-2006, 02:00 AM
PFOA can be a cancer causer, but from what I've heard, there's none left when it gets turned into Teflon. The companies using PFOA shouldn't have spilled it all over the place.
(This of course assumes thet there "REALLY ISN'T" any PFOA left in the Teflon after it becomes Teflon. I have to wonder, because the same chemical companies who used the PFOA, and slopped it around all over the place, are the same ones telling us there is no PFOA left around after the Teflon is applied.................yeah right???..........................Lee

Frank46
02-16-2006, 02:04 AM
zbart is another trade name for the waxy undercoating applied to the underside of vehicles.
Come to think of it , it does smell like bullet lube. Frank

Frank46
02-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeaaaaaaaaa, blue flamers

waksupi
02-16-2006, 09:44 AM
The teflon info has been out for years. It must just be a slow news week. I use cast iron and Pyrex for cooking. No teflon, and definitely no aluminum. Now, THERE is a hazard for you. Prime suspect in Alziemers disease. And what are most deodorants carrying? Aluminum. Yah, rub that on your tissue. Some don't have it, look at your ingrediants.

versifier
02-16-2006, 01:44 PM
PFOA, when present (rarely, and only in trace amounts) is only released into the air when the teflon is heated above 650*F and held there for at least 20 minutes, WAY WAY above the temp even for high temp frying. It is extremely toxic to the avian metabolism (birds) even in micro doses, so if your pet birds drop dead while you're cooking, open the windows. (You'll have to anyway if you kept anything cooking that hot for that long as it sure won't be edible.)

redneckdan
02-16-2006, 03:22 PM
NVCurmudgeon : Don't sprinkle it on your beans though except before contests involving matches and a very large dark room.

by the way...the match trick does work, leave it to college ME students to try it...

Pystis
02-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Did I undwerstood right? Does that ALOX only stand for trade mark? ALOX seems to stand for aluminum oxide and that arachidonate lipoxynase also.
What makes the difference between other rust prevetatives and ALOX. Is that calcium soap or what?
Buckshot sent me some boolits and their smell reminds me smell of old typewriter I disassembled as a kid. I assume they were TL´d with ALOX.
(I used to break many many things to fix them as a kid. That´s why I study to be engineer some day [smilie=l: )
I Googled the "calcium soap" to find out that it is used in many greases with lithium.

fiberoptik
02-24-2006, 03:32 AM
PFOA, when present (rarely, and only in trace amounts) is only released into the air when the teflon is heated above 650*F and held there for at least 20 minutes, WAY WAY above the temp even for high temp frying. It is extremely toxic to the avian metabolism (birds) even in micro doses, so if your pet birds drop dead while you're cooking, open the windows. (You'll have to anyway if you kept anything cooking that hot for that long as it sure won't be edible.)

I lost my sense of smell in Okinawa in a karate tournament. My wife's Mexican. Real Mexican, from Mexico. She was toasting some jalapeno's to remove the skins in a frying pan one day. She went off to the bathroom or something. Since the pan wasn't hot yet, she fingers no prob. She forgot the pan. I didn't even know about the pan. A little while later, I have really bad flashbacks to the Corps gas chambers w/o mask filters. I see some smoke, can't breathe anymore. Let's just say that capsasin really DOES WORK!!! [smilie=l:
P.S. Still didn't smell it. I could shonuff taste it tho. :???:

Bret4207
02-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Ahhh, another Okinawa Marine! Gate 2 and B.C. Street!! In Okie you either scuba dived (my choice), learned karate, or became a drunk. Great memories.

Cayoot
02-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I lost my sense of smell in Okinawa in a karate tournament.

When and where did you study karate in Okinawa? I was on the Island from 1981 to 1985 (U.S. Air Force-Kadena AB) and studied under Shoshin Nagamena in his Naha dojo. I was the only guy who spoke english, so my learning was slow-going and painful at first! It was quite an experience though!

My wife and I enjoyed Okinawa so much that we extended our 3 year tour to a 4th year.

Sure would like to go back some day for a visit.

9.3X62AL
02-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Sundog, I won't even PRETEND to understand what Wills posted--the remark was made with tongue firmly installed in cheek.

Fiberoptik........I endure similar exposures every time Marie makes chile rellenos "from scratch". The Anaheim chiles aren't nearly as incandescent as the jalepenos, but it is still an eye-burning and sinus-draining experience if things get too hot in the pan.

Bret4207
02-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey, I was over at MCAS Futema in '81-'82! I'd also love to go back, but i understand quite a bit has changed. For one thing I don't think I'd get 215 Yen to the dollar anymore. Sure do miss the ocean and the beer. OB I think it was. And the food, the views, the breeze, the people. Jeeze. I shoulda been a lifer.