PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new Sharps purchase

Johnny bravo
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi all :D
I am thinking about buying my second Pedersoli Sharps. Before any of you ask, No, I don’t have the ways and means of buying a Shiloh in the UK:mrgreen:.

I am torn between these two:
Sharps Boss(S.770) 45-90- 34in bbl, shotgun type butt, 13.5lbs

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?item=ArmiCategoriaDettaglio&CategoriaId=260&lang=en

Sharps Buffalo(S.774) 45-90-30in bbl, shotgun butt, pistol grip,12.8lbs

No one I know here have either of these rifles, so no way I can test one out. However, from shooting my own 45-70 ‘Silhouette’ model, I know that the shotgun type butt and pistol grip is very comfortable to shoot with. I am not averse to straight grips however and TBH, I like long barrels:oops:

As I only shoot long range paper targets, I favour the ‘Boss’ because it has a longer sight radius and is slightly heavier;an advantage with the heavier long range loads, I think. But, I am worried that the 34in tube might cause fouling issues?

Your kind advice would be gratefully received before I fork out my hard earned cash.

Regards.

Jon K
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Since you already have a Silhouette model, I agree with your reasoning of heavier and longer.......Get the 34 inch. It will tame down the recoil and make it more pleasant to shoot all day. I did the same and put a Mercury Recoil Reducer in the buttstock.

Jon

montana_charlie
04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I recently assisted my neighbor in buying a Pedersoli Boss from one of the members here.
I have a Pedersoli Billy Dixon that pleases me, but when I saw that Boss gun...it wanted it for myself.

In your position, it is the one I would choose ...
CM

martinibelgian
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Fouling problems in the UK? with all that rain and humidity, you have to be kidding...

Johnny bravo
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Thank you all kindly :) Am glad you all like the Boss as well; it sure is a handsome beast, is it not!?

Fouling problems in the UK? with all that rain and humidity, you have to be kidding...

Atlast, something positive about the UK weather that's condusive to shooting:mrgreen: MB, your statement has just sealed the decision for me. Cheers.

I think its time I made that call to Henry Kranks. The only down side is that I have to wait 3-4 months for the rifle to arrive from Italy as it would be a special order.

ATB.

montana_charlie
04-07-2009, 04:24 PM
While you are waiting, you might want to order Paul Jones' 45021 mould for that (or any) Pedersoli .45
http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliberpage2.htm .

The official name of the design is the "Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk" bullet, and the late Dr. Gunn designed the PGT expressly for the rather unique chamber throat Pedersoli uses.

The design is not copywritten or patented, so any maker can cut it. But Jones is the only one currently offering it.

CM

Jon K
04-08-2009, 01:10 AM
If you're going to get a Paul Jones mould..........wait til you have gun in hand and slug the barrel before ordering.

Jon

Johnny bravo
04-08-2009, 05:28 AM
MC, I have checked out the PJ moulds earlier and have plans to get one done by either him or Steve Brookes some where along the line. However, as Jon K said, I think I’ll wait for the rifle to arrive and slug the bore first. My Silhouette has .459 bore and I am curious to see what the Boss would have.

In the meantime, I am experimenting with breech seating some reduced diameter bullets with some heavy charges in my 45-70 cases this weekend. Will update on how it goes.

Thanks again.

ATB.

NickSS
04-08-2009, 05:42 AM
I have a Shiloh Sharps Long Range express that started life as a 45-70 but I found that for long range I wanted more velocity. So I had it run out to 45-90. It shoots very accurately with its 34 inch barrel. I use it exclusively for long range target matches at 800,900 and 1000 yards. If you want the Pedersolli for long range shooting the 34 inch barrel has the advantages. There is nothing wrong with Pedersolli's either. I have a couple and other friends of mine have various models as well. They shoot right up there with C. Sharps and Shiloh Sharps rifles. I have seen an awful large number of matches won with them.

HEAD0001
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
I had one of the Boss models, and it was a great rifle. It shot very well, and was a good looking rifle. However the reason I sold it was the fact that it was just too long and heavy to be a practical hunting rifle. And I am a hunter, not a target shoter. If you only target shoot then it is a great rifle, however if you want to use it in the field then it is a bit much. Tom.

montana_charlie
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I think I’ll wait for the rifle to arrive and slug the bore first. My Silhouette has .459 bore and I am curious to see what the Boss would have.
That is always a wise decision. But don't just slug the bore.
Slug or cast the chamber so you can see what the 'throat' looks like. You'll probably find that the freebore will take a .460" bullet, and that is what matters.

When my neighbor's Boss gun arrived (the very rifle that HEAD0001 sold) he wanted to shoot it 'right now'!
I had already made up some loads for him so he could do that.

I have a laid back stock of match-quality PGT bullets, so I loaded some in fifteen weight-matched cases that will be used until his 'final load' has been determined.
(I am still doing his loading because he is still collecting reloading tools...and, we have not slugged his bore or cast his chamber, yet.)

The first fifteen-round session was for 'familiarity', sight adjustments, and fireforming the cases. The second batch (a week later) was used to get a measurable group. It was a nice, round, 2" group at 100 yards...just using the 'initial trial load'.

I sent him home with another fifteen-round batch a couple of days ago...still using the initial load...and we'll see if it is consistent enough to continue using.

The point of all this is...
If Jones cuts his 45021 to the original design specs, the bullet will most probably fit any (unmodified) Pedersoli Sharps.
However, there is nothing wrong with having all of your actual dimensions written down before ordering...in case he should need to 'adjust' something.

CM

EDIT...A quick word about Steve Brooks moulds.
Steve cuts a beautiful mould. The finish is excellent, and it casts easy right from the start. But, it is (probably) best to order a design that is one of his standard offerings...and have him 'custom make it' for your rifle's dimensions.

If you want a design that is not one of his regulars, you should specify absolutely every dimension to be found in the finished bullet. Leaving any detail to chance...just because you think his experience will have it covered...could end with you getting a mould that does not resemble what you thought you ordered.
Don't ask me how I know...or how much it cost me to learn it.

C.

Johnny bravo
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Cheers for all the good words. I placed the order this afternoon for the Boss.:drinks:

MC, thanks for the tip on the SB. Will remember what you said when the time comes to order. However, that’s not going to happen for awhile now as I need all the funds to pay for the new rifle. I’ll just keep shooting the Lyman Postel till then.

Regards.