PDA

View Full Version : Rooster Jacket flaking

toddrod
04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I seem to be having this problem with Rooster Jacket. After 3-4 days I notice that it starts flaking. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking it is because I might be using to much ( this is from reading other thread about this lube).

Also, can this lube be cut with water to make it thinner?

xsquidgator
04-07-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't have a problem with flaking, but I have found crumbles of it in the little containers I use to store my sized/lubed bullets. I also find that when handling loaded ammo made with RJL boolits, my index finger that I use to push rounds into the magazine ends up with a grimy coating of Rooster Jacket. Just as dirty on my hands as Lee Liquid Alox, but at least it's not nasty sticky like the LLA.

If it matters, I don't follow the Rooster Jacket instructions exactly. I tried once that thing it says on the label to put the bullets in a funnel and pour the RJ over them. That seemed to use up more RJ than I wanted and was a PITA, so I went to just tumble lubing bullets with RJ the same way I do when using Lee Liquid Alox. That is, just put the bullets and some lube in a cool-whip plastic bowl and swirl them around, then let dry. Seems to work ok for me.

toddrod
04-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I think crumbles is probably a better description of it.

snuffy
04-25-2009, 12:37 PM
This thread came up on a search. I just got some rooster jacket boolit lube. I also just got the Lee 462405 group buy mold, I cast some, wanted to try the RJ.

I elected to dip them, then lay them on wax paper. Problem is, I can't tell if any adhered to the boolit!:( Darn stuff is darn near invisible! It came as a tan colored thin liquid. Why couldn't they have put some dark colored dye it it?

These boolits will be fired in a H&R buffalo classic at very mild trapdoor velocities. But I don't feel good about loading what appears to be a bare boolit.Maybe I will try a second coat.!?:confused:

Marine Sgt 2111
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I used rooster lube mixed 4 to 1 with water applied with a spray bottle before I ran my bullets through an auto sizer, then spray them with the same mixture (after sizing to seal the surface of the bullet) and run them through a dryer that I had built.

As a side note: I opened a box of 185grain swc's for .45 acp that I made 20 years ago, that has been sitting out in the grainery for 9 years. Even though the box was water stained and the tape was falling off the bullets inside looked like I just made them yesterday. When I get back into production again, I will use the same materials and of course rooster lube.

I have also used Rooster Jacket in the water solution when I quench freshly cast boolits.:Fire:

imashooter2
04-25-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't know if you'd call it flaking, but mine get "powdery" after a month or two. I determined that it doesn't hurt performance and I stopped caring.

runfiverun
04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
put some blue or red food coloring in it. stuff costs what 3.00?

snuffy
04-25-2009, 07:29 PM
put some blue or red food coloring in it. stuff costs what 3.00?

I was wondering if a coloring agent could be added. I looked for some food coloring in my spice cabinet, no such luck. Since it's water based, liquid food coloring should work.