PDA

View Full Version : wifes asian water buffalo

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2009, 06:12 AM
hardest dying animal ive ever seen. She shot it through both front sholders with a 50 beowulf shooting a 420 grain punch bullet. When she shot it it dropped but she hit herself in the eye with the scope and was bleading baddly and it got back up. I took the gun from her and shot it dead on in the chest. It went down again and got back up and started running. I put a cast bullet (we only had two punch bullets) in the neck and it went down on its knees and got back up again. I put two more in the lungs and it went down but was still breathing after a couple minutes so to put it out of its missery i put a 44 325 cast slug in its brain. Didnt even phaze it. I put another in it same results. Al put a 4440 in its brain and it was still breathing. the third 44 325 finally made it quit breathing. We recovered 4 bullets. the first punch whistled right through the front shoulders. the one i recovered went in the chest head on and was found under the skin on hind quarter. It penetatrated the lenght of the buffalo broke the back leg and came to rest under the skin. Other then rifling marks it could have been reloaded. Velocity on all of these loads was about 1600 fps. One case recovered was one of the 44s shot into the brain. It was cast out of #2 and sheared right in half on some bone. It was not fractured but looked like half the bullet was wiped away, Not the nose but lengthwise. The two bullets shot through the lungs were 420 lfngc cast out of straight linotype. They both were found lodged under the skin on the far side. Both had there noses rivited (slightly mushroomed) they looked like someone hit them in the nose with a hammer. I would have never thought that a linotype bullet would have showed results like that on a perfect broadside lung shot. But i guess a 1500 lb animal is different then a 500 lb animal. Could be a rib cause the damage but to have both look about identical id thinking it was just hide which by the way was about twice as thick as any aniamal ive ever seen. this sure wasnt bison hide! What did i learn. There a tough dammed aniamal. Punch bullets like weve know blow away cast for penetration. especially if you want to run velocity over 1300 fps. Maybe the beowulf could stand a heavier bullet. Something with a little more sectional density. One kill doesnt show much but if i used that same bullet i think it try it at about 1400 fps instead of 1600. I also saw again something ive seen many times. Linotype bullets do not fracture! At least not a normal cast velocity. I wouldnt think of shooting another animal this size with anything softer then linotype and would like to experiement with something even harder. Maybe monotype. I also learned not to retract the stock on the beowulf so its more comfortable for the wife to use the scope. She has a real nice cresent around her eye and i couldnt get her within a mile of that gun again!

BABore
04-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Good story. Did you get that down by the tater farm? Please let me know how it eats. There's a ranch by me that I can get one for about $700 or so. I'm tempted to fill the freezer's up, but would hate to have 1,200 lbs of boneless boot straps.

Here's a forum link to another water buff kill. It was taken by a friend of mine from TN.

http://levergunlovers.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8605

JDL
04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Wow!! Good report.
JDL

475/480
04-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Very nice Lloyd and good shootin to you and your wife.

Sean

dk17hmr
04-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Asian water buffalo=bullet sponge.....got it

Great report.
Doesnt look like there is much water around there.

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
not the potatoe farmer. the other guy in the same area. I ate some of the tenderloin this morning and it was real good but then what tenderloin isnt. Actually lots of water around there right behind the cameraman is a swamp.

Tokarev
04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Is meat bright red, kind of brick colour instead of dark red that beef is?
I recall eating buffalo meat and was surprised with its colour. It was tender, but tasted oddly.

jar-wv
04-07-2009, 07:16 PM
That's one big animal. Haven't seen any of them around here.

Lloyd Smale
04-07-2009, 08:18 PM
meat looks more like beef then bison. the fat is white like beef too rather then yellow like a bison has.