PDA

View Full Version : New to casting equipment question?

tomcat
04-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I am new to casting. I bought a setup from a guy.
Lee bottom pour pot
Lyman two cavity mold and handles
RCBS lube a matic 2

I melted down some cast bullets that I had(just to play with the pot and mold). The new ones turned out nice. The question is about the lube a matic, is there a better lube-sizer? I hate the handle with the balls to feed the lube. It always seems in the wrong position to raise the handle. Has anyone done any modifications to make this work better? How does the Lyman lube-sizer feed the lube, similar setup?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

anachronism
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
The RCBS is generally considered to be the more desirable of the two. The Lyman uses a Chapman ratchet on a hex-headed shaft to pressurize the lube. There are better sizers, such as the Star, but be prepared to pay for them. Oh well, might as well get you started...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

With air & a bullet feeder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE

tomcat
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
No way I can keep up with that. It automatically presurizes the lube? Now I want one of those.:-D

runfiverun
04-06-2009, 11:56 PM
it keeps pressure on the lube when the air is hooked up the handle releases the lube at the bottom of the stroke.
if that is make mines video he is doing it the slow way.
with the feeder set up you can do 1,000 an hour if you got the tubes filled.
i can keep two-three people filling 25 tubes busy with mine [each tube holds about 50 boolits.
you can also seat g/c's one at a time then size and lube with one handle stroke.

Echo
04-07-2009, 01:35 AM
My dos centavos - the RCBS and Lyman work about the same, with a screw pressurizing the lube reservoir. I have used a Lyman, and presently have two RCBS (and a Star). My RCBS are older that also use the Chapman wrench on the hex on the pressurizing screw. IMNTBHO, you have a good lube/sizer that uses the least expensive sizing dies around, with the exception of the Lee system. You are not disadvantaged with the RCBS...

Bret4207
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Do yourself a favor and stick with the RCBS for now. Learn to cast really good boolits and then start looking for more expensive toys.