PDA

View Full Version : One Smith leaves, another finds it's way to my safe.

DanWalker
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
For those of you who don't know, I've made it a VERY serious part of my life to introduce new shooters into our sport. Like many of you, I'm known as a "gun guy" by a lot of people.
I consider myself an ambassador to the sport, and never hesitate to share my passion for it with anyone open minded enough to try it.
A good friend of mine is married to a lovely lady who was born and raised in Germany in a VERY liberal family. From what he tells me, she was absolutely terrified of firearms until just a few years ago. She's lived in Wyoming for 9 years now, and has lost her fear of guns, and actually expressed interest in going shooting. She's known me for a while and trusts me, and took a BIG step(for her) and went shooting with us. Well, long story short, she got hooked. She actually enjoyed my S&W 1911 the most out of any gun she shot that day, and told her husband they should see about getting one.
He also said he'd like a 1911, for a house gun, and as a fun gun to shoot. Well, they are my friends, and I sure didn't want him buying some el cheapo clunker gun to protect his family with, so I sold him mine.
This put me in the market for something to replace it with.
Today I found it.
I picked up this model 66 and immediately knew it was what I wanted.
The wind was howling today and, I'm almost ashamed to say, I didn't have any 38's or 357's loaded, so I haven't got to play with it yet, but tomorrow it's getting a thorough wringing out.

TDC
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
A 2 1/2" S&W 66 RB with Pachmyer's or Hogues is a must own pistol, IMHO. For a revolver it is the best combination of controllability, concealability and defense power a person needs. I've owned one for over 25 years.

I can understand why S&W discontinued the 4 and 6 inch "K" frame pistols in favor of the 686 because of the beefier frames, but discontinuing the 2 1/2" 66, or 2 1/2" mod.19 for that matter, was a grave mistake for those who want a slightly smaller and more concealable .357 revolver.

I've gotta say I shot one of the new lightweight alloy framed 2 1/2 .357's last week. I shot it twice and the gun was so uncomfortable to shoot I put it down... I can honestly say it was considerably more unpleasant for me to shoot than my 500 Smith....

Long live the 2 1/2 mod.66.... you'll love it.. I can see it being one of the most sought after handguns in the used market later.. I couldn't tell from the picture but yours could have a recessed cylinder and pinned barrel too -- all the better!

TC

skeet1
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Danwalker
I used to carry one at work but with changing dept. policies was not able to continue with it. If they would let me I would still be carrying it today. I did find another 2 1/2" 66 recently a newer model than the one I owned previously but still a great gun. You wont regret getting a 66, 2 1/2" have fun.

Skeet1

mtgrs737
04-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Over on the S&W forum board they praise the 2 1/2" 66 and 19's a lot, enough that I had my eye open for a resonable one at the Tulsa Gun Show last weekend. It was the reasonable part that made me go home without one. All I saw were $600+. I used to have a 6" model 19 and a more sweet shooting gun I haven't found.

30 years ago when I was in college an older guy in the dorm who used to be a US Marshal showed me his model 19 that had a trigger job, custom made finger groove combat stocks, and gold plated hammer and trigger (ya I know). That gun felt like an extension of your hand and the trigger pull was really nice! I thought about setting one up just like it, I would now if I could find a nice 66 reasonable.

Good luck! You have a jewel.

runfiverun
04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
dan. i just happen to have a few hundred 38's and 357's here at the apt.
swing by.
[smilie=p:

DanWalker
04-07-2009, 02:20 AM
dan. i just happen to have a few hundred 38's and 357's here at the apt.
swing by.
[smilie=p:

I'm headed to Moab on thursday morning. Maybe we could make a slight detour and swing by your place......

motorcyclemac
04-07-2009, 10:35 PM
I have a S&W 19 2.5 inch barrel. I have had it for probably 20+ years. It is a great shooter. I have carried the heck out of it...and shot it a lot. Damned accurate.... Shoot the nuts of a gnat....

Cheers
Mac.