PDA

View Full Version : SPG Lube

DSW
04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I have used SPG for black powder cartridge and it worked extremely well. Has anyone used it for pistol or handgun conventional powder loads?

Blkpwdrbuff
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
I haven't used it for smokeless handgun loads but, I did use it on some .25 cal rifle loads on top of 10 grs. or Reddot to fireform some brass. It worked fine!
Just my 2 cents.
Blkpwdrbuff

Tom Herman
04-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I have used SPG for black powder cartridge and it worked extremely well. Has anyone used it for pistol or handgun conventional powder loads?

Hi DSW,

I used to use SPG with my smokeless revolver loadings (all with Unique) to great effect: No leading and good accuracy up to 850 FPS.
I've used it with .45 LC, .44 SPL, .455 Webley, and .38 SPL.
I stopped using it only because I now make a dead ringer for SPG for only $5 a pound (I'm terminally frugal):

2 parts paraffin Wax
2 parts Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1 part Beeswax

Works great in cold to warm environments like here in SW WA... The lube melts about 140 degrees, so it might not be the best thing out in the sun in the desert.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

RayinNH
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
If you follow Mike Venturino's (a member here) writings in the gun rags, he uses it for handgun and rifle loads with black or smokeless...Ray

DSW
04-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Hi DSW,

I used to use SPG with my smokeless revolver loadings (all with Unique) to great effect: No leading and good accuracy up to 850 FPS.
I've used it with .45 LC, .44 SPL, .455 Webley, and .38 SPL.
I stopped using it only because I now make a dead ringer for SPG for only $5 a pound (I'm terminally frugal):

2 parts paraffin Wax
2 parts Sheep Tallow (Dixie Gun Works)
1 part Beeswax

Works great in cold to warm environments like here in SW WA... The lube melts about 140 degrees, so it might not be the best thing out in the sun in the desert.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. Does your home made formula look like SPG? At first blush SPG looks as if there may be some graphite or some other additive due to the grey color. I live outside of Phoenix so I may have to take a mini fridge out to the range with me!

Thanks,
Doug

Dan Cash
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I use my home brew for BP rifle, cartridge hand gun and muzzle loading revolvers as well as smokeless hand gun rounds. Works fine. I am starting to load .30 rifle ammo and will see how it works there. There are better and much cheaper home brew lubes than SPG.

Springfield
04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
All the SPG I have ever seen is yellow, not grey. Like my own mix better. Really like NASA from Bullshop also, much better than SPG through my Star sizer.

hammerhead357
04-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Springfield care to share your receipe?????Wes

John Boy
04-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Tom, your 2:2:1 recipe was published in a 1943 American Rifleman. Some say it is supposed to be the SPG formulation and others say it works as good as SPG and ... yes, it works as a lube in both Smokeless and Original Gunpowder. I've tried both your recipe and SPG with both powders and ... didn't seem to find much difference

cajun shooter
04-14-2009, 07:21 AM
All of the SPG that I 've seen and used has a yelloish tint and not grey just as Springfield stated. Where did you see grey SPG DSW? At this time I'm using the NASA blend for BP that BUllshop makes. I do have to add BW for the Louisiana heat.

ddeaton
04-14-2009, 09:34 AM
I like the Emmerts with BP and smokeless

Beeswax
Crisco
Canola Oil
Lanoline (optional)

montana_charlie
04-14-2009, 11:17 AM
The only grey (commercial) lube I've seen is Lee Shaver's moly lube. It is almost silver...
CM

Springfield
04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
My mix changes from time to time. I mostly use it in Big Lube(tm) cowboy action bullets, not so much long range. So when I say it "works better" ya hafta remember that some of my criteria for a good lube is something that will flow through a Star relatively quickly, not be too heat sensitive, and ship well. BL bullets hold so much lube that most anything will work decent. As for being a superior long range lube, I don't really get to do much of that, so I can't say. I am finishing up converting my Win. 30-30 to 38-55 so I should be doing more 200 yard shooting than I have been. I can say that after a 6 stage match my pistols and rifles come shiny clean with one pull of the bore snake, and I don't get any leading nor carbon buildup. So for what I do, it works. It is ALMOST as nice to use as Bullshops NASA lube. But the dang guy won't tell me his recipe!

wdr2
05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
I have used SPG in 38, 357, 38/40, 44/40, 44 SP, 45 Colt. Works great at normal velocities with smokeless. Very easy to clean gun and brass. Accurate!

wdr2
05-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Another thought on SPG - the lubrisizer pressure needs to be increased slowly since the lube is quite soft and can be messy.

Tom Herman
05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. Does your home made formula look like SPG? At first blush SPG looks as if there may be some graphite or some other additive due to the grey color. I live outside of Phoenix so I may have to take a mini fridge out to the range with me!

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug, John Boy, and the rest of of you,

Yes, the lube I make looks yellowish like SPG: It looks and feels like SPG, and seems to act just like it. I haven't bothered to see if they taste the same...
My lube does have gray spots when run through the Lubrisizer, but I attribute this to minute metal particles picked up from the screw and plunger.
OK on the 1943 formula! I'll have to look it up... It would be interesting to read the article.
And Bill: I'm envious of the .56-50! The closest I've come to it so far is to buy a couple of pieces of brass. Sounds like you're having all sorts of fun...

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

dromia
05-11-2009, 03:26 AM
I've found SPG to be an OK lube but it would run out in .577" Sniders and 450/577" Martini's.

Lars White Label BP lube worked far better in these calibres at a lot less cost than SPG. My home brew of beeswax, beef talow and lanolin works very well too.

I'm sure that all would work with smokeless up to similar velocity levels.