PDA

View Full Version : 20 cavity mould

acemedic13
04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
So my partner calls me and tells me he ordered a 20 cavity .330 mould today. he got it on evil-bay. Anybody get one of these things before??

Second, What do you folks cast with for OOB? Pure lead, WW, Alloy?? Whats the best stuff for this application. I might do some hunting with these rounds, but they will mostly be set aside for "Hallway Huntin' " in case bad guys decide they need my stuff more than me( I can only leave the door open and hope)

Also, I will be loading on my mec 9000. I load slugs by just leaving the shot bottle off and setting a slug in there at that stage, any good time savers or suggestions on loading OOB with this thing? I was going to just do the same thing.

Anyone ever reload these high base shells? I have a bunch of them and they are shiny and pretty even though they are once fired range scraps. Thanks for any input.

arclight
04-08-2009, 07:29 PM
That's probably the "Sharpshooter" mould. Mine casts a nice pellet. Make sure you run the pot hot and if possible, use a bottom-pour setup. Get a sharp pair of flush cutters to trim the sprues. You can tumble them if you want to round the sprue nubs off.

Load data is available on the Hodgson/Winchester site, or I can post here. I have been loading 9xpellets in a WAA12-F114 wad with AA hulls.

You will be setting these in 3 layers of 3xpellets each. I like to drop them in 3 at a time, then use the shot tube/wad setter to pack them down snugly prior to dropping the next layer.

For your high-base hulls, I think you could use the Lee data that doesn't care about hull type.

Arclight

acemedic13
04-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I had another question. Can you load those high base to the same load spec's that they were when new? I understand that shells brake down after being loaded a few times. I am looking to lod them one more time (thier 1st reload) and then just set them up in an ammo can, for storage. If it is their first reload I would imagine that they could be set back to factory specs. Any info would be great. TAke care. Joel

klcarroll
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I use the "Sharpshooter" 00Buck mould also.

I cut the pellets off the sprues with a flush-cutter, ....tumble them for an hour: .......And they look llike factory made!

The only change I had to make was fitting an oversize set of wooden handles. (That was a "Must Do"!)

Kent

shotman
04-09-2009, 05:00 PM
shells are same new or reloaded On a 9000 you need to place pellets in by hand. For good 00 loads a shot cup is not the best . It will work but your best loads will be with the card/fiber type load. There is too much give on a shot cup.

acemedic13
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I was thinking of using some AA 4 petal wads or some claybusters. I have both sitting around here. I have heard fiber wads work really well, I have just never really used them. Not opposed to it, just never needed them. I will try and pick some up and load them in a test phase with all 3 types.

I load my slugs with regular wads. Is there any benefit to using other wad types with slugs? I use a lee slug mold. I can't really remember the grain weight offhand. I think it is around 500 or so with WW. I can't wait for this mould to get here and start putting som 00-B's in some plastic!!! Also, do you guy's use WW or, as close to pure as possible??
Thanks.