PDA

View Full Version : Goofs on GunBroker

alamogunr
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I had never seen this before in all my years of looking thru the GunBroker listings. Someone bid the price beyond the "Buy It Now" price. The site doesn't know how to handle it, I guess. The auction is still open. I wonder if the bidder has realized what he did yet.

I guess the word "goofs" could be interpreted as a verb or a noun.

John
W.TN

DickK
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I've seen similar things on eBay where people have bid higher than the retail cost, e.g. the price at Midsouth, etc.. I think people have gotten it into their minds that things are cheaper at auction sites and just don't bother comparing prices. They don't realize many of the people offering items for sale are just retail businesses. They also don't realize the shipping costs on auction sites tend to be high, especially on a single item. For me, shipping and sales tax have become a real deal killer!

oneokie
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Not familiar with the GB auctions, but on fleabay, if someone bids on an item with a BIN price, it automatically takes the BIN out of the equation.

captainkirk
04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
It surprised me a bit recently too. I sold a box of 500 nitro express shells on Gunbroker and two guys went at it and overshot the buy it now price. I am pretty sure the buy it now price stays up after the first bids on gunbroker because I bought some brass that way. I was unwilling to gamble and the BIN price was very good.

Your mileage will likely vary.

captainkirk

jdowney
04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I've seen that happen a couple times on GB, when someone is hoping to get the item for less than the BIN price, but puts a maximum bid in slightly over, probably assuming that they'll get it by precedent if someone tries to use the BIN price. I don't think its a flaw in their software, its like the 15 minute rule that prevents sniping.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-07-2009, 03:02 AM
I guess they don't understand, Buy it now, all you have to do is check the BIN box and it is yours, it comes off the board and you get a bill. pretty simple, or at least it has worked for me several times when I saw something I just had to have....I just don't have the money to buy used "stuff" for 1 1/2 times the price of new stuff.:confused: [smilie=s: