PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot's Hollow Point conversions

GLL
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
There have been a couple of questions lately about Hollow Points and the rarity/expense of buying them on the net. I have given up trying to find them. Someone referred me to Buckshot's HP service and I have been a fan ever since. Here is an example of my single cavity Lyman 429421 that has been modified to HP. He has already made up several others for me and my shooting partner. She loves the Ideal 454424HP and 452432HP in her S&W 625.

The bullets in the photo were an experiment with straight WW but the addition of 2% more tin and a little more heat will help fill out around the spud a little better. What I really like is the ability to change the depth of the spud or even add a new spud.

Thanks Rick ! :) :)

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/BD88AD7A19EE4B9/standard.jpg

Idahoser
02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm bookmarking this thread. I don't have a mold or money to get one right now but I'm definitely going to add some of these to my collection (of one)!

Swagerman
02-15-2006, 12:31 PM
With the hollow point displacing the space in the nose doesn't make the bullet quite a bit lighter.

Really nice work by BS.

Jim

GLL
02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Jim:

It does make it much lighter but the 429421 is somewhat heavy to begin with. I shoot them in .44Special revolvers so they work out well.

I saw the photo of your old S&W revolvers. VERY nice ! :)

Jerry

Murphy
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
That is a fine looking hollow point. I already have a #429421 HP by Lyman. If I didn't, Buckshot could count on getting my business. Very nice indeed.

Murphy

Blacktail 8541
02-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I might send Buckshot a mould to cnvert. Very nice work and design!

gregg
02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
WOW That is nice. Buckshot ooohhh Buckshot... What do you get for a nice
job like that? How about opening up a Lyman mold two or three thou.
How about cuting wider bands on a Keith Lyman? Buckshot you got a full
time job? You could go into fixing Lyman molds full time I bet. ;-) ;_0

nighthunter
02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Does Buckshot have a web site? How do I contact Buckshot for a HP,ing conversion? That HP looks a whole lot better than the Lyman mold I have been using for years.
Nighthunter

carpetman
02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Nighthunter---How do you contact Buckshot? He has been known to post right here on rare occasion. Be patient and wait and you might catch him. Seems to be a lunar thing. He only posts during quarter moons,penny moons,dollar moons,dime moons,nickle moons,peso moons, ,half moons,full moons, starving moons,,new moons,old moon,antique moon,pre historic moon,waxing moon,bullet lubing moon,harvest moon,moonshine moon,beer moon,moon pie,moonrise,moonlight Sonata,moon struck,moon someone on the freeway,and any other moony time. He is consistAnt.

GLL
02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
nighthunter:

Go to the thread "Where are the Lyman Hollow Points ?" in this section and you will find more info about Buckshot's work and his own post. You can Private Message him from there.

Jerry

Buckshot
02-18-2006, 03:44 AM
................Jerry, thanks for the post, ............. I think. I haven't had much time for all this shooting stuff you guys talk about all the time. Those are nice looking boolits BTW. You do a good casting job.

Carpetman, thanks for getting my schedule up! Appreciate that.

Nighthunter, nope, no website. I have a pretty good handle on turning the infernal contraption on and off. That about wears out my capabilities. For coms you can e-mail or PM me. PM's are best.

Gregg, sorry, I do no internal mould alterations other then boring out GC shanks. Been there, done that with other alterations and no thank you very much 8). To much of a butt puckering experience being where you can't see, with a single point tool staring at dial indicators for movement. I'm not sorry to say I'm just not currently man enough for that!

.................Buckshot

Wayne Smith
02-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey, Rick, you did a good job on my NEI .41LC mold, even if you did have to make a push through sizer. Works great, butt puckering or no.

gregg
02-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Buckshot I understand. Time real short here. Shooting is more daydreams than doing. "I'm just not currently man enough for that!" Buckshot Your doing some great work. Hope to dip in to metal work myself ... Someday... poo in one hand and wish in the other. You can guess what one filling up the fastest

beagle
02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm glad to see some interest in HP moulds again. For a while, I though me and Orygun Mark and Glenn Fryxell were the only ones left in the country interested in them.

The original HPs on E-Bay are just too high for the normal caster. No reason not to have them "custom " made from an otherwise common mould.

Unfortunately, none of the custom makers want to take this project on and it falls to the machinists among us to answer the need.

Rick, keep up the good work./beagle

GLL
02-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Buckshot:

I just saw this on eBay. It sold for $43.61 ! I fell off my chair when I saw it. You had better fire up that lathe and crank out a few of these ! :) :)

Jerry

Buckshot
02-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Buckshot:

I just saw this on eBay. It sold for $43.61 ! I fell off my chair when I saw it. You had better fire up that lathe and crank out a few of these ! :) :)

Jerry

...............Holy Cats! Did it even say what mould it was for? That's hard to believe.

.............Buckshot

Bodydoc447
02-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Boy did I mess up! I bought a really nice 358156HP off E-screw last month. Probably paid 4 or 5 times what you would have cost. And I would have cast a solid to boot instead of a single HP. I do love that mold though, so $ wasn't a total waste. Guess I need to ask around before I pop for such high priced molds. Ever consider HP-ing a 41028 mold?

Doc

GLL
02-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Rick:

They indicated it was for a 358429.

At $43 each I may clean off my own old lathe and start an eBay business. :)

Jerry

nighthunter
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I have a MM 440 gr. 459 mold in double cavity. Would it be possible to HP one cavity of the mold? The bullets shoot beautifully in my 45-70's and I'd like to stick with it. I'd like to have a wider hollow point than what is in my 457122. I think my MM is about 75% meplat so nose surface shouldn't be a question. Is this worth pursueing?
Nighthunter

Blueknight2520
02-23-2006, 12:41 AM
Buckshot:

Jerry

I recently HPed a lyman 358156 and made a spud for it that looks very similar to the one you posted. My stop collier is a little different and is set up with a stop/lock so the spud is in the same orientation every time. But I could copy Lymans

I wont try to hp other peoples molds yet but I could make custom spuds.

Im playing with a way to made 2 cavity molds cast 2 hp bullets at a time with auto centering spuds. Got some sketches but haven’t machines anything yet.

Buckshot: That’s fine work . You are right internal mods are far far to stressful for any money. Would rather make the mold from scratch

Molds from scratch may be in the offing. Provided my medical will allow it.
BK

crazy mark
02-23-2006, 01:11 AM
BK,
Cramer had a nice sustem that has the HP pins held in place with 2 cross pins that come in from one mould half side. When you close the mould it centers the HP pin and when you open the mould push in on the 2 pins and then turn the mould over. HP bullets fall out 2 at a time. Mark

Buckshot
02-23-2006, 05:09 AM
............nighthunter, "I have a MM 440 gr. 459 mold in double cavity. Would it be possible to HP one cavity of the mold?"

.........That's currently all I do. HP one cavity regardless the number of cavities in the blocks. I did make up an automatic HP setup once as an excercise, below:

http://www.fototime.com/26496D670796088/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/AD6CEF56C8FE717/standard.jpg
The member here I made it for said it worked other then the boolit was hard to get off the pin. I either didn't have enough draft on it, or brass was a bad material choice.

I have a 4 cavity set of blocks that someone had tried to make a HP setup for, but apparently met with difficulties. I have had the thing for probably close to 2 years now. I know how I want to do it, I just have TO do it 8)

.............Bluenight2520, "That’s fine work . You are right internal mods are far far to stressful for any money. Would rather make the mold from scratch"

..........Thank you. I did do one, which apparently worked okay for the customer, but I did it wrong, below:

http://www.fototime.com/B14C8C7293C3501/standard.jpg

The customer wanted THREE drive bands. Early in my machining career :-). I ground up the single point tool and got everything all setup. However when advancing the tool inside the mould I forgot to add in the width of the tool so I failed to advance far enough. For what I DID do, it turned out pretty nice. Wrong, but nice!

The entire hollowpointing deal is a pretty straightforward operation. This is the hard part, below:

http://www.fototime.com/2235C21F3A083BE/standard.jpg

That's setup. Setup is everything and early on I spent a LOT of time chasing thousandths across the parting lines, back and forth. I have yet to indicate in a set of blocks where the TI doesn't bounce as it crosses the line. Some have been MUCH better then others.

The major problem working on the insides of mould cavities is that NOTHING is square. All you can do is pick a major reference and go from that.

http://www.fototime.com/6684CE3056F7995/standard.jpg

I bought a Wilton toolmaker's vise, which is supposed to be true to .0002" in 3 axis. I set it up on a trued faceplate and spent quite a bit of time trying to get a cavity to run absolutely true to the limits of the vise and my measuring ability. I was using a TI accurate to .0001". It was hell, and I picked a point to stop and check out the blocks and the cavities.

http://www.fototime.com/2E52E1F832F7ACF/standard.jpg

Checking on a granite surface plate, accurate to 50 millionths you suddenly discover several things about cavities and the blocks they're bored into, HA!

...............Buckshot

Urny
02-23-2006, 07:22 AM
That would be me that Buckshot made the automatic hollow point attachment for. Very nice work that gave me a bit of a fit, but that I hope to sort out come warmer weather. A new pin, or variety of pins, should solve the drop problem, and I have some deviant ideas on hollow point shapes to play with. A shallow cup point will be the starter.

Bret4207
03-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Dere Meestir Booksnot- I se you work holo pint in sttel moold block. Here in Friizickistan we no have such ting. I sned you chick for $35,000.00 USA dolers and you meek me mani, mani theese tings. ALso you take chick to me cousan in Balteemor Marilund USA and he cash chick. Bring mani,mani moolds wit you to give to cousan. Moolds muss be wons wich peepuls pay mani, mani USA dolers for in EBAY. ALso bring any LEVI geens you have too and NIKEE shooes and kokane youb have to cousan for USA dolers. Gif to cousan and he will cash chick and gif you USA dolers after you gif him product. He no Rooshin Mafia, he bizzniz man. Hurry fast. Yer fren-Vlad

9.3X62AL
03-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Where's a Cyrillic keyboard when ya need one, eh?