PDA

View Full Version : Use lee collet sizer to crimp boolit after seating

rollingblock
04-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Have just begun to experiment with PP in 8x58r. Found it easier to leave cases unsized and insert PP "boolit" with fingers and crimp in place with collet sizer. Saves flaring the cases which seems to start cracks even with minimal flaring.
Pic is of 8x58 with CBE 180 FN PB wrapped with brown parcel paper.
Will get to test these soon and will report back.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-06-2009, 08:29 AM
The cracks in case necks you mention are caused by multiple workings of the brass to the extent they loose their "temper" and start to crack. Check into annealing here. A variety of loose to tight necks causes different start pressures leading to inaccuracy. Much has to be done for good shooting in terms of cases alone. I do not believe a crimp is the answer to anything in paper patched alloy bullets. BvT

docone31
04-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Just a little tightness with the collet dies. I found, if you can see even a little crimp, it affects accuracy.
I use the Lee FCD die. I set it just below where it crimps so it just tightens.

rollingblock
04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Maybe should have waited untill I had results before I posted my "Brilliant" new method. Groups around 6-8inchs. The tough brown paper didn't work as well as super market receipts. The only bright spot of the day was nice strips of confetti and no leading. Probably trying to run before I can walk.

docone31
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
My first ones were 20min of berm!
Don't give up!!!
6-8" is not bad for the first few.
Try lined notebook paper, and really hard castings.
You getting closer.

windrider919
04-07-2009, 06:17 PM
I too found that crimping PP was a bad idea. I lost accuracy and had groups that looked like a shotgun pattern test. It seems that the PP seperates at the crimp on firing. I just remove the bell till I have a straight case. I also found that the cases must be expanded to LIGHTLY grip the bullets. To tight a case grip actually sized the softer alloy bullets to underbore and again accuracy was lost. Most dies are machined to size the brass to grip J-bullets tightly to withstand either magazine battering from recoil and/or bullet pullout from recoil inertia. Sometimes die setups will scrape the PP off the bullet even with a large mouth bell. That is an indication that you need a larger dia. size ball to decrease case tension.