PDA

View Full Version : 50-110

Echo
04-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Wow. Saw a GORGEOUS 50-110 at the range today. Rebuilt by the rebuilder whose name escapes me, but a HANDSOME, GORGEOUS, thumper. Rich color-case-hardening, sharp checkering, &cetera. I didn't see him shoot it - he was through when I got there, but will be back. Will take it on a hunt in BC later this year, and will fear no bear...

FAsmus
04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Echo;

I happen to have a "Big Fifty" myself.

I load it with a 680 grain Jones bullet over an ( undisclosed ) load of 4198 to get about 1350 ft/sec.

This kind of load and rifle may be considered "special use" for sure! I can sit and fire it for 30 or 40 rounds off the cross-stick rest with relitive ease but it really isn't any fun to load for or shoot as compared to other more conventional rifles.

The "BIG" part of the description is the point: The rifle is just plain big everywhere; cost ( of everthing! ), complexity of loading procedures, difficulty in shooting off the bench with uniform follow-through, on and on.

In short, unless you have a reall pressing need for one save your money; buy something more reasonable.

Good evening,
Forrest

missionary5155
04-09-2009, 11:48 AM
But then ya never know when a tyranosauras stamped will overcome you.
It is similar to reaming out the chokes in your 12 guage double so you can shoot Round Ball with 135 graiin charges of 2F.... there really is no NEED. But then I have one and it is FUN !
Mike in Peru

Echo
04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Actually, the gun belongs to Turnbull - he loaned it to the fellow for familiarization prior to an article on hunting in BC. And (1) I wouldn't want to punish my sensitive body shooting that boomer, and (2) no way I can afford it, so I don't lust for it. But.

It is ONE GORGEOUS GUN!

By the way, the shooter was wearing a strap-on shoulder pad...

And Mike, I'll bet that 12 backs off those RB's vigorously!

FAsmus
04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Gentlemen;

The reason I built a Big Fifty was the old "purpose built" deal: I wanted a rifle (within the rules) that would out-class all the rest of the rifles on the firing line at the Montana 1000 yard Championship.

This match is limited to single shot rifles shooting cast bullets above 375 in diameter, any safe CB or paper patch load. No gun carriages allowed though; it still has to look like a rifle ..

The method worked and sure enough winning is the most fun of all. However, even though the rifle weighs 15 pounds it still comes back with plenty enough force to make me gasp for breath at every shot.

Not because of the pain, for really it isn't as uncomfortable as, say, a 7 1/2 pound 30'06 with a hot 180 grain jacketed load but the thing first kicks like a heavy punch from a 250 pound hairy-chested fighter, then keeps on coming, rolling me somewhat backward and the rifle lifting off the cross-stick rest.

Good evening,
Forrest

EDK
04-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Echo, PM Idaho Sharpshooter about his 50/110. He was making noise about selling it.

Echo
04-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the thought, EDK. The Big Fifty is just 'way more of a rifle than I want, or need. Still the Turnbull rifle has to be seen... (probably more enjoyable seeing it than firing it)