PDA

View Full Version : RIA Tactical Compact

DanWalker
04-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Anyone got any firsthand experience with these guns?
I've allready read a dozen different people's opinion that ,"They are a great gun for the money"
I'm more interested in specifics.
How did it shoot?
What size were the groups?
Any functioning or ergonomic issues to speak of?
Thanks,
Dan

McLintock
04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't have the Tactical Compact, but I did buy a full size RIA Tactical and have shot it some (probably 3-400 rounds), both in a Cowboy Action Match and just out trying it out. It was used (barely) when I bought it and they said it shot well enough, but I immediately put in a fitted barrel bushing, full length guide rod and did some work on the trigger, and I'm completely satisfied with it for what I bought it for, Wild Bunch Matches in Cowboy Action Shooting. It has good sights, a beveled mag well, and seems like a decent barrel, feeds well (all I've shot in it is 200 gr semi wad cutters, which will bring out bad feeding in any 1911), the safetys work good and everything seems to be staying tight. I wouldn't hesitate to put $375 in another one. I have two other 1911's, a Colt Officer's Model and a totally custom hi capacity one and I can probably shoot the RIA as well as either of those two.
McLintock