PDA

View Full Version : Remington 760

brianintheup
04-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Will replacing the original stock on a Remington 760 stop the forearm from rattling? Or is there some way to fix the rattling without changing the stock? If I change the stock to make the gun lighter what make would you recommend?

Bret4207
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I seem to recall a blurb in one of the Gunsmith Kinks books about this. Might be worth a look.

danski26
09-20-2009, 01:13 PM
The forearm rattle is likley caused by a missing or damaged "action tube ring" Rem part# (F15215). It is a rubber ring that fits in a channel in the "action tube assembly." It stops the "action tube assembly" from rattling against the "action bar assambly."

The part is around $4 from Brownells. Unfortunatly they are on back order right now. I am activley searching for some because I am fresh out. It takes less than ten minutes to replace. I am willing to talk you through it if you need a hand. Otherwise it should be an inexpensive fix for any gunsmith near you. Let me know if you want me to get an extra for you.....when I find some!

danski26
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I just notice you are from the UP. We spend a lot of time at our cottage near Eagle River. If it is worth it for you to make the drive we could set up a date to meet and I could make the fix for you.

danski26
09-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I have located the part and have a few extra if you need one.

James Wisner
09-22-2009, 12:11 AM
FYI.

The early 760 rifles never had any thing to stop the rattle of the forearm. Metal forearm tube to metal guide tube. These have the long guide tube under the barrel when the forearm is in the rear position. as well as the metal ejection port cover.

Then when they come out with the carbine model later, they figured out a way to put in a rubber O ring in the two piece guide tube. This stopped the rattle, BUT if the O ring goes bad on you, )(*&^%$#@!, it can lock up the forearm. Also a plastic ejection port cover.

James Wisner

13_93
11-07-2011, 11:41 PM
I recently obtained a late Remngton 760 in 35 Rem. caliber. It appeared to not have been cleaned for years. I disassembled it and found it, not only to be internally filthy, but that the Action Tube Ring was in pieces inside the tube. Looking at the standard firearms part suppliers yielded, what appeared, as much inflated prices for a basic O-Ring. I made measurements of the Action Tube Assembly Groove and then started looking for an inexpensive source for the O-Ring. My first look provided paydirt. Home Depot had a good selection of O-Rings in their plumbing section. I purchased a package of 10, O-Rings, of the proper size, for $2.43, which included tax. The O-Ring is a DANCO #40 O-Ring: 3/4" O.D. X 5/8" I.D. X 1/16 Thickness.

I made sure that the inside of the Action Bar Assembly Tube was clean and free of debri as well as the Action Tube Ring Groove. I applied a light coat of Gunslick lubricant to the inside of the Action Bar Assembly Tube and a light coating to the O-Ring assembled on the Action Tube Groove.

The rifle was much easier to disassemble than to reassemble. Maybe it is just me, but it took me a number of trys to get the rifle back together, correctly. The action, with the replace O-Ring, functioned as expected.

I have shot cast boolits in a Remington Model 141, in past years. The rifle was traded off some years ago. I should have kept it. I have been looking for a reasonable priced replacement for years. Finally found the 760, not perfect, but reasonably priced.

What I like about the 35 Remington caliber is the the case capacity lends itself to lighter loads for shooting 35 caliber handgun boolits and still very functional for the heavier rifle slugs. I believe this to be a super versitile caliber. Providing this rifle performs as desired, I will not let it get away from me as I did the Model 141.

Thanks for reading my post.

Marty

Stick_man
11-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Marty, welcome to the forum. What part of Utah are you in? I have an older 760 in '06 that I have been wanting to give a good deep cleaning to but have never had the guts to tear into it myself.

13_93
11-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Hello Stick Man,

Thank you for the welcome to Castboolits. I live in Brigham City. I have an NRA book that outlines the disassembly and assembly of older Remington 760 rifles. I would be glad to send a copy of this.

Marty