PDA

View Full Version : 41 mag

redriverhunter
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I may be getting a ruger black hawk 41 mag. 7" barrel I have been searching for a mold any suggestions. the bullet will be used for dear and pig hunting. thanks I gots lots of time as i dont have any large primers.

beagle
04-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Grab a DC Lyman 410459 and have buckshot HP one cavity. Should take care of all your .41 needs. Does for me.

That design's a Keith and shoots pretty darn well for me./beagle

Dennis Eugene
04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
good advice, that there is. Dennis

TDC
04-05-2009, 06:36 PM
redriverhunter,

beagle is "the man" on the .41mag.... I bought one of his molds recently and it's exactly the same one he's recommending to you.

The .41 mag is one of my favorite calibers... I have three molds for .41 and find them all accurate. I have a Lee 195 gr. SWC, an RCBS 210gr SWC and the Lyman 410459 beagle has recommended.

For deer any of them could do the job. For pigs I too would suggest the 410459 or larger for deeper penetration (they're tough critters to kill sometimes, especially the European Wild Boar strain and huge cross mixed ferals).

Good luck on your primer search..... We're all in the same boat with that...

TC

roysha
04-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Does your dear know you are gunning for her?[smilie=1:

GLynn41
04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
the lyman 410459 has been a very good mold to use as I have has mine since the late 70's- they are a little easier to find than primers-- sometimes--:)

Rodfac
04-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Beagle...do you find any accuracy difference between the two 410459's...that is, did the hollow point make a difference. I read an article once by Whelen in which he said he'd be told by J. Bushnell Smith that any bullet was inherently more accurate in a hollow point form. An interesting supposition and if true...I'd be hollow pointing everything.

I too, have found 410459 a great bullet in the .41 Magnum...a S&W 6" Model 57 that has served me well since 1978. Pinned bbl, recessed case rims, the whole enchilada. I had S&W's custom shop redo the trigger and replace the barrel right after I bought it. It came with an 8 & 3/8" bbl that was nicked at the muzzle. It shot well enough but I wanted a shorter bbl.

At the time, S&W ran the service shop in the factory and you could take your Smith to them for repair work. You signed in and the gunsmiths took you in the order of arrival. I signed in with the .41 and stood in line with about 10 police officers there to have their duty revolvers overhauled. In a few minutes I was called to the front of the line and a very effusive S&W shop foreman asked me what I needed. When I explained that the muzzle was nicked and that I'd like to see if they could tune up the single and double action trigger weights, he said they'd get right on it. The cops in line gave me that dead panned look they save for traffic offense excuses while I waited...having been jumped to the front of the line....

In a half hour or so the foreman came back with my .41 complete with a new barrel, and the triggers redone. When I asked how much for this deluxe service, he said no charge and smiled brightly.

When I got home, I got out Jinx' old book on the history of S&W and while thumbing through to find the table of contents at the front of the book found a picture of the current president of S&W. To my amazement, his last name was the same as mine...!! The reason for my deluxe treatment at the factory became clear...they'd assumed I was the bosses' son! A couple of years later after the company changed hands and Bangor Punta took over, things had changed and I waited like everyone else. The quality of the work by the service guys did not change though...they did good work then and cheap. The .45 ACP Model 25 I had, had the cylinder changed at factory expense due to undersize cylinder mouths, and a trigger job for the princely sum of $25...1985 dollars.

HTH's .... Rodfac

Matt_G
04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
FYI, there are two double cavity 410459's on evilbay right now.

Larry Gibson
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
My experience with the .41 Magnum stretches from '75 to the present with numerous S&Ws and Rugers having gone through my hands. I now use a 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley BH in .41 Magnum as my main BG hunting revovler. For PB'd cast bullets I've used the Lyman 410059 and RCBS 41-210-SWC off and on for many years. I've come to find little difference between the two. The 10 gr difference doesn't make much difference at all. The biggest mistake I made was having the GC shank of a a Lyman 410610 opened to PB. With it using GCs I could drive that bullet to 1450 fps with excellent accuracy. The PB bullets only get the same accuracy at 1200-1300 fps. If one has a 4-6" barreled revolver then the PB'd bullets are excellent. However with a 7 /2"+ revolver of a 10" Contender the GC bullets come into their own and are superior, especially when using a HP'd bullet or a softer alloy when wanting expansion (I most often do as expanding cast bullets kill quicker and penetration is quite sufficient).

I'm currently using the RCBS 41-210-SWC right at 1300 fps out of my Bisley with complete satisfaction. It handles about 90% of my BG hunting needs and does very nicely on deer and pigs. I will be using it on a pig hunt this coming November in Texas. However, since I messed up the GC'd 410610 mould I use XTPs at 1450 fps for elk and really large pigs. I will probably get another 410610 or a copy in the future.

I also use the Lee TL 410-175-TC and the TL 410-210-SWC for plinking and small game at 850 and 1050 fps. I've found little use for the "heavy" cast bullets, even on elk and larger pigs, that are the "fad" these days. A good 210-220 gr SWC cast bullet is well balanced and does a very good job on BG out of a 41 magnum. That is especially the case with 6"s or longer barreled revolvers.

Larry Gibson

bisleyfan41
04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Excellent and informative post Larry.
Thanks.

AZ-Stew
04-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Saeco also made a Keith-style .41 mould. I believe it's #417. The illustration on their web site does not look much like the boolits my mould makes. The ones from my mould closely resemble the Lyman 410459, but the ogive, for some reason, looks a bit smaller in diameter and a touch longer. I haven't measured them. It may just be my perception. Regardless, the Lyman and the Saeco are excellent performers. I use them interchangeably. For the record, my Lyman has a round grease groove, while the Saeco has a square groove.

Regards,

Stew

redriverhunter
04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
thanks for the replies, what does the DC in front of lyman mean, and the buckshoot hp forgive me but the buckshoot hp i am thinking a round ball with a hole
thanks
redriverhunter

TDC
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
thanks for the replies, what does the DC in front of lyman mean, and the buckshoot hp forgive me but the buckshoot hp i am thinking a round ball with a hole
thanks
redriverhunter

DC = Double Cavity
SC = Single cavity

I think beagle was suggesting you could arrange to send the DC mould to forum member "Buckshot" and have him modify one cavity of the mould to make hollow point boolits. You could PM (private message) beagle to be sure that's what he meant.

I'd like to have the same thing done to 4 of my moulds in different calibers...

beagle
04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
That's an interesting question and one I have thought about a lot. I have at last count 67 various HP moulds. With the exception of the 429360, 357446, 357443 and 452423, every one we have hollowpointed has given better accuracy for me than the "solid" versions. These four designs don't show any improvement.

What I normally do is acquire a DC mould and HP one cavity and leave the other as is. It's very easy for a machinist to make a "plug" for the HP cavity and attach it to a round piece of metal that can be attached by a screw to the mould block. This takes it right back to being a "solid" mould and still gives you the capability to cast hollowpoints if need be.

Buckshot's the HPing man now as my machinist buddy has moved on to better things like making target scopes and tang sights. Still have a few to get him to do yet./beagle

Beagle...do you find any accuracy difference between the two 410459's...that is, did the hollow point make a difference. I read an article once by Whelen in which he said he'd be told by J. Bushnell Smith that any bullet was inherently more accurate in a hollow point form. An interesting supposition and if true...I'd be hollow pointing everything.

I too, have found 410459 a great bullet in the .41 Magnum...a S&W 6" Model 57 that has served me well since 1978. Pinned bbl, recessed case rims, the whole enchilada. I had S&W's custom shop redo the trigger and replace the barrel right after I bought it. It came with an 8 & 3/8" bbl that was nicked at the muzzle. It shot well enough but I wanted a shorter bbl.

At the time, S&W ran the service shop in the factory and you could take your Smith to them for repair work. You signed in and the gunsmiths took you in the order of arrival. I signed in with the .41 and stood in line with about 10 police officers there to have their duty revolvers overhauled. In a few minutes I was called to the front of the line and a very effusive S&W shop foreman asked me what I needed. When I explained that the muzzle was nicked and that I'd like to see if they could tune up the single and double action trigger weights, he said they'd get right on it. The cops in line gave me that dead panned look they save for traffic offense excuses while I waited...having been jumped to the front of the line....

In a half hour or so the foreman came back with my .41 complete with a new barrel, and the triggers redone. When I asked how much for this deluxe service, he said no charge and smiled brightly.

When I got home, I got out Jinx' old book on the history of S&W and while thumbing through to find the table of contents at the front of the book found a picture of the current president of S&W. To my amazement, his last name was the same as mine...!! The reason for my deluxe treatment at the factory became clear...they'd assumed I was the bosses' son! A couple of years later after the company changed hands and Bangor Punta took over, things had changed and I waited like everyone else. The quality of the work by the service guys did not change though...they did good work then and cheap. The .45 ACP Model 25 I had, had the cylinder changed at factory expense due to undersize cylinder mouths, and a trigger job for the princely sum of $25...1985 dollars.

HTH's .... Rodfac

hedgehorn
04-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I have a saeco 413 that drops a swell 415 boolit

fourarmed
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Don't be surprised if you have to open the chamber mouths on a new .41 BH to accept the driving band of some of the Keith/SWC boolits. A friend bought one, and it will take the 410459 but not the RCBS 41-210. Of course, this may vary from mold to mold.