PDA

View Full Version : .223 loads with RU looks promising

IcerUSA
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Been working the .223 with Russian Unique from Hi-Tech and finally got a couple loads that look promising so far .

Rifle is a SPR 18 Model single shot , Remington is now the importer .

Lyman 225438 with 8.2 gns RU , OAL to engage the rifling shoots about 7/8" at 25yds. .

Lee Bator with 8.8 gns RU , OAL to engage the rifling shoots about 3/4" at 25yds. .

Worked up both loads from 6 gns with the Lyman out performing the Bator till today , I had loaded the Bator up with test loads of .2 gn increments from 8 to 8.8 gns RU as the loads before that just where not shooting like I thought they should .

I had changed the scope also on the rifle as it had a little BSA 22 scope on it and it took 20 of the test rounds to get it sighted in from the other rifle it was on .

Anyway , I got the scope sited in and then only had 5 test rounds for the 8 , 8.2 , 8.4 , and the 8.6 gn loads , put up new targets and shot all 10 of the 8.8 gn loads first and almost took the dot off the target , I print my own targets and the dot is 3/4" dia. so the scope is left a couple clicks yet but it was a good felling to see the Bator start shooting good .

Need to cast up some more Bators as I only had about 500 cast up for testing and they are all gone .

My alloy for these 22 cals is WW about 9 lbs. and Lino about 1 lb. and they are just about at the frosting stage when I cast them . Sized , lubed , and checked in a Lyman 450 at .224 , no leading .

Next will be to crony these loads to see just how fast they are going and then move out to 50 yds. and then 100 yds. .

As always YMMV , start at the start loads and work up as I did to find what your gun likes , no pressure signs in my gun but I think I'm close .

Still have another boolit to try out but haven't cast from it yet plus I have access to yet another mould to try out also , does this ever end (hope not). :)

Hope this helps a few of the group out who are thinking of using RU in their 22 cal. guns .

When I get the cronied loads and targets I'll post them for your enjoyment .

Keith