PDA

View Full Version : Lyman gas check installer

Cowboy5780
04-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Will someone explain to this dummy how to use this to put the gaschecks on
Thanks in advance

RayinNH
04-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Cowboy, let me explain it this way. When you size a boolit the boolit goes down in the die. To eject the boolit you lift the handle and voila the boolit comes up. The gas check seater is installed, small diameter up, between the frame and the head of the push out rod. This prevents the push out rod from going down and consequently the ejector pin from going down as well. Simply put the boolit in the die as if going to size the boolit and it thereby pushes the boolit down into the gas check. You can remove the gas check seater and finish the sizing and lubing if you want or as I do seat a buch of checks and then size and lube seperately...Ray

Cowboy5780
04-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks Ray makes sense now

Dale53
04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Cowboy5780;
It works EXTREMELY well, too!

FWIW
Dale53

lead Foot
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Your not a lone Cowboy it took me a while to work it out. I bought one for my RCBS LM2 works good. Be careful you don't bump long bore riders You don't much pressure.
By the way it cost me $25 AUS:(
Lead foot;

BoolitBill
05-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Can anyone get a picture of the darn thing installed? I still cannot figure it out.

RayinNH
05-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Bill, see page 5...Ray
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_4500.pdf

05-17-2009, 08:16 PM
It baffled me, too. It was all right there in front of me, I couldn't see it.

Hayfield
05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok. Still ain't got it. 1. Do you leave the sizer die in? 2. The slot in the GC seater doesn"t fit around the threaded adjuster ( too small of a slot). Maybe if someone could take about two hundred pictures from a hundred different angles I'd get it. I try this thing every six months or so and end up going back to my different size washers over a solid plate every time. Last time I took the sizer die out, got the seater stuck in the casting and had to beat it out with a drift punch.

RayinNH
05-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Hayfield, I don't have a picture for you, however we'll keep trying to get you operational. Yes the die stays in. Are you sure you tried to install correctly? Between the link for the illustration above and this link on how to install, it should work for you...Ray

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/pdf/LyC_BC_LS_GCS.pdf

lead Foot
05-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Hope this will help. You have to put the sizer die in for it to work. Put the gas check on like you are going to size it. It's the same action. The pic's should help.
Lead foot;

lead Foot
05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry about the pic's there were three different ones.

McLintock
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I bought one of the damn things, couldn't figure it out and just continued to squeeze the gas check on while running the bullet through my sizing die. Worked good enought to win two National Championships in Cowboy Action shooting with a 38-55 single shot (Browning). Also used the same procedure with 38-55 black powder loads for a '94 Winchester, and it shoots very well.
McLintock

BoolitBill
05-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Ray, thank you for the link to the diagram. Once I saw it the light bulb came on and I could install it easily.

lifeon2
07-01-2009, 07:52 AM
this is why I just use my lee sizing dies :-D

Boz330
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Glad I'm not the only dumba$$. I read those directions and went HUH. Finally figured it out by trial and error. I haven't used it yet but does it crimp the Hornady checks as it seats them? I have sme boolits that I don't want to size, just seat the checks.

Bob

RayinNH
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Bob, with the gas check seater installed it will not crimp the check. You will have to adjust the push out rod so that the boolit will go down into the sizer die only the depth of the gas check. I find the easiest way is to seat a bunch of checks and then remove the seater to either size the boolit or crimp the check...Ray

shotman
08-05-2009, 02:56 AM
If you take a thin steel strip and start check by hand set on the strip that you cover the size die hole. Use the top punch to hold boolit and press down on handle. Check will seat square pull strip and push in sizer. Takes less time to do than to read this. If you use the Lee push ups just tap the handle like you are driving the boolit into the die. they will seat square too.Execpt for that Lee 338mold. Its different, backards

Kragman71
08-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Hey,here is another dummie.
I bought one of those contraptions,about 10 years ago.
I spent a long time,trying to figure it out,to no avail.
It's been sitting idle,ever since.
Fank

mtgrs737
08-06-2009, 10:02 AM
A friend made me a disc type gas check seater. It works on my Lyman 450 but he uses his on an RCBS lubersizer. It consists of a machined disc that is a little larger in diameter than the sizer die retainer nut with a protrusion on the bottom to fit the ID of the nut so that it sits on top of the installed nut. The top of the disc has a cavity machined to fit the gas check bottom. To use it you place the gas check in the top cavity, then the boolit, then using the correct nose punch you press the ram down and push the bullet into the gas check. Sounds simple and it is, but on some 22 cal. boolits with sightly oversized GC shanks it worked very well to get them on square. The down side is you need one for each size of GC. Once set up, a good machinist like Buchshot or Lathsmith could turn them out licky split.

RayinNH
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
mtgrs, I did exactly the same thing before I got the gas check seater. I used a piece of 5/8" diameter rod and drilled a rather flat bottomed hole 5/16 diameter, 1/8" deep for seating .30 cal. checks. The disk was/is about 5/16" thick. I does work well but as you said, one is needed for each caliber used...Ray