PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Little Dandy rotors

Nora
04-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm putting together a range loading set up for experimenting with new loads. I'd like to consider the Little Dandy for it's cost and ability to be used without being mounted on a stand. The problem for me is I'm not finding any listing for how much powder each cylinder # will throw. I don't want to spit hairs with said powder is heavier the the next by volume or one lot number to the next. I'm obsessed with my powder trickler, so I just want to get close. But as far as the cylinder numbers are concerned, is there a system to how much each will throw?

cuzinbruce
04-04-2009, 03:54 PM
If you have a Midway catalog, look in there. Mine has it on page 336, Master Catalog #32, just received it.

Nora
04-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks cuzinbruce. I don't have the catalog but found it on the web sight. That is exactly what I was looking for. For others who may have the same question, here is the link. http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/charts/rcbs_powder_rotors.htm

Maven
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Nora, Consider that table as merely an estimate of what a given rotor will throw with a particular lot of a specific powder. Once you get the rotors and measure, you'll still have to drop and weigh a small sample of the powders you have on hand (say 50 drops*) and record what each rotor actually drops. That way you can quickly determine whether a new can/lot of powder X is of the same density/cc of the old or test lot. If you have an electronic scale, this can be accomplished rather quickly, but it's still tedious.

*After dropping 15 charges of Bullseye, for example, back into the container, and using a consistent rhythm, I drop ten charges into the scale pan, weigh it and record it. I do this four more times and then average the sum of all five [drops of ten charges]. Btw, the rotors don't measure coarse rifle powders, e.g., H/IMR 4198, very accurately or easily.

Echo
04-05-2009, 01:44 AM
As an alternative, I would suggest a Hornady/Pacific Pistol Powder Measure. No longer made, but a sweet item, often available on eBay for ~$25. They use a bushing in the slide - there are 22 different sizes, and they are brass, and easy to modify for custom weights. I've used one for over 30 years, and wouldn't be without it...

August
04-05-2009, 08:28 AM
The Lil' Dandy works great for the purpose you propose. It drops very consistent charges while being hand held. I use mine this way when working up new loads or for calibers that I don't shoot often.

Of course, the measure comes with the chart in the box. Rotors are surprisingly easy to come by. Seems like every year or two I add one to the family. I've read that you can "tailor" rotors with hot glue and drills, but I've personally not done this.

Bret4207
04-05-2009, 09:38 AM
There was an adjustable chamber made for the Little Dandy some years ago. I've only seen one, but it was basically a screw adjustment.

I want the LD for the same reason as stated in the OP, handheld use. A Lyman 55 works fine for that though, so I can live for now.