PDA

View Full Version : making slugs for measuring

Islamham
04-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi all . New guy here and this is my first post. I haven't felt my way around enough to figure out the searches so please excuse me if this question has been answered many times.

I have tried to locate suitable slugs and nothing works as well as I would like. I do have casting equipment and supplies.

Is there a "best way" to make your own slugs? I'd really like to hear how others are doing it.

TIA, Dan

John Taylor
04-04-2009, 11:35 PM
If your talking about slugging a barrel, I use lead round ball and a brass rod from each end to pound it. This will expand it in the bore and then just tap it out with one of the rods.

454PB
04-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Cast up a variety of your boolits in pure lead. If you need the slug to be larger, put it in a vice and squeeze it until it's the right size.

Islamham
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Dan

Tom Schafer
04-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Dan
I make my 1 oz slugs using a Lee mold.
I am using an older recipe for the slugs. I have fired 10 or 12 test loads and they work wonderful.
Tom

fordwannabe
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Hi Islamham, I went to a local muzzleloader store and the guy sold me 10 of each roundball from .32 to .50 for a couple of pennies each. I think they are great if I need something that is a bit bigger than one size but smaller than another , I either drop the smaller one in the barrel and use a stopping rod or tap the bigger one on the flat of my vice until it fits and then "slug up". Hope that helps. Tom