PDA

View Full Version : New mold making bullets too big.

supv26
04-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I just received two new Lee molds, TL430-240-SWC, and one of them is throwing bullets too big. I am sure it is my alloy, WW, so I will just get a sizer for these. I measured several of them and they all are around .431 to .432. I also ordered a sizer for my .451's so this next week I will be doing some sizing.
:Fire:

Wally
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Seems ok to me. You can try loading a few w/o sizing. If they chamber, you might be better off loading w/o sizing..that is what I do.

supv26
04-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Seems ok to me. You can try loading a few w/o sizing. If they chamber, you might be better off loading w/o sizing..that is what I do.

Yea, I may load a few just to see if they will work.
I am comparing them to some store bought cast boolits, yea I know, slap me. The store bought's are 430 to 431 and shoot very well. So, I figured if I can get them close to the same size as those I should be ok

dubber123
04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I size .431" for most of my .44's. My brothers Ruger gets .432", so you might be in good shape.

Maven
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
supv26, What a coincidence, as I have a double cavity TL-430 SWC that drops CB's a mite too small for my Ruger SBH that I was thinking of selling. My mold is used, but in excellent condition and casts very well. Care to swap?

Slow Elk 45/70
04-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Suv26, you are lucky the molds are doping larger than .430 . Most folks like this, even raise H if they don't drop oversize. If they drop under size, you have a problem, the accepted fix is send it back to the MFG. or remove a few thousands from the cavity of the mold, so it will drop a larger boolit.

Most mold makers specify that their molds will drop boolits + or - .002. I think the Lee molds you have are in spec. IMHO

Have you slugged the bore of your pistol to determine what size slug you need?? Most folk like to use over bore boolits to help prevent leading , usually .002 works fine.

243winxb
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list
are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum
bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic,
91.75% lead).
Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably
depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation
can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on
the weight among the most commonly used casting
alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might
show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference
in weight.
Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5%
tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having
the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with
such bullets running approximately .3% smaller in
diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with
Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the
largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will
produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3%
lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony,
with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets
with diameters and weights falling between those cast
from wheel weights and linotype.
Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably
smaller than wheel weights and in some cases
will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.
Within the limitations given above, the weight and
diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
alloy’s antimony content.
The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also
vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures
will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet
cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter
bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature http://www.redding-reloading.com/PDF...ulletchart.pdf

supv26
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I got my sizers in today and ran that first batch of .44's. That did the trick! I re-tumbled the bullets and will load them tomorrow. If the freakin' weather warms up I will try to shoot some this weekend.

Oh, I also ran some of my .452's through a sizer also and noticed those "slipped" through a LOT easer than the .430's. I am assuming that mold is throwing bullets real close to the correct size.

geargnasher
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Don't know if this helps, but I just went through a leading nightmare with some 1911s and a new Lyman mould (see thread on leading .45 ACP) and one of the things I found and fixed before posting was the mould. When I got it it was throwing .451 Boolits from ww+5% 50/50 solder alloy (which as 243winxp explained above casts small anyway) which were actually smaller than the grooves in my guns so I enlarged them very carefully and painstakingly and repolished and "Lee-Mented" the blocks until they throw .453" and, thanks to help here, I shoot them unsized now (almost .002 over groove, like slow elk 45/70 said above) and it solved my leading issue. Be glad your mould casts oversize for your alloy, don't be afraid to shoot big boolits!

Gear

44man
04-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Thank your lucky stars for a mold that drops the right size boolits. Most of us grit our teeth over molds that are too small.