PDA

View Full Version : proper breakin

jballs918
02-13-2006, 11:10 PM
well all today is a good day in the antes looney bin as we call it. i got my 32ws mold in today. now this leads me down a new road. the proper care and breakin of the mold. i have gotten a rcbs mold for my 32. so please if anyone can walk me through so that i dont ruin this mold that would be great. 50 dollars for one mold would really suck if i break it and i cant prevent it. thanks guys

Dale53
02-14-2006, 01:39 AM
If you ask 10 bullet casters, you are sure to get at least 8 answers. However, I'll step up to the plate and try to help.

First of all, you MUST remove all of the preservative from the mould. I use carburetor cleaner and spray it liberally (wear glasses or goggles and KEEP IT OUT OF YOUR EYES!). Then use a que tip to thoroughly dry out the cavity and use a clean paper towel to dry off the rest of the block. Do this again.

Bring your bullet metal up to heat and then suspend the closed blocks partially in the metal at 650-750 degrees for up to five minutes. Do not burn the handles.

Now, you are ready to cast.

Dale53

jballs918
02-14-2006, 03:00 AM
thats it i dont have to lube the mold or anything like that

scrapcan
02-14-2006, 11:37 AM
I think you should clean the mould and cast with it before you do to much. If you notice some problems then diagnose. You might want to put a little lube on the alignment pins and the sprue plate by the hold down screw. not a lot just a little dab.

If you get lots of lead streaking on mould top and sprue plate, you might want to smooth up with very fine wet-dry paper and then use a pencil to cover the top of the blocks and bottom of sprue plate. A carpenters pencil will work. Or you could read up on sprue plate lube, there has been a bit of writing on that in the recent past.

Are you going to cast with a bottom pour or with a laddle? Depending on the method, others may have some ideas for you to try to get better bullets.

The best thing is to get up to temp and cast some. In doing so you will learn alot.

woody1
02-14-2006, 12:09 PM
My experience with new RCBS moulds is limited to three. Buy 'em, clean, do the pencil thing on the top and sprue plate, warm 'em up while the alloy is melting, and cast a bunch of boolits. The boolits will be good. End of story. Regards, Woody

lovedogs
02-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Woody is right.

44man
02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Woody has it, no break in needed. A lot of guys use carb cleaner. I use dish soap, real hot water and an old toothbrush to scrub the mould. Use mould prep, sprue plate lube or a pencil on the plate and top of the mould. You can smoke the cavities, just use mould prep or just leave them alone. Get the mould hot before casting. You can set it on top of the pot while the lead melts, gently play a propane torch all over it, heat it on a hot plate or dip it in the lead part way until lead will no longer stick to it. Whatever works for you. Just never heat in one spot with a torch, heat evenly. Once you start casting, the heat will stabilize throughout the mould and good boolits will come out. If they are wrinkled, turn up the heat on the lead and cast faster.

StarMetal
02-14-2006, 06:15 PM
44man,

That old toothbrush you use to scrub your moulds, is it an Oral-B or a Colgate? :kidding:

Joe

44man
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
OK, you pulled my chain to make me admit it! It's for false teeth.