PDA

View Full Version : Tamale cassorole (easy)

Ole
04-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Ingredients:

1lb ground elk/venison/lean ground beef/turkey/etc. Seasoned with taco seasoning.
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 can cream style corn
1 can diced green chilies.
1 egg
couple ounces of shredded cheese.

Cook the ground meat, then add taco seasoning and 2/3rd cup water. Simmer, reduce heat, and cover. Cook on low for 20 minutes.

Once the meat is done, mix up the next 4 ingredients in a bowl. spray a 8x8inch casserole dish with canola oil.

Spoon in the muffin mix, top with the hamburger meat and the cheese.

Cook for about 20-25 minutes @ 400.

Enjoy. Serves 3-4

pmeisel
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
A friend does something similar, but splits the corn/muffin mix 50/50 between top and bottom, with the meat mix in the middle. It's good!

SWIAFB
04-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Ole, thanks for the info. I just printed the recipe off and the wife say'es she will fix it up later this week. I am always looking for something diffrent, recipe, loads, guns, not wive's. SWIAFB

Randall
04-05-2009, 11:54 PM
I just tried it out tonight and its easy to make and really good.

Shiloh
04-06-2009, 06:15 AM
I do a similar thing called Tamale Pie. I like mine a little more spicy. Feel free to add different type of peppers (chipotle) a lot more cheese, and extra cumin.

Shiloh

Shiloh
04-06-2009, 06:15 AM
I do a similar thing called Tamale Pie. I like mine a little more spicy. Feel free to add different type of peppers (chipotle) a lot more cheese, and extra cumin.

Shiloh

Artful
03-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Made Tamale Pie tonight - saw here it was PI day.
Ground Hamburger in the iron skillet browning with taco seasoning
when brown drain and add can of Rotel diced tomato & chili spicy
added a large tomato diced
added a small squash diced
added half an onion diced
added sweet bell pepper diced and deseeded
when everything was all hot and bubbly took off the heat
mixed up a package of Marie Calandar's corn bread and
spread on top and popped the whole works into 375 F Oven for 20 min.

Hmmm good.

rondog
03-15-2015, 03:47 AM
Oh man....<drool>....

gwpercle
03-19-2015, 08:00 PM
This is the one my mom fixed for us, circa 1965 or so, and my personal favorite.
TAMALE PIE

1 lb. ground beef.
1 (1.4 oz.) packet chili seasoning ( she used McCormick's).
2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce.
1 (15.25) can whole kernel corn , drained.
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated ( NOT condensed) milk.
1 (4 oz. ) can diced green chili's, drained
Optional, 1 or 2 Tab. green or black olives, chopped, to taste.
2 boxes (8.5 oz. each) dry corn muffin mix ( Jiffy)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 baking dish.
2. Cook ground beef until no longer pink, drain fat. Stir in chili seasoning, tomato sauce , corn, 3/4 cup of evaporated milk and green chili's. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour meat mixture into the dish and top with optional olives ( I like both).
3. Combine corn muffin mix, remaining evaporated milk and eggs in a medium bowl; stir until just moistened . Spoon and spread evenly over meat mixture.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned . Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Can be garnished with sliced avocado, salsa , sour cream and/or shredded cheese.

Thanks Mom for writing this one down...Gary