PDA

View Full Version : Lee Aniversery Kit...

BCB
04-04-2009, 07:32 AM
O.K. I posted concerning the Lee Hand Press and got many good responses. Also mentioned in some of the responses was the Lee Aniversery Kit. I have read a discription and I am unfamiliar with the "Breech Lock".

What is this set-up?

Do the dies still screw into the press? And I assume it uses standard dies--RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, etc...

Thanks...BCB

billyb
04-04-2009, 07:50 AM
The press uses interupted threads and a insert. You screw the dies into the in sert and with a 1/16th turn lock them in place. Once you have them adjusted you leave the dies in the insert. Of course they want to sell lots of inserts. Bill

BCB
04-04-2009, 08:00 AM
billyb,

That is interesting...

So, it might not be convenient to use the same dies in an RCBS press and then take them to another location and use them in the Lee Aniversary press?

The insert stays with the dies?

Thanks for the reply...BCB

billyb
04-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Yes, that's the Lee take on Hornady's lock and load system.

BCB
04-04-2009, 08:29 AM
billyb,

Thanks again...I guess that system ain't an option for what I want to do...

I don't understand why someone goes against a proven system. They lost my purchase for doing it...

Maybe one of their other "C" or "O" presses, OR maybe I'll just stay with RCBS...

Thank...BCB

mooman76
04-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Lee's reasoning begind this press is so you don't have to adjust your dies every time which can be a pain. Plus it keeps you buying Lee's equipment. It is a fairly good idea for someone who does moderate reloading. One problem is you need to buy these inserts for each and every die you own which could get a little costly if you have allot of dies. They aren't really going against the system, just trying to come up with an inovative idea.

Sixgun Symphony
04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Check the factory seconds page on the LEE website, I am sure that you can buy the older LEE reloading presses that do not have the breech lock feature there.

Russ in WY
04-04-2009, 10:08 AM
With it the dies ,as a set stay in one turret that you can change quickly. And once set for a particular bullet is good for as long as you use that bullet. I am setting up this sys for 38/44&45. With the Pro powder measure & the primer feed sys is as close to a Progressive press as you will ever get. My 2¢, Russ.

OldBob
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a Classic Cast Turret press and i love it, best press I've owned, my Rockchucker is mostly idle. If you aren't interested in the turret press, have a look at the Classic Cast single stage, pretty darn nice press for the money and it is standard 7/8-14 threads for the dies, no adapters.

BCB
04-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, I see the advantage, but I have dies that I use in my RCBS and I have them set for a particular boolit and they are never changed and I can use them in another press with no problems...

I started thinking about the hand press and I still may persue it, but I am still sort of favoring an actual bench-mount press...

I have checked at Midsouth and Midway and JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING IS NOT IN STOCK! What a sad mess...

But, I am trying to stay a bit inexpensive as this stuff will be left at a cabin I own and thieft is always possible. So they won't be getting a "top of the line" system. I ain't knockin' Lee as I have several of their dies and boolit sizing dies and shell holders, and auto-prime and they have all worked well...

Oh well, I will continure to read further posts and decide in the near future...

Thanks to all again...BCB

jimkim
04-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Here read this. It may clear a few things up.

The Lee Breech Lock Challenger press can be used as a quick change or conventional die change system. In either case, the press and inserts accept all manufacturers 7/8"x14 threaded dies. http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar142.htm <<<Link to article.

BCB
04-04-2009, 01:12 PM
jimkim,

So what your saying is that I DON'T NEED TO USE THE INSERTS? But I can use it as I do my RCBS Rockchucker?

I will read the article in the link you posted...

That would be great. Thanks...BCB

jimkim
04-04-2009, 01:18 PM
You just leave the insert locked in place. If you do this you simply screw the dies in or out like a regular press.

BCB
04-04-2009, 03:03 PM
You just leave the insert locked in place. If you do this you simply screw the dies in or out like a regular press.

Now that sounds more reasonable...BCB

mooman76
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
You might try asking here for a cheap press. Most loaders that been in it awhile have extras or go with the Lee C press. Not the best but cheap and it works.

saz
04-08-2009, 02:01 PM
BCB,
I own a Breechlock press, and I usually use it like a standard press (Rockchucker etc...) but it is always nice to have the option to use it with the quick change collars also. Just my 2 cents.