PDA

View Full Version : A hunting bullet for hogs?

qajaq59
04-04-2009, 06:32 AM
I want a .308 bullet with enough velocity that it will have fairly flat shooting characteristics out to a 100 yards. I generally try to hit them just behind the ear and it's a small target. But I also want it on the softer side so it will mushroom when it hits. I was thinking of 50/50 WW and pure lead with gas checks. If anyone has already figure out what is best I'd appreciate hearing it so I'm not wasting time re-inventing the wheel.

Dutch4122
04-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I want a .308 bullet with enough velocity that it will have fairly flat shooting characteristics out to a 100 yards. I generally try to hit them just behind the ear and it's a small target. But I also want it on the softer side so it will mushroom when it hits. I was thinking of 50/50 WW and pure lead with gas checks. If anyone has already figure out what is best I'd appreciate hearing it so I'm not wasting time re-inventing the wheel.

You're on the right track with the 50/50 wheelweight alloy and pure lead. The trick with that alloy is to water drop them from the mold into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Lube and size within 24 hours. They'll harden to a BHN around 22 after a couple of days, but they won't get brittle. That way with proper boolit fit in the throat you can shoot them faster with no leading; and still have a slug that will be hard enough to withstand higher velocity/pressures, be tough and hold together when it encounters bone, and still mushroom enough on game animals.

Hope this helps,:Fire:

Hickory
04-04-2009, 07:03 AM
This senerio sounds like what I wanted to shoot deer in the Black Hills SD.
The 50-50 recipe will work, However, you may only get 2 or 3 shots before accucary goes south. What I ended up doing was, in my 7x57 I made sure I had a clean bore and knew where the point-of-impact was with the first shot and kept the velocity under 1600 fps.

To find the point-of-impact with the first shot you will have to make sure the barrel is absoultly clean and dry. Then fire that first round from your gun.
Do this five times in a roll to determ the group and make any sight adjustments needed.

Long process, and a lot of work but it was necessary for me to get what I wanted, a lead boolit that would expand.

Oh, by the way, The deer I shot went down like a giant foot stomped on him.

lead Foot
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I use the LEE c309-170F @ 1900 -2000 fps. The hardness is a little softer than 50/50 It's very accurate and no leading it flattens pigs. I use this in my Savage 170 30/30. I can't see why it shouldn't work in a 308.
lead Foot ;