PDA

View Full Version : Winny SRC Lever Bent In

missionary5155
04-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Good morning
The lever on my 1892 44-40 SRC is somewhat bent (collapsed ) on the outward side making the hand openeing somewhat narrow.
So what is a good way to open it back out to origonal size ?
Figured I would ask before I did a Bubba repair I might regret. [smilie=1:
Mike in Peru

cajun shooter
04-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Mike, What about a piece of pipe? The proper diameter should be able to put it back to stock size quick. Trying to think of something that you would have access to in your location. A blacksmith shop of sorts, and you could use the anvil. Later David

missionary5155
04-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Good morning I have all sorts of Sockets That are Close to the proper diameter. Just was loking for some advice before I do something more harmful than good.
So far my idea is to C clamp the lever (the side that touches the reciever) to a piece of thick flat steel so that does NOT bend. Grease the inside of the lever opening. Then insert a 1/2 drive socket with a steel bar through the socket opening and tap it down the length of the lever opening. Start with a smaller than needed diameter and work up to the proper size.
Hows that sound lever machanics ???
Mike in Peru

lathesmith
04-05-2009, 09:49 AM
If that lever is heat-treated, you will want to de-temper it before doing anything to it. Otherwise, it will probably crack when you try and bend it back to shape.
lathesmith

StrawHat
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Mike,

A bit of heat will make the bending and reshaping easier. Those levers are not hardened but watch a blacksmith shape iron, they always heat it.

A wedge of the correct size might help also.

MtGun44
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Figure out a way to jack it open with a bolt and a long nut or
coupling nut. Brass or leather against the steel to avoid gouges.
Something like a small turnbuckle as a jack.
Seriously doubt it is hardened or it never would have bent.

The more I think about it, the other side isn't any stronger than
the side that bent, a bad thing to pry or jack against.

Make up an external strongback (say 1" sq steel) and put a
pair of shims between it and the lever - at the loop end and
trigger guard end. Now us a pair of bolts thru two flat pieces
of steel (at least 1/2" thick) - one inside the lever, one on top
of the strongback. Slowly crank the two bolts to pull the lever
straight. If you can't move it far enough, use thicker shims under
the strongback.
Use 8mm thread bolts or 5/16" US bolts or so.

If that's not clear, PM me and I'll make a sketch and scan it.

Bill

docone31
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I bent my Marlin once.
Whittle a piece of wood that can be driven as a wedge. Carve it to shape as best as can be.
Slowly drive the piece to get it to shape.

04-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Yikes,
Gives me shivers just thinking about straightening one. Current repros have been known to break not bend so that may be a good sign for the orginal... and some parts on odd repros have, conversely, been known to be too soft. I think the Win originals have mild to medium type stock cut to shape, milled, smoothed then color cased. So they should be pretty tough on the inside with a hardened skin. The last one I worked on did have those attributes.

Whichever method you go with try little bitty steps first to "see" how the metal acts. If you do decide to heat it up it will likely end up with kind of an odd blue/color cased look to it. I'm not sure what heating will to do the original "toughness" built into it. May depend on how hot and how quickly it is cooled. Anywho best of luck!

rbuck351
04-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Put a bar of steel or hard wood tougher than the lever and at least as long as the lever,against the bent side of the lever with a shim at each end between the lever and the bar. Put a c clamp inside the lever and outside the steel bar and tighten. You will probably have to go a little beyond straight for spring back. Go slow and check often. If it bent in without cracking it should bend back without cracking.

missionary5155
04-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Good morning THANKS EVERYONE ! Still reading... It is bent in about 1/2" . My skinny fingers fit but will never with a glove. And it does get cold up on the mountain where I go walking some days.
Mike in Peru