PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base cast bullets and gas checks (.44 mag & special)

Safeshot
04-04-2009, 01:30 AM
Has anyone here ever tried to install gas checks on "non gas check" bevel base cast bullets for the .44 Mag & Special? I have some "commercial cast" 240 Gr. SWC cast lead boolits with a bevel base "without any provision for a gas check". They worked fine at low (.44 Special or CAS velocities, but would lead rather badly when pushed to Magnum velocities. I tried installing a gas check (the normal way) with a Lee sizing die. It did not work. (I did not really expect it to.)

Next, I tried installing the gas checks by forcing them straight onto the bevel base until they "bottomed out" on the base of the bullet (expanding the gas check in the process). Then, I ran them through the Lee sizing die. That worked and looked good. The gas check would easily come off with a little pull with a fingernail. (Not very secure.)

Next I tried installing the gas check with a small drop of "super glue" on the base of the bullet, forcing the gas check straight onto the bevel base until they "bottomed out" on the base of the bullet. Any "super glue" that was forced out of the gas check was wiped off immediately. After waiting about a half hour to make sure that the super glue had dried/cured, I ran them thru the Lee sizing die to size the gas check to the bullet. The gas check remained firmly attached to the bullet. I then applied a coat of Lee Liquid Alox to the bullet. I will fire a few of these bullets ASAP to see how they perform. It appears that this method may allow use of these bullets at full .44 Magnum velocities with no leading problems. (I hope.)

cowboyt
04-04-2009, 02:37 AM
Let me know how it works out - I've been thinking about doing the same thing
Cowboyt

Slow Elk 45/70
04-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Hullo Safeshot, It sounds like you are doing a lot of unnecessary work here to try and use a soft cast boolit at 44 mag velocities to stop leading. You don't mention the size of the boolit compared to the BBL or cylinder throats. A GC won't cure your problem if the boolit is undersized for your Bore/Groove size

You can buy Hard Cast commercial boolits that should not lead the BBL @ 44 mag velocities, if they are sized correctly for your pistol BBL.

The boolits you have are not meant to use a gas check, from the way you describe them. When you force this boolit into the sizing die with a GC at the base, you are reforming the base of the boolit. [smilie=1:

GC boolits have a "Shank" that readily accepts the GC with out the reforming of the base of the boolit that you are doing. IMPO I would not do this.:roll:

This is a labor intensive endeavor at best IMHO, not to mention the ware and tare on your sizing equipment. It will be interesting to hear how they shoot.

Good Luck

anachronism
04-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Most leading problems seem to be sizing issues. What diameter bullet does your revolver need?