PDA

View Full Version : Home made lube recommendations

toddrod
04-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I just ordered my Star a couple of days ago. I have read the bullet lube sticky a couple of times. I would like some recommendations for a lube recipe that produces as little smoke as possible using 9mm and 40 S&W bullets and smokeless powder.

I will be ordering some of LAR lube later on, but would like to try and make some first.

runfiverun
04-04-2009, 12:46 AM
his red should do fine. it is a bit soft for me. i make something similar to his 2700.
it's a ton easier to just buy his lube and probably cheaper in the long run.

mooman76
04-04-2009, 09:51 AM
If you are new to this I recommend just buying it until at least you get your feet wet. A stick lasts a surprizingly long time and really doesn't cost much. If you really plan on shooting allot then It might be worth while to make. Lar's lube is less than $2 a stick.

toddrod
04-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Considering I shoot USPSA, Steel Challenge and Practical Pistol competitions, I think a fall into the "shoot alot category" I have been casting some of my own for about a year and have been using Alox and the Lee push through sizer. I am just now upgrading to the Star. In addition, I really like to experiment with different loading of bullet and powder, so experimenting with making my own lubes is just right for me.

I have already made a batch of Darrs lube because I had all the ingredients in the house.

Shiloh
04-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I use Lars Lube exclusively. At the price he sells it at, it is not practical for me to make it myself. That being said, there is a lot of info on homemade lubes here on the forum. Just do a search. Felix lube and the variants seem to be quite popular.

Shiloh

Recluse
04-04-2009, 12:57 PM
In addition, I really like to experiment with different loading of bullet and powder, so experimenting with making my own lubes is just right for me.

I have already made a batch of Darrs lube because I had all the ingredients in the house.

I like to tinker with loads probably more than anything else. Trying them out IS the most fun of all.

But trust me when I tell you that tinkering with homemade lube recipes (especially your own) can be THE most frustrating experience ever. Sometimes there is no rhyme reason or logic to why a lube does or does not work.

Recently, I put together a lube that on paper, at least, said it should have been the cat's meow. Several synthetic ingredients and complimented by proven, time and range tested other ingredients. I was so happy to see it sitting majestically in my lube moulds--couldn't wait to put it in the lubesizer and do some boolits and then load and shoot them.

Result? Worst, sorriest, no-good lube I have EVER dealt with in all the years I've been reloading.

I've learned to make SMALL batches of experiemental lube, so all I was out of was a lot of time and "hope." I have several formulas that work well for me, but ironically, when it counts, I stick with White Label Lubes (Lars).

:coffee:

dromia
04-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Since Lars started selling his most excellent lubes at such a vfm price I've stopped making my own including BP.

However if you must make your own lube and I guess everyone should at least once. Then the two lubes recipes associated with this board as the originators are stalwarts here is Felix's lube and Bullshop's Speed Green. Both are excellent lubes with Speed Green being the easiest to make.

Lars sells an Alox version called Xlox that you can mix with beeswax to make good, old fashioned 50/50.

Eye of newt and tongue of frog........................

mooman76
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Maybe this will help give you some ideas. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=29683&highlight=speed+green

Willbird
04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I have been using home brewed Felix lube for some time now. $2 a stick does not sound like a lot of $$, but a solid stick will only do 1000-1200 bullets.

Bill

arcticbreeze
04-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I have used Lars Carnuba Red and it is a fine lube at a fine price. I did however switch to Jake's Purple. It is the same price and for pistol it is less sticky when storing lubed boolits.