PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Luber Sizer

Blacktail 8541
02-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Had my first opertunity to use my new luber and got to size about 20 boolits and the two top alignment nuts came loose! I called Redding and asked what to do. They said it needed to be returned to the factory as they use a special alignment tool to set it up. If their quality control is no better than that I will not be buying from them again. Sure they are going to fix or replace it, but add another $21.00 postage on top of the price paid and you see where were going with this. I just got pretty soured on Saeco. [smilie=p: BROnX CHEER

RANGER RICK
02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
They made you pay the shipping when it was their problem ????

RR

j4570
02-15-2006, 10:41 PM
I'd return it to where I bought, adn try to get them to pay for the shipping.

Then Redding can deal it with it as a return.

I've had to do this in a couple of cases, it's sad what customer service is coming to. I really hate to say this, but this is why I usually buy RCBS (not always) is I get good customer service.

Jason

Blacktail 8541
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
The plac ethat I bought it was out of stock and I needed it fixed or replaced asap. Genneraly I would have returned it to the place of purchase as defective and just got another one. I purchased it over a RCBS even though I live in the same town where Rcbs is located, but I was told that the Saeco was a much stronger unit. Now with this Problem I regret that decision.

BABore
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I've had mine apart twice and put it back together again. They're just guide rods. Just assembly everything loose. Tighten the top nuts first, then the bottom ones. Check motion while tightening. If your real anal, run the proper top punch into the sizing bushing then tighten the nuts. The big thing is that the motion is smooth and the top punch is not out of alignment. It's no big deal to do.

danski26
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I was planing on buying this sizer. Think I would be better off with the RCBS?

Blacktail 8541
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
I am annal on alignment issues, but if I had had this sizer for qa time I would probably have done it myself. It is a good sizer, I probably just got a friday or monday model.

JP Jones
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
It is sad that most grandfathers casting and reloading tools are better quality in materials and workmanship than current ones made under the same name after the original company owners passed away and their companies sold.

The Old Black Saeco Lubsizer is better than current make.
The Old Saeco Lifetime Meehanite Metal bullet molds make more accurate bullets because of their association with a Space Missile machine shop which did part of the mold block-sprue fitting work and the current company uses a spring washer to hold the mold sprue down.

The Old Blue Star luber sells at auction for more than the current aluminum copy.

How many of your tools came from somewhere else in the world today?

SAD ISNT IT?

JP

rbt50
03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
i just got a saeco lube sizer and haven't had any prolbems with it.i like it better than the lyman that i have.

Blacktail 8541
03-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Talked with the factory after I got it back and was told that only a handful have came back with this problem since introduction. Not haveing any trouble now and am very satisfied.

miltfarrow
09-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I've got four SAECO lubsizers, all bought VERY used at gun shows, and I've never had any problems. There are old, actually labelled Santa Anita Engineering Co, so that may be a factor. I had thought of treating myself to a new one, but maybe my oldies are better? I have dealt with Redding's service a couple of times, and they've been great.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM
I've got two of them, a black and a green for a long time now. I once took the black one apart to see how it worked and when I put it bck together I used a small machinist's level and a T square to make sure that nothing was amiss. Its worked fine since and I don't know what all the fuss is about an "alignment tool".....if between a machinist's square and level, it isn't right then what kind of magic is Saeco talking about? Both of the units have always worked well for me....done their job in all calibers and leaked a little from the die retaining nut, in the process, but not too bad. I like being able to use solid sticks of lube. I had an adapter made by a machinist friend that enables me to use RCBS and Lyman top punches as the Saeco screw-in types cost too much. LLS

cheshire cat
09-29-2008, 06:38 AM
I had an adapter made by a machinist friend that enables me to use RCBS and Lyman top punches as the Saeco screw-in types cost too much. LLS any pic's?:)

Dale53
09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I have had all of the popular brand lube/sizers (Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, and Star).

I prefer Star for all plain base pistol bullets by a wide margin. Next in line is the RCBS (but I will use either RCBS OR Lyman dies). The RCBS/Lyman style dies are much more available than Saeco. Further, I don't care for the Saeco "right angle" handle.

When I am using gas checked bullets, then the RCBS or Lyman gets the nod. I really like the Lyman gas check seater as it assures proper "square" ass'y of the gas check with the base of the bullet.

FWIW
Dale53

testhop
09-29-2008, 09:48 AM
dito for rbt50

TAWILDCATT
09-29-2008, 09:59 PM
any one ever compare the sizers.LYMAN, RCBS and SAECO.old lyman cat has almost exact look as SAECO.RCBS and LYMAN look alike.they all started in same place.:coffee:[smilie=1:

twidget
09-30-2008, 01:33 AM
any pic's?:)

Here ya go:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/twidget47/Saecoadapter2.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/twidget47/Saecoadapter1.jpg

The adapter is made from a Saeco top punch.

cheshire cat
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Here ya go:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/twidget47/Saecoadapter2.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/twidget47/Saecoadapter1.jpg

The adapter is made from a Saeco top punch.:D:D:drinks: