PDA

View Full Version : Consistant weight boolits

randyrat
04-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Just wanted to pass my little experience down the line.... I was trying like hell to make some consistant 45 200 gr boolits out of a aluminum Lee mold i just got.
I got the alloy to weigh out to 200 grains on the money, well i thought i did. I had one weighing in at 204 and the other 200. This kept on happening. I was getting frustrated and then ticked me off off. This never happened before that i recall. I was trying to be carefull as can be....
Well i happend to look at the fit between the sprue plate and the block and Bingo there was a gap.
I was able to staighten the sprue out in the vise (lucky), clean the sprue and the top of the blocks up and get a perfect fit. Then i was able to make some very consistant boolits...
I though i would pass this little tid bit on for those of you trying to make good consistant boolits from aluminum molds.

putteral
04-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I have 2 Lee 200gr molds. SWC and RNFP. Using both molds pouring out of the same pot I get 2 different weights . The SWC weighs in at 193grs or so and the RNFP weighs in at 203. No problems with the molds, just different weights. Both are consistant just different.