PDA

View Full Version : Found: Old Iron Muffin Pan...

Old Ironsights
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I found an old Iron Muffin Pan at a nearby antique shop. The cavities look like they will hold about 2# of melt each.

If someone needs somthing like that, I will go back over and get it.

They have it marked at $18.

Gerry N.
04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I found an old Iron Muffin Pan at a nearby antique shop. The cavities look like they will hold about 2# of melt each.

If someone needs somthing like that, I will go back over and get it.

They have it marked at $18.

Those iron muffin pans tend to snap into bits if they're spoken of harshly. I use alumin(i)um ones harvested from thrift and junquetique stores for about a buck each. They last a good long time and are phenominally cheap to replace.

Gerry N.

Sprue
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Those iron muffin pans tend to snap into bits if they're spoken of harshly. I use alumin(i)um ones harvested from thrift and junquetique stores for about a buck each. They last a good long time and are phenominally cheap to replace.

Gerry N.

Not !

Cheap = unsafe, each to his own.

I don't use anything else but cast iron. It'll be around a lot longer than us.

Probably looks something like this Old Ironsightes?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF0629_2.jpg

Old Ironsights
04-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Yep. Very similar.

I have no need for one, because I use Triangular angle-iron ingots, but I figured someone here might like one.

It holds 4oz volumetric. (a Lyman 1# holds a little under 2oz volumetric)

FWIW, the same shoppe (that's how they spell it) has an almost identical double burner as you post for $25...

LAH
04-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Nice picture Sprue.

jforwel
04-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I found one of those old cast iron cornbread pans last year at a gun show priced at $15 but forgot about it later on when I bought some gun related stuff and never went back to the table.

Today after dropping some clothes off at the Goodwell store I decided to take a gander inside and found the same type of cornbread pan for $2. I took it home along with another 100lbs of WWs.

Shiloh
04-05-2009, 09:23 AM
The ingots are massive!! What type of pot do they go in?? Do they fit easily??

Shiloh

Matt_G
04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
The ingots are massive!! What type of pot do they go in?? Do they fit easily??

Shiloh
Old Ironsights says about two pounds each. They aren't that massive! ;)

I'd bet the farm that they would fit into a RCBS ProMelt or a Lee 20 pound pot easily.

Matt_G
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Nice burner Sprue.
How long does it take to melt that cast iron dutch oven full of wheel weights?

I have to find me one of those, or just buy the fish fryer from Bass Pro that many here use.
The coleman stove really isn't cutting it. Besides, that damn fuel is expensive!
My stove isn't duel fuel, so I have to use the white gas.

montana_charlie
04-05-2009, 11:34 AM
If you search eBay for "iron bread" you get a page like this
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=iron+bread&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=bread+stick+pan&_osacat=0

While shipping for cast iron can be fairly high, you can see that some useful pans sell for pretty reasonable prices.
CM

Green Frog
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Nice burner Sprue.
I have to find me one of those, or just buy the fish fryer from Bass Pro that many here use.
The coleman stove really isn't cutting it. Besides, that damn fuel is expensive!

You don't have to go to all that trouble. Coleman has made a converter for your stove for many years to use propane. I saw one again at the Roanoke, VA Gander Mtn yesterday for under $20 and even Wally World sometimes has them in stock. They also show up at yard sales and flea markets... I think mine may have cost as much as $5 still on the card!

Froggie

Sprue
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Nice burner Sprue.
How long does it take to melt that cast iron dutch oven full of wheel weights?

My ingots are not very large, I've never weighed them but four of them stacked are just over the height of soda can. A soda cans diameter is also larger.

If you look at the pic above you will notice some wood framing at the base of it. That not only serves to stabilize the burner but also serves as a base for the heat shroud that I use when melting.

As for last years setup - the system above (is NOT very efficient) using natural gas. I plan on making some mods this year that will incorporate a propane tank.

The ingots above should fit most any 20 lb pot. I use a Lee Magnum and a RCBS Pro Melt.

Old Ironsights
04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought it anyway.

Couldn't stand to see it end up on Granny's Antique Wall.

Like I said, I'm probably not going to use it (I like stackable ingots) but I have it.

jforwel
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Old ironsights I like stackable ingots too, which is why I have stuck with two Lyman ingot moulds. BUT a $2 cornbread pan beats anything else and now I have a use for several empty ammo cans. Fill'em up with cornbread ingots. In fact I'll be visiting the big Army Surplus store in Idaho Falls this week and will likely get more cans or anything else I think might work with casting.

Sprue
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I stack those muffin ingots by flipping every other one, mating the angles, works ok. Think one stack is ruffly 2' x 2' . I recently came up with another sollution too. My supplier gives ww's to me, he stuffs empty 5 gal water fountain jugs with em. When I'm ready to melt I just cut a 6 inch square hole in the top of those jugs. Afterwards I just put the nuggets back into the water jugs. In a have to situation the jugs can be moved, well, it does take a lil effort.

Speaking of that cast iron muffin pan OI, I saw a cast iron #3 ladle at the flea mrkt last week. I may go back and get it, its probably still there.

Sprue
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I stack those muffin ingots by flipping every other one, mating the angles, works ok. Think one stack is ruffly 2' x 2' . I recently came up with another sollution too. My supplier gives ww's to me, he stuffs empty 5 gal water fountain jugs with em. When I'm ready to melt I just cut a 6 inch square hole in the top of those jugs. Afterwards I just put the nuggets back into the water jugs. In a have to situation the jugs can be moved, well, it does take a lil effort.

Speaking of that cast iron muffin pan OI, I saw a cast iron #3 ladle at the flea mrkt last week. I may go back and get it, its probably still there.

Thanks for the heads up and offer!

Ancesthntr
04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I got a 6-muffin steel pan at a store this afternoon for $1. If it doesn't work well, I'll toss it and get something else.

TAWILDCATT
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
muffin paans are avalible at a lot of used stores.I have muffin.corn stick pans and the muffins are #3 ,the sticks are #1 1/2.
OLD MOUNTAIN has the muffin pans at $7.+.new.
Target and others have muffin cast pans at $11 to 14.Lodge also has them.:coffee:[smilie=1: