PDA

View Full Version : Cap and Ball pistol manufacturer ID

Powderfinger
04-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I have an Armsport Inc. Model 5120C .44 1858 Remington New Army brass frame pistol that has no info on the pistol, box or manual of the manufacturer. The barrel is marked "Armsport-Inc.-Miami-Fla." & "Made in Italy-20C". It is about 30 years old.
There are 3 proof marks on the frame. What appears to be crossed swords inside a shield which is underneath a star, the letters PN underneath a star and the letters AP inside a rectangle. The barrel and cylinder have the first 2 marks but no AP inside the rectangle. Any experts here? I thank you in advance.
I would like to purchase a spare cylinder.

ETA:
I found the letters AC inside an oval on the butt and barrel also.

Muddy Creek Sam
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Powderfinger,

If you will PM me an email address, I will send you a document on IDing a BP C & B arms.

Sam :D

Powderfinger
04-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks to Muddy Creek Sam, I know now I have an Armi Sport manufactured in 1986 (no wonder it says Armsport on the barrel).
I have never seen that brand of spare cylinder offered for sale. I could only guess if a Uberti or Pietta would fit.

NickSS
04-05-2009, 04:54 AM
I am not positive but I have heard that Armi Sport is not making C&B revolvers at present. My brother has one and I know that a Pietta will not fit.

cad4340
07-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Powderfinger,
I was recently given a used Armsport 5120, which I believe is the steel frame version of yours. I also have an Uberti replica of an 1858 Remington. I don't know about all of the parts, but the cylinders between mine are fully interchangeable. If you want to give it a go, you can get a spare .44 Uberti cylinder through Cabelas for about $50. FYI, the grips on the Uberti are a bit bigger (more comfortable to me) and the hammer spring on the Uberti is a bit less stiff, just in case you are looking for other parts as well.
Thanks

saigafan2008
08-01-2010, 10:14 PM
Here's a link to a great document on Modern Black Powder Pistol proofmarks:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf

The AP means a 1986 manufacture date, the star-PN is the Italian firearm proof mark and the shield proof is a black powder proof mark.

Hope this helps,

Carl