PDA

View Full Version : Freechex .22 ???

Whitespider
04-03-2009, 07:11 AM
I'm interested in a .22 FREECHEX.
Checked on eBay and found the .44 version listed so asked seller about a .22 version.
He does make them, but commented that they "are made almost exclusively from .005-6 copper from hobby shops."

So I'm a bit confused, why not .005 aluminum from soda cans?
Has anybody tried make .22 caliber FREECHEX?
Can they be made from aluminum soda cans also?

trevj
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Look at brass shim stock sheets from McMaster Carr, or any other industrial supplier.

You can pick and choose in 1 thou increments to suit your needs.

I have made some checks out of 10 thou Al. Flashing from the hardware store.

Never tried the Freechex tool. I can't be bothered to swing a hammer that many times for gas checks.

If 5 thou will do it, Soda cans will work fine, IMO.

Order one and see if it works out for your needs. You can flog it on the swap'n'sell if it does not.

Cheers
Trev

JeffinNZ
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a Freechex I in .22 cal. and the best results I got were with 7 thou material.

badgeredd
04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm interested in a .22 FREECHEX.
Checked on eBay and found the .44 version listed so asked seller about a .22 version.
He does make them, but commented that they "are made almost exclusively from .005-6 copper from hobby shops."

So I'm a bit confused, why not .005 aluminum from soda cans?
Has anybody tried make .22 caliber FREECHEX?
Can they be made from aluminum soda cans also?

I've purchased a couple Freechex tools from Charlie. If he is tolerancing them for .005-.006 copper, they should work fine with .005 soda can aluminum.

Charlie seems to me to be a little set in his ways, BUT after I expained to him the need I had for a check for a modified 358156 mold, he made up a special for me. I also told him that if he made it up to my dimensions and it didn't work, I'd consider that my problem. I am happy with both of the tools he made for me and I made sure I told him so.

I'd think that brass shim stock would work well too, although one may have to punch out the disks and anneal them before forming them. Shim stock tends to be a bit harder than mild brass.

BTW, I am going to order another freechex tool from him for 22 caliber myself, as soon as the money availability is there.

Edd

rbuck351
04-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I make my own "freecheck" tools and am using both pop cans or .010 alum flashing. The pop can at .005 works on non gc type bullets but is too thin in single layer to work on a gc shank so I use the roof flashing there. One could use copper or brass sheet but the aluminum flashing is much less expensive. The gcs are time consuming to make but you can have an endless supply of whatever oddball size you choose and you can make them for your molds that are plain base. I don't use the disc cutter like the freecheck but made a die, punch thing that fits in my loading press.