PDA

View Full Version : Suped up DEWC .38 SPL Loads

336A
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I know a few fellas that have been using standard pressure .38 SPL load data from the Speer #13 manual with this bullet. They use Unique for these loads and I must say that the performance is nothing short of amazing. In a nut shell they basically make the same load that Buffalo Bore sells, but were doing this at least a year prior (maybe longer) to Buffalo Bore marketing their product. So I am entertaining the thought of trying my hand with this load. Has anyone here done such experimenting with this type of load?

Harry O
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Depends on the hardness of the bullet. I use a lot of Hornady swaged HBWC. They are dead soft and cannot be pushed very fast without leading. I know that from experience.

I also bought some local DEWC that are downright hard. They can be loaded as fast as hard SWC bullets. I also know this from experience. Since the thought is that the wider the meplat, the greater the damage in flesh, it is obvious that a DEWC is as wide as you can get in meplat.

ebner glocken
04-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Hopping up HBWCs is begging to blow skirts shortly after leaving the barrel. Play all you want with the DEWCs, the worst that will happen is poor accuracy.

Ebner

Boz330
04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I had a friend that used to turn them backwards with a heavy load and use them out of a Model 52 for Pin Shoots. They would bite into the pins and usually took them off the table even with a bad hit. That gun almost seemed like cheating for Pin Shoots it was so deadly. Of course I never had to clean it.

Bob

S.R.Custom
04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Yup, I used to do this back in the day... 8 to 10 grs. of 2400, depending upon the gun. (8.0 is a max for legitimate .38 spl loadings.)

mtgrs737
04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Inverted HBWC's have been used as the poorman's high performance defense round. They can be made even more deadly by scoring four lines in the inside of the cavity with a sharp xacto knife.

336A
04-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks your personal experiences fellas'. I'll be using DEWC from Tennessee Valley Bullets (TVB), as he is the only commercial caster that I know of whose bullets are 12 BHN. I wish I cast my own but until then I have relied soley on TVB bullets as the other commercial cast bullets out there are just to darn hard. Anyway here is another reason that this type of load has caught my fancy.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Buffalo%20Bore%20Ammunition%20150gr%20standard%20p ressure%20Hard%20Cast%20Wad%20Cutter.html

Dale53
04-04-2009, 12:36 AM
I have recently been shooting 150 gr Wadcutters (H&G #251) cast of WW's + 2% tin over 3.5 grs of Bullseye. The bullets have most of the top band out of the case (to easily line up in the chamber throats). From a rest they will shoot under an inch at 25 yards. I seat them with the sprue out. That will give you a perfect base and improve accuracy (ugly but GOOD). Here is five rounds shot standing, slowfire, at 25 yards:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img032.jpg

This is a consistent shooting load in my 686-4 (6") with Simmons Red Dot sight.

Dale53

Bret4207
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks your personal experiences fellas'. I'll be using DEWC from Tennessee Valley Bullets (TVB), as he is the only commercial caster that I know of whose bullets are 12 BHN. I wish I cast my own but until then I have relied soley on TVB bullets as the other commercial cast bullets out there are just to darn hard. Anyway here is another reason that this type of load has caught my fancy.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Buffalo%20Bore%20Ammunition%20150gr%20standard%20p ressure%20Hard%20Cast%20Wad%20Cutter.html

If all those commercial casters making "hard" boolits would size them .002 fatter they'd perform a lot better.

Bret4207
04-04-2009, 09:39 AM
I have recently been shooting 150 gr Wadcutters (H&G #251) cast of WW's + 2% tin over 3.5 grs of Bullseye. The bullets have most of the top band out of the case (to easily line up in the chamber throats). From a rest they will shoot under an inch at 25 yards. I seat them with the sprue out. That will give you a perfect base and improve accuracy (ugly but GOOD). Here is five rounds shot standing, slowfire, at 25 yards:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img032.jpg

This is a consistent shooting load in my 686-4 (6") with Simmons Red Dot sight.

Dale53

Memo to self- "Self, never, ever shoot against Uncle Dale for money!!!":mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dale53
04-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Bret;
Thanks for the kind words. I can't do this on demand, but it happens often enough to be satisfying:mrgreen:. It helps to have good loads and good equipment. S&W supplies the revolvers. I am nearly blind in my shooting eye so get GREAT service from my Red Dot sights. This target was shot with my left eye shooting right handed. This DOES cause you to tilt your head and makes it harder to hold (our balance is better with the head held upright) but I found that I could learn to shoot that way and see the target[smilie=1:.

Those bullets are sized at .358" and are double ended wadcutters. They are also very good edible small game loads. Ed McGivern recommended full wad cutters with full loads for defense loads. The Speer manual shows 4.5 grs of Bullseye under SOLID BASE WADCUTTERS for a velocity in a 6" barrel of 933 fps (.38 Special cases and within safe pressure limits for .38 Special revolvers). That is with the top band out of the case. Ed used full wadcutter loads (NOT target velocity) in his regular shooting act. So, this goes back many, many years. Jim Cirillo told me, personally, that there is nothing better than a full load wadcutter for gun fights (he should have known as he was the leader of the New York Stakeout Squad).

All in all, a good, solid base wadcutter has many uses and has been proven over the years by many knowledgeable shooters.

Dale53

JW6108
04-04-2009, 11:26 AM

I use these DEWC's. These are great folks to deal with; they also have a link where they discuss optimizing BHN with desired velocities in mind.

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=9

MGySgt
04-08-2009, 08:28 PM
My daughter in-law has a ruger Security Six, 4 in, and the defense load is factory wad cutters. Don't need much velocity for short range work!