PDA

View Full Version : Neck size or full length size??

rudyc
04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Hello,

I have never reloaded for a lever action rifle.

Will be reloading for a Marlin 336A .32 Special and a 36 in .30-30.

If I use once fired brass that was not fired in my gun is it necessary to full length re-size or will neck sizing do it??

Thanks,

rudyc

oldhickory
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Full length size for levers.

missionary5155
04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Good morning
I only neck size my 44-40īs and they shoot just fine. The load is a 220 boolit with either 8 or 9 grains Unique.
Me I would try to neck size a fired case and see if it chambers again without any undue lever force.
Mike in Peru

BABore
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Full length size those foreign cases the first time. You can neck size after that. I run them in lots when I do this. After a specific neck sized lot has been fired, I will neck size a single round and try it in the chamber to check it. It usually takes a few firings, but eventually they will get a little too big near the base to chamber easily. When this happens, FL size the whole lot and start again.

454PB
04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I use what I call "partial full length" resizing in ALL my rifles. Find a fired case that won't chamber in your rifle, then with the sizing die backed of one full turn from touching the shell holder, size the case. Try to chamber that case, and if it won't fully chamber, screw the sizing die in 1/8 to 1/4 turn and repeat the procedure. Once you find the proper setting that will allow the case to chamber, you have the setting for your rifle. Using this method, you brass should last many firings.

NickSS
04-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I full length size all brass for lever actions and Semi autos the first loading. Once I have fired a round in the rifle I intend to use it in, I measure the distance between the case head and the beginning of the neck. I then set my full length die to resize the shell so as to move the shoulder back no more than .001 inch. This gives you good fast feeding and maximum case life. In fact I also anneal the case necks every fourth loading. I have some 30-30 brass that has lasted over 30 loadings and still going strong.

KirkD
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I full length size all brass for lever actions and Semi autos the first loading. Once I have fired a round in the rifle I intend to use it in, I measure the distance between the case head and the beginning of the neck. I then set my full length die to resize the shell so as to move the shoulder back no more than .001 inch. This gives you good fast feeding and maximum case life. In fact I also anneal the case necks every fourth loading. I have some 30-30 brass that has lasted over 30 loadings and still going strong.
That about sums it up.

atr
04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
+1 for the reply by 454PB

w30wcf
04-03-2009, 08:21 PM
+2 for 454PB's reply. I've been neck sizing .30-30 brass for many years with great results. :-D

w30wcf