PDA

View Full Version : Early SAS -TEd Smith Die sets

scrapcan
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I just got an older SAS swaging press that uses a non threaded -m die setup. It has a shoulder/groove that mounts the die into the ram using two set screws. Anyone have extras of this type of die?

This should make dies easier to build as no threading is involved.

I attached a picture of what they look like. These dies are to make a LCWS bullet in 44. I have not run a core into the die so not sure of actual diameter, but the gentleman that I bought it from used it for pistol bullets.

parts in order from left to right; push out rod goes in middle die, center is die body, right is floating punch that goes in to floating punch holder.

scrapcan
04-02-2009, 05:21 PM
here is a picture of the die in the press. one shows the floating punch holder in top of press and the other is the die in the ram.

scrapcan
04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
here is the style of SWC that the die a punch produce

pjh421
04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Its nice to see that equipment still in use by someone who will care for it. I've often thought about how to get rid of the lead shoulder short of using a point form die. You could carefully roll it in with custom rollers on a hand cannelure tool. You could bump it in using something like a .41 magnum sizer die if the die mouth had enough radius.

I've never shot one of these but I hear they lead up your gun. My swage die makes .429" boolits instead of .432 and they lead my gun something fierce. Of course this is a different problem. Wish you the best of luck with it.

Paul

Cheshire Dave
04-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Manleyjt that bullet must be what my 9mm 's would look like. Could the core be shortened till it meets the jacket and not have lead touch the bore? Your press must be even older then the one I have. Thanks for all the help..

scrapcan
04-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It is my understanding that you have to have a slight lead shoulder outside of the jacket for the dies to work as designed.

I will be trying to build a pointing die in the near future to see if you can put an ogive on the bullet. I have a few folks to talk to about turning the die body and push out punch.

CheshireDave,

Yous should make something similar. the nose may be a bit different but the same general shape should apply. you can take a cast bullet and lube it a bit and run it in the die to see what shape it will produce.

3sixbits
04-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Get hold of Robert Corbin, they learned from Ted Smith the die making business years ago. Robert will know what you are talking about. and can supply you with what you need.http://www.rceco.com/

E-mail or call the phone number and talk to Robert. He may ask you for pictures, direct him to your post.

He is the good Corbin, Dave his brother, I would never deal with.

Good luck with your new hobby. You will enjoy it, I know.

roysha
04-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Richard, not Robert.

scrapcan
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
3sixbits and roysha,

I hear you. I am very aware of the histroy of both dave and richard corbin. I have read everything I could get my hands on. In fact, Cheshire Dave is working on getting me some info that I had not seen before.

I think these old dies might be interesting to build, should be easier than having to thread everything.

Either of you have experience with the Ted Smith press or Dies?

scrapcan
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Bump,

anyone seen some of these in their or a friends junk box? Let me know as I have not had more made or found others.

scrapcan
08-26-2010, 12:24 AM
die dimensions

Left in first picture is the bottom punch

2.84 oal, bottom end .735 long by .245 diameter, shoulder .575long by .500 diameter, top end diameter and length to suite die

die 1.600 long by 0.720 diameter, set screw groove .20 wide x 0.045 deep with 45 degree chamfer on both sides of groove, groove is 0.23 ffrom die end. internal to suit you bullet diameter. it has slight lead about 0.1 long at top

top punch 0.500 inch diameter by .315 long at shoulder to fit in floating punch holder. oal length 1.810 has swc shape with small bleed hole drilled into center of top punch.

I believe one could make the dies longer to make a point forming die or to make core seat die. a core bleed die could be made with radial holes for bleed like newer screw in dies.

the set shown in the pictures are the only ones ai have and are for .429 diameter SWC style.