PDA

View Full Version : Good Casting Books

d_striker
04-02-2009, 03:07 AM
I just ordered all of my equipment and have some lead lined up. I'm already hooked and I haven't even started yet.

I have the Lee manual which has an informative chapter on bullet casting. Can you guys suggest some good books worth checking out?

At this time, I only plan on casting pistol bullets but who knows in the future.

Slow Elk 45/70
04-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Hullo D Striker, the Lyman Cast Bullet Hand Book 3rd edition, is the Gospel for our sport, RCBS Cast Bullet Loading is also out there, I would get the Lyman 1st IMHO, it's got a lot of information that will help you get started. Lyman also makes a good reloading handbook 49th edition. These are rated ahead of the Lee manual by most folks. If you want to order them, Wolf Publishing has them and Midway does also, I'm sure you can Google them and find them also.[smilie=1:
Good Luck:Fire:

Bret4207
04-02-2009, 07:46 AM
In addition to the Lyman Cast bullet book, I recommend the Handloaders Cast Bullet Annuals and "The Art of Bullet Casting" from Wolfe publishing. All are out of print, all are available used.
Veral Smiths book, "Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets" is good but you have to remember it doesn't take an LBT mold to make the theories work.

If I can give any advice it's this- do not fall for the advertising hype. You don't NEED a hard boolit to shoot well. Hard alloys can work- if they fit the gun. Without proper fit all your hard alloy will do is cost you money and make removing the leading that much harder.