PDA

View Full Version : Pure Lead Question???

jleneave
04-02-2009, 01:43 AM
I am sure this question has probably been asked a thousand times, sorry for asking it again. I have a friend that got a really good deal on range scrap from an indoor range. I am guessing that the lead is pure or pretty close to it because it is really soft. He is wanting to use it for casting pistol bullets in 9mm, .40S&W, .38spl/.357mag, .44spl/.44mag, .45LC, and .45ACP. What does he need to do to be able to use this lead for the above pistol calibers. He has access to WW. Would he be better off mixing WW to make them harder or something else and what ratio of WW to pure lead would make it hard enough for pistol bullets? I want to make sure that I tell him the correct way to use the lead. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jody

armyrat1970
04-02-2009, 07:10 AM
I am sure this question has probably been asked a thousand times, sorry for asking it again. I have a friend that got a really good deal on range scrap from an indoor range. I am guessing that the lead is pure or pretty close to it because it is really soft. He is wanting to use it for casting pistol bullets in 9mm, .40S&W, .38spl/.357mag, .44spl/.44mag, .45LC, and .45ACP. What does he need to do to be able to use this lead for the above pistol calibers. He has access to WW. Would he be better off mixing WW to make them harder or something else and what ratio of WW to pure lead would make it hard enough for pistol bullets? I want to make sure that I tell him the correct way to use the lead. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jody

I would think that all of the bullets picked up at the range are not pure lead. Mixing with wws and maybe water quenching should give enough BHN for the calibers he is loading for. Of course pressure and velocity can make a difference in the amount of leading and the higher velocity rounds like the 9mm, 40S&W and 357 will need to be checked for leading.
I would feel if he mixed the range pickups 50/50 with wws and water quenched them from the mold he should be okay. If there is any excess leading he can change the mix with more or less wws or adjust the charge for lower velocity and pressure.

Cherokee
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I would smelt the range lead in as big a batch as possible, then cast some bullets in it. See how much they weigh in relation to the same bullet cast from WW's and air cooled. Then can decide how much mixing of the range and WW would be desired. I have found range lead to be as hard or harder than WW's. YMMV Bullet size fit is realy important to avoid leading. WW bullets with good fit don't lead in my handgun loads 700 to 1200 fps.

snaggdit
04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I've never had leading issues with air cooled WW either in those calibers. If he is looking to push 357 or 44 Mag bollits top end, he might want to consider water dropping for those. Otherwise, as others have said, too hard is just as bad as too soft for leading. Softer makes a better seal in the barrel. At 800-1200fps, bhn 10-14 will be fine. As Cherokee said, try casting some from the range scrap straight and see how they compare weight wise to WW. If they are heavier, it is purer lead. If lighter, more tin/antimony.

jleneave
04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will pass this info on to him. Thanks again!!

Jody